When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I made it up. I think.

On Nvidiaā€™s latest investor call they said they will be selling Turing and Pascal cards throughout the holiday season. One way to take this is that Turing will sell the high end and they will be selling the 1060 and 1050 for the low/mid tiers. That combined with the fact that they havenā€™t announced a 2060 yet makes me think 2060 is a Q1 2019 card.

Which actually makes sense because the consumer Navi (AMD) cards are expected sometime in Q1 2019 while the new AMD pro cards are coming out end of this year. So Iā€™d bet that Nvidia is waiting to see what AMD is capable of with the Pro line to guess what their consumer lines are going to be and use that for 2060 and 2050 targeting.

Interesting. Weā€™ll see :)

Got my 1080 today (turned out to be a EVGA superclocked with a 3 year transferable warranty as well!). Pretty stoked for $350 shipped, especially if I can sell my R9 Fury for $180-200). So far itā€™s giving me a good 40-60% higher FPS in benchmarks, and about 35% in Monster Hunter (though from what Iā€™ve heard MH isnā€™t the most optimized game).

The tearing sucks, and in MH at least being capped at 60 fps isnā€™t helping much (though I had problems with Freesync with my Fury). Freesync wasnā€™t enough for it to be worth it to get a Vega 64 instead for significantly more money but the 1080 will be good for me, and maybe if Navi turns out to be something good Iā€™ll upgrade next year.

Also itā€™s quite funny how much quieter it is than the Fury, and how I went from 16 power pins to 8.

Iā€™ve read that MHW is not supposed to have a cap. Three settings, 30, 60, no limit. I still havenā€™t purchased my GPU yet, but I planed on taxing it on that game first. Aside from ARK, MHW should be the one game I have that will really use a beefy GPU.

MHW is glass smooth on my 1080, never seen a FPS dip or a stutter, and thatā€™s with everything maxed at 1440p. I am on a Gsync monitor so that may help as well.

Dropping down to 1440p I get full 60fps cap on highest setting. At 4k I can get 50-55 consistent at low with some things modified upwards.

I didnā€™t realize you were on 4K! Thank you for the info on what itā€™s running like on it. Still debating on whether 4K is worth the cost to me right now, since it likely would mean a replacement of my 1080 Iā€™m really happy with at 1440p. A new 20XX card with a 4K Gsync display is not going to be cheap.

I only went 4k because 4k + Freesync was cheaper than 1440p + Freesync (but then I changed to Nvidia so there goes FS). That being said while playing around with settings I really donā€™t notice much of a difference between 1440p upscaled to 4k vs 4k native on this monitor (though I donā€™t really have the eye for those style of details while active in the game).

So if you are like me then the 4k transition isnā€™t AS expensive as you think because you can get a 4k monitor and game at 1440p until the time you decide to upgrade your video card as well. This worked well for me because my desktop is also used for my job and the higher resolution helped a lot in that regard (so I still get the 4k benefit outside of gaming).

Sighā€¦

Thatā€™s not a great sign. With the 1080, Nvidia lifted the embargo 10 days before it shipped to consumers.

My fingerā€™s been hovering near the ā€œcancelā€ button on the 2080 Ti since I put in the ā€œwell, Iā€™ll get in the queue and then see if I really want itā€ order on announce day.

Now theyā€™re talking about reviews going live the same day, or even a day after, most retailers will probably ship ā€œdelivers on launch dayā€ cards.

No, that doesnā€™t make me nervous at all.

It will be out of stock for a long time, worst-case scenario you can always re-sell for a profit, same as a launch-day iPhone.

Wrong Forum

Another article showing that at least in 3DMark, the 2080ā€™s performance is similar to that of the 1080Ti:

Well, its MSRP at $700 is identical to the 1080ti, so you arenā€™t losing any performance for your dollar, at least.

This would have been a real opportunity for AMD, but Navi is delayed until 2019 and Vega doesnā€™t compete with 1080ti-class performance. So Nvidia will get away with it.

If itā€™s the same performance as last gen, but 25% of the chip is the new raytracing stuffā€¦ thatā€™s actually pretty cool. Itā€™s not just a minor feature they really invested into it.

I feel like this is very annoying for those of us with 970s.

It looks like my 1080ti will stick around for a while, unless ray tracing somehow explodes into a must-have.