When do the next generation GPUs drop?

We get reamed over here for this sort of thing; the cheapest 1080ti I can find is US$850 but most are UD$900-1100.

Very few 2080 prices and no 2080ti but one of our bigger PC retailers is advertising an EVGA 2080 for about US$1200 give or take.

For not much more I could buy an ok gaming laptop with a 1070 or something.

Linus Tech Tips - you know, the past six months or so Iā€™ve had an increasing impression that he and they are increasingly acting like brats. ā€œLets smash an imac and show the world how unfair Appleā€™s repair policies and prices are!ā€. ā€œGoogles unlimited storage is a sham! Weā€™re backing up 10 petabytes daily!ā€ ā€œAMDā€™s 32 Core FU to Intel!ā€. I donā€™t know, maybe just burned out on it and Iā€™ll come back, but I just hit the unsubscribe button the other day.

If I lived there I would configure my browser to remove the words ā€œ1440pā€ and ā€œ4Kā€ and pretend those didnā€™t exist, then live in bliss gaming at 1080p60.

I play a lot of stuff in 4k, if I switch to 1080p, my old eyes can barely tell the difference! :D

Luckily I tend to play less GPU-demanding games as a rule but thereā€™s always the odd oneā€¦I do have a 4k tv for the XBox One S howeverā€¦

Pre order shipments of the 2080Ti have been delayed from Nvidia. The email I got said they will have an update later. Not sure whatā€™s up.

I donā€™t like that crap either, I want to smack him most of the time. YouTube algorithms are a harsh mistress. They have no real choice in the matter unless heā€™s willing to downsize.

To be honest that was the first Linus video Iā€™ve been able to tolerate in a while. Especially since heā€™s the only person (at least that Iā€™ve seen) to do some digging and supposedly had a developer willing to come on and show them RTX on vs off stuff until (presumably) Nvidia forced them to back off. He is also the only one of the videos I saw that benchmarked the 2080 and 2080TI in non-game applications and showed that they had massive performance for non-game work over the 1080ti.

Canā€™t wait to see the fps increase when I throw my RTX2080 against this game:

According to Digital Foundry DLSS is rendering at 1440p, then doing itā€™s magical algorithms to upscale it to 4k.

So not magic AA, itā€™s a reconstruction technique.

EDIT: I have to say it take some balls to call a reconstruction technique ā€œsuper samplingā€.

Interesting stuff thanks.

Iā€™m still waiting on tensorflow benchmarks to see how these tensor cores perform relative to 1080/1080Ti. If anyone sees anything please let me know.

Amazon is finally showing Gigabyte RTX2080 cards as Temp OOS, so you can still pre-order one. The last few days just about every card anywhere has been OOS. And ofcourse Ebay has tons of cards listed from resellers for twice the price.

Iā€™ve been buying their brand of graphics cards since 2012, with no issues. They also offer the longest warranty as far as I am aware, at 4 years.

An unboxing of the beast over at Tech Critter:

What Iā€™m wondering is what do the aib cards offer over nvidia fe this time. Guru3d did a review of a gigabyte 2080 and werenā€™t sure it was worth getting over the nvidia card. Iā€™ve been on the fence, and cancelled my preorder while I figure out which card to get. I like the evga 1070 I have, and would likely go with them again.

Thanks, I was not aware!

Found it!!!

@vyshka, Iā€™ve seen a few site mention that the AIB cards are up to 10c cooler due to their triple fan configs.

Will upcoming CPUs contain the Meltdown and Spectre problems? (Not BS software ā€œfixesā€)

Not for another year or two.

CPU design is a process that literally takes years. These things now contain billions of billions of transistors. And Intel was (and is still) having nightmares with getting to 10nm even before Spectre and Meltdown reared their heads.

Thereā€™s a chart showing hardware vs software mitigation in this article:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13301/spectre-and-meltdown-in-hardware-intel-clarifies-whiskey-lake-and-amber-lake