When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I would love if they could compete with Nvidia again, but I’m not holding my breath.

Rumors/leaks say the 2080ti will be 35% faster than the 1080ti. Historically, we would have expected the 2080 to have roughly this performance level and be available around $600.

Again, spending all that silicon budget on ray-tracing puts Nvidia in a tough spot-- if you want a substantial performance gain over the 1080ti, you need to spend twelve hundred dollars.

Or at least it would be a tough spot, if AMD had anything to compete.

So what’s a guy like me with a 980ti and a hankerin’ to upgrade to do? 1080tis can be found for about $629 on the low end, but even that seems like a lot of money. Will they go down in price or just disappear?

1080tis may drop further in price a little bit, but I wouldn’t bet on it, and they will disappear once everybody sells out of inventory. Rumors/leaks say the 2080 will offer basically the same performance (plus ray-tracing, of course) but they will start at $800 and will be very hard to buy until probably, late November.

Barring some unspeakably good deal, it appears I’ll probably ride out my 1070 until whatever they bring next year.

I’m totally ok with that.

Yep, I’m doing the same with my 1080. If a bunch of games come out that support ray-tracing I may reconsider at some point, but most likely I’m sitting out this generation even though I have the cash in hand ready to spend.

Same. My machine is still going strong after 6.5 years (I have upgraded video card twice). I’m not really using it much right now anyway.

I will probably start seriously planning my next upgrade when we have a firm release date for Cyberpunk.

Looks like 1080ti for me then, due to the price point.

Or go all crazy like me and consider this, selling my regular 1080 and get a EVGA 1080ti and then do a EVGA step-upgrade to a 2080 or a 2080ti , in the 90 day window if the performance is worth it.

I kind of forgot EVGA had the step-up program. I haven’t one of their cards in a long time, although years ago I did like their customer service.

Step up is limited, so don’t count on it. It’s kinda like a happy accident if it works, otherwise, it’s unreliable for the latest stuff. Sorry

So how do warranties work on the second hand card market? I’m assuming you would need the original receipt… Would it matter if it wasn’t you who originally bought it?

So if I am willing to spend up to $450 (but not really much more than that) it looks like my best options are 1080 or vega 64 (they have both had sales for $400-450 lately). It looks like there’s nothing in the next 8 months that I’ll be able to get for that price to upgrade my R9 Fury with, as I’m betting the 2060 will be around a 1070 and that’s not worth the $400 the trend seems to make that out to be.

So Newegg had that Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 back in stock… and by the time I log in it’s sold out again.

Arg someone I trust (at least more than random ebayer) is selling a lightly used 1080 for $350. Everything I have is Freesync (including my 4k monitor coming in later today) and I don’t really have any desire to go g-sync in the future. Seems like hell of a deal to me to upgrade from my R9 Fury (non-X) and I’m getting really close to pulling the trigger.

If you don’t have a 4k monitor, that 1080 will play everything at >60fps anyway so you don’t need adaptive sync.

But, umm, I just actually read your post so, yeah.

Actually that’s a good point. I don’t necessarily care about having everything turned up to max, so if a 1080 would let me play most games at medium-high at 4k at 60fps I should be fine with just fast sync…

You don’t want to use fast sync, that specific technology is only useful for esports type games that the GPU can render far above the monitor’s refresh rate.

The 1080 should handle 4k games at medium settings at 60fps with no difficulty. If you’re looking for high settings, you really need a 1080ti. But note that at 4k resolution on a monitor-sized screen, you really don’t need anti-aliasing as all the pixels are tiny anyway.

Hopefully this current crash in bitcoin continues so prices don’t get (more) insane once the new cards ship.

Bitcoin has been on dedicated ASICs for quite awhile now, the recent GPU price spike came from Ethereum. Umm, not that it matters.

Anyway, personally, I hope the irrational cryptocurrency exuberance abates. You read stories about ditch diggers putting themselves in debt buying GPUs to mine ethereum and losing everything. It’s become a get rich quick scheme for these people.