When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Hahahaha. May I please use that line? This so sums up my opinion of cards these last years–which is why I’m still on my 960. I dread the day I decide to upgrade my displays or rebuild my system and absolutely need to get a new card.

At this point I am just going to wait for the next great display that gets released for a sane price. 4k HDR gsync. Then I will just eat the costs of what ever it takes to drive it. If the stupid bitmining fiasco hadn’t happened I would have gotten a 1080ti.

It’s a bummer because my 970s struggle with VR but I can live with 1900x1200 for now.

Can someone explain to me how AMD got so far behind Nvidia? They bought ATI or its tech a good while back, right? I’d always read that the “Red” side was slow to update drivers or that said drivers often sucked. Is that the reason?

AMD is trying to compete with Intel and Nvidia at the same time. That’s not easy especially when those companies are focused on just one of the two and are bigger(Intel is gigantic compared to them). The fact AMD is doing what they are with Ryzen is hugely impressive. Hope they can do something close on the GPU side.

Intel and nVidia are both also really into anti-competitive and unscrupulous practices. Makes it hard to gain an edge.

New cables here, and… HDMI out of my RTX2080 still showing sparkles. I tried all 3 new cables from Amazon, same issue. I tried 4 different HDMI ports on my main PC/tv, sparkles on each one. I tried the other 4k tv across the house (what fun it was lugging my pc over to it), same issue.

I plugged in my old GTX1080 back into my pc, getting a 4k60 signal over HDMI no issue.

I think the HDMI port on my RTX2080 is defective.

Any suggestions before I hit the refund button on Amazon? @stusser @Editer @Brad_Grenz

Seems like you covered the bases. It could be a software glitch but if so you should find other people with the same issue very soon.

If you’re sure they’re HDMI 2.0+ cables then yeah, time to RMA.

You could also try reducing the refresh rate, or using a shorter cable.

I checked the amazon page,

Meets the latest HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth); supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps; backwards compatible with earlier versions.

Lowering the screen refresh rate should make them go away if it was a bandwidth issue , right?

I dropped down to 30hz and it made it worse.

This is what it looks like at 4k60hz.

This is what it looks like at 4k30hz.

That looks like bad video ram to me.

Yeah something is seriously messed up with this card, I just set up a return to Amazon for tomorrow.

Ah well… What a fun 10+ hours of troubleshooting over the last few days. Also I own a bunch of new HDMI cables!

Yeah, tough luck man.

Yep yep, think I’ll try a EVGA when they come in stock mid october.

When are the 3080’s coming out? :D

I ordered direct from EVGA on the 20th and got it last Tuesday. The only downside from ordering there is you’ll have to pay about $12 shipping, but better than the tax at amazon.

Yeah I was looking at their site, which card did you get?

I like how under the price, it says, “Starting at $71/month”. Kind of a reality check for just how expensive these things are getting. $799.99 is over half of what I paid for my current Alienware desktop rig.

The day I have to make monthly payments on a video card is the day I tell myself, “I think I’d better save up for a while instead.” Good thing this thread had already talked me into waiting until the next gen, because otherwise I might have been tempted.

I have made monthly payments on a gaming rig before, but never on a single component.

Thanks for that link, which started this train of thought. I now realize I need to set some money aside from each paycheck from now on for a video card fund. And maybe a power supply fund. And a monitor fund. And memory. And SSD. This “PC master race” thing, when adjusted for inflation, is just as expensive now as it was 25 years ago when I first got into it. Maybe more!

OTOH, I’m not buying computers nearly as often as I used to, so maybe it evens out. My last one went for 7 years (with a few upgrades of course), whereas in the early years, I’d be buying a whole new rig every two years.

It’s been a long time since I literally could not play a game due to the hardware I had. I remember building a computer once and 6 months later I had a machine that did not meet the minimum specs. My current computer is from 2012. My new computer, I’m just waiting to buy a GPU. If I can get almost 7 years out of that one too, that would be pretty remarkable.

I did do two upgrades on the old one though, one GPU upgrade and two SSDs.

My previous system lasted 5 years with 1 gpu upgrade. This system I built about 2.5 years ago, and I imagine will last at least that long possibly longer. The main thing I need to deal with at this point is adding more storage, so another $160 to add another 1tb samsung ssd. Right now it seems like I’m routinely uninstalling things to make space to install something else, especially with recent titles taking 50-100+ gb. The i7 kabylake cpu, the 32gb ram, and the new 2080 will do plenty well until I plan to upgrade.