When do the next generation GPUs drop?

OMG I would love a 120Hz phone. Sadly Qualcomm can’t seem to drive 1920x1080 at a non-embarrassing framerate in the bare vanilla launcher anyway so that’s probably a good 10 years out for us Android plebs.

Take a look at the raw data:
Capture

There are at least two points where it took 2080 Ti to render the frame around 50 ms, i.e. @ around 20fps, I highlighted it in red (excuse my unsteady mouse hand). That means the game was a slide show at that moment. These are sandwiched between times where the framerate is around 30 FPS and even 60 FPS. It is EXACTLY those troughs in framerate that will take me out of the moment and notice the stutter. It will be even more noticeable if one moment you are silky smooth 60 FPS, the next moment you drop to 20 FPS, and then you spike back to 60 FPS again. (Kind of like the stutter in Android UI I see on my phone: blink and you miss the stutter, but it is there, vs. iOS’s silky smooth animation.)

So I wouldn’t disagree with you that 94.5% of the time the game is at least 60fps. On paper that looks good enough. But it is the sudden drop in framerate I mentioned that breaks the spell of smoothness. That is why CoD steady 60fps is a gold standard: at that rate it is silky smooth, no matter what happens on screen.

Now sudden drop in framerate does not necessarily matter. If the game drops to a slide show while you are watching paint dry, you probably won’t notice anything. In shooter, where there is rapid change in perspective, you WILL notice. You will notice when you move the mouse e.g. for a 180 turn, but the visual information you see on the monitor does not match your input because of the suddenly low framerate.

Now I’m not as sensitive as @KevinC. I can take steady 30fps (probably because I am used to slideshow framerate while playing XCOM on my very old machine). And I’d rather take a steady 30fps rather than 94.5% 60fps with occasional stutter into 20fps. This I think will be a point of personal preference more than anything.

I just retired a computer last month. I think it has a gpu older than a 750, but let me take a look at the card in it when I get home later this evening.

I no longer really play FPS, but this is incredibly important. Stuttering/jittering gets you killed in multiplayer shooters. For example, CSGO pro players are almost all playing at 240Hz now.

In BFBC2 8/9 years ago, I had a friend who was playing on a craptop at probably 15-30 fps (with obvious dips). When he finally upgraded to something that could manage a steady framerate, his average KD went from somewhere around 0.5 to 1 and was able to play more than a supporting role.

Not too surprising, considering the price and how late the release was in the month. Will be interesting to see if it moves at all in October, or is a complete flop.

Given that I can go to Amazon and buy one right now with free 2-day Prime delivery, it is definitely not setting the world on fire. Good AIB versions too, not Founders. The 1080 was impossible to get for months.

Yep, too pricey for the performance shown, if they had RTX and DLSS working in games at release that might be another story.

2080ti, is popular though, sold out lots of places.

Still waiting on my Amazon refund.

Yes, the highest-end is sold out. That’s a huge chip, they probably didn’t release very many to the market.

How could a newly released card possibly show up as widely used on Steam? Am I missing something?

Widely, no. It wouldn’t see wide adaption by now but it doesn’t even look like it’s showing, at all. It is interesting the lower two are going up 1060/1050.

I mean last generation isn’t really widely used either, the ones these new ones are replacing.

Say Steam has 100 million users. Even the least common GPUs have about 0.2% share, or 200,000 users, right? So the 2080s were expected to sell 200,000 ish in 2 weeks?

Not that I know how their survey works. Maybe if there were 5 2080 users, that would show up as a really low percentage. But the 1080 Ti is at only 1.5% and its been around for how long? I’m not seeing a lot of scope for the recent mega cards to make a visible dent in these numbers yet. I’d expect them to climb to say 1% over time if they were successful, but probably not this week.

I replaced an i7 bought in 2008 with an i7 8700k, kept the 970. Smoother & faster & twice the RAM but it’s not like the older system wasn’t getting the job done (it’s my youngest son’s now). One of the the nicest changes? All those USB 3 ports on the Gigabyte Aorus motherboard. Go figure.

I managed to install the 2nd hand GTX980 yesternight. The guy I got it from is one of those who got a brand new spanking 2080Ti. So it’s not surprising that the numbers of adopters are creeping up.

I came from a GTX660 so the upgrade blew me away. At full settings I’m gettting 60fps in Grim Dawn as compared to 40fps at low settings in the old card!

I’ll just live vicariously through you guys with the new 2080Ti as I always do when I hear you guys talk about ridiculous framerates.

But my eyes are glad and content for the massive upgrade to the GTX980.

With apologies to Midnight Run: We got the duke!
I was planning on just going with a 2080 but they seem pretty weak, so I bit the bullet and used the stock finder to track down an MSI Duke, should be here early next week.

So of course I had to upgrade from 24" 1080 P, I have the Samsung CHG70 coming. I am not big on curved screens and I really want a Gsync monitor, but HDR + Gsync starts at $2k, so that’s not happening. This will hold me over until HDR Gsync monitors are much more reasonably priced.

My FE Ti is due to arrive tomorrow. I’m such a loser. Can’t wait though. :)

Well, I’ve gone and done it. There’s an EVGA 1070Ti on Amazon for $410, and I figure that’s going to last me at least five or six years, so I’m within one generation of the state of the art for the first time since 2011.

That’s a great price for a card that good. Nice!

We were discussing that the 2060 will likely have 1070 Ti performance (or less) for around that budget, so it is a good purchase.

My guess is the 2060 will be a rebadged 1070 or 1070ti, yeah. 1070ti is substantially better than a 1070, it’s basically a 1080 in most games.

Fuck FedEx Ground.