When do the next generation GPUs drop?

My GTX1080 fit fine, but now you got me all paranoid!

I’ll be measuring later today. :p

I think the 3 GB was cheaper, but why would you want one?

Yeah, it launched at $199. Certainly the best option at that price point, but the extra fifty bucks was worth it.

I’ve got a RX470 in my current Ryzen 7 build (Freesync monitor, too). Worse, I’ve got about $350 cash burning a hole in my pocket. I’m eyeing a RX580.

Someone please talk me out of it. It’s not really worth the upgrade is it? I mean, I don’t play new launch games; it usually takes me a year or so to get to something in my backlog. I just fired up Batman Arkham Knight on the weekend (looks fantastic, BTW).

RX 580 is only about $250 new on Newegg. If you are willing to spend $350 then going for a 1070 will get you better performance, or if you don’t mind used a 1080. Sometimes I’ve seen vega 56s down to $350 but you’ll just have to hunt the sale sights like a hawk.

So a 580 will get you about 30% better performance (according to techpowerup). if that’s worth it just depends how happy you are with your current framerate.

It ended up being more than that, due to the higher demand for the 6 gb cards, I got one for 270 though, and it has been awesome.

I’m kinda wondering if this might finally be the generation to upgrade my venerable R9 290X. But considering the most graphically taxing thing I play is currently Dragon Quest XI, I’m going to guess “No.” When I can get 1080TI performance for about $250, I think I’m onboard. So maybe the 3060Ti in a year and a half! :)

Requoting so people stay sane.

I don’t think this chart is accurate, the 1070 has basically the same performance as the 980ti in real world benchmarks.

Yeah, they are roughly equivalent.

960 = 1050ti = capable 1080p card
970 = 1060 = smokes 1080p, decent 1440p card
980ti = 1070 = smokes 1440p, weak 4k card
1070ti ~= 1080 = 2080 = decent 4k card (pending 20-series benchmarks)
1080ti ~= 2080ti = good 4k card (pending 20-series benchmarks)

My GTX 960 is just getting a bit slow for what I need, which is a flawless 1080p stream to my Steam Link (seems to require around 40-50FPS), plus good VR gaming for my Occulus. Note, the 960 is better at VR than many people would give it credit for, but the highest requirement games are a no-go.

Seems like we’re still waiting a few months for the next push in the $400 range, while the current release is in the $700-800 range.

The original minimum requirement for VR was a 970. They dropped it since then with some optimizations but it’s still a reasonable starting point.

Yeah, I would look closely at the 2060 when it releases. Even if it’s just a rebadged 1070, that would be a very substantial performance upgrade for you. Hopefully it’s a rebadged 1070ti or a real turing part, though.

It depends on what you’re doing in VR. With X-Plane 11 and Prepar3D v4.3, I’m confident I will still be able to bring a 2080ti to its knees.

Subnautica and Superhot - not so resource hungry.

Would you need to upgrade your motherboard to accommodate a new video card?

Technically I think so as I think mine may not have the latest PCIE, but I sort of inherited a new (unused) 7th gen Intel board and cpu from dad that he didn’t need for a reason longer than I can type now :-)

I had lousy VR performance in Subnautica when I tried it with my 970 recently. IIRC I had to use a combination of Low and Medium settings to get it playable, though I’m sure my now ancient CPU (3570k) doesn’t help.

Yes, another game telling me that it’s time to upgrade. The game is pretty demanding even at 1080p.

No kidding. This is my biggest concern with the new cards, that they still won’t nail the ridiculous frames required for nausea free VR in flight sims… and this is with version 1 of the tech. What happens when a new Oculus comes out at a higher res?