When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I will never spend more than 400 on a graphics card. Your move ATI.

The difference this time seems to be that even maintenance purchases–buying a card to maintain or maybe marginally improve your performance because your existing card is old or faulty or whatever–are being pushed way up the cost ladder. If the current gen cards go the way of the dodo, as folks are saying they will, there won’t be any choices except what really are high-end cards or bottom feeders. It seems that way, at least.

For sure. We need AMD to stop sucking.

AMD is a lot like me. We can only do one thing at a time!

My guess is the 2060 will be a rebadged 1070ti (if we’re lucky) or 1070 (if we’re not).

No point to offering raytracing cores when even the 2080 doesn’t really have the juice to raytrace 1080p.

Yeah, and you could get really nice midrange cards for under $200.

Exactly @Brad_Grenz.

I do wonder if there will be a nice secondary market now, though. I’d have no problem doing a little due diligence on a 1080Ti someone wants to unload for cheap after they bought their $1200 monstrosity to take its place.

Or for Intel to actually be serious in their new discrete gpu effort.

I feel like this could be the next Microsoft is really committed to PC Gaming spiel, and then they release something like the Windows App store very few, if anyone wants.

I could see them getting serious about the work as a side effect of cuda/hpc efforts. More money in that for them I imagine.

Yeah, there are a lot of GPU focused super computing efforts now that are passing them by.

It will be interesting to see what Intel’s 2020 discreet GPU looks like.

So, that’s one big card. The 1080 wasn’t exactly compact. Relieved my case had plenty of room.

Now the 1080 goes in my second PC and a 980ti finds a new home…

Heh-- $300 was the high end back in '99-2000. ;-)

Tempus fugit, I know.

Cool case Denny :) What are the thermals like of cardboard?

I was reading on wtf is DirectX 12 so special over 11 and came up with this from @Brad_Wardell. After I sniggered a little bit about Brad’s prediction failing to come true (there is only a negligible amount of AAA DirectX 12 games on the market after 3+ years), it occurred me that ray tracing may be another white elephant like DirectX 12. For whatever reason, developer support is just not there for DirectX 12.

Now I am not a game developer, just a curious gamer, but I am swaying back to “wait and see for at least a year regarding RTX support in games” instead of “buy buy buy 2080 Ti now now now if I have cash to burn”. What if nobody (or just a handful) bothered to support this, or people found ways to do similar things without ray tracing hardware? DLSS again may be another white elephant, depending on developer support.

For the brave souls that bought 2080/Ti already, I salute you. You are my canary in the mine.

Until RTX support is literally free, in terms of dev time and performance across a wide range of players, the only developers who are going to support it are the ones who are a) paid by Nvidia, or b) led by people who love to try out the latest tricks no matter what it costs.

Right now, there’s no reason to spend dev time on RTX when there are only thousands of people in the world who can experience it.

DLSS seems to be legit; it has low developer effort to implement and major (maybe unbelievable) 40% performance benefit compared to higher-end anti-aliasing.

You could argue that anti-aliasing is obsolete if you are rendering at 4K. But for lower end cards and those of us running 1440p or 1080p- anti-aliasing is still useful so DLSS could be a reason to get the newer generation.

Some of them support DLSS, others ray tracing. AFAIK none will support both at the same time.

IMO there is clearly a business side to the relative failure of DirectX 12, not just about efficiency: PS4 being as popular as it is, whereas DirectX 12 is only supported by Xbone and Windows 10, why would AAA multi-platform publishers spend extra resources to optimize their games for Xbone and Windows 10 exclusively?

RTX and DLSS at this point are PC/Windows 10 exclusive. Other than curious developers testing waters, there is little business case in pouring resources onto a technology that doesn’t really earn them money on PS4 AND Xbone. It becomes a vicious cycle if the initial hype dies down: if people don’t care about ray tracing and/or DLSS, or the first wave games failed to lift sales, there will be very little incentive for publishers to spend money on R&D to make games to work on RTX hardware.

+1