When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I’m glad I’m sitting this round out.
So much anxiety and uncertainty in this thread lately. :-)

I’m super excited my own self.

I do admit to a bit of jealousy as well.

Don’t be jealous, I’ve not upgraded in five years, so I’m overdue.

I do miss the excitement of shopping for parts, and then building the thing.
Haven’t done that in well over a decade.
Of my last three PCs, the first two were Stusserbeasts, and the third one (this one) I put zero effort into, and just grabbed an Alienware and called it good. That was two years ago, and although I’m feeling the itch again, I have no reason to, as this one is still doing just fine.

However, I can feel your excitement come through in your words, so I’m excited for you, and am having fun following along. It’s nearly as good as doing it myself. Can’t wait to see it once it’s done!

I just want a video card at a good price. I simply can’t decide what that is… I was excited when I built it, but this last piece is ugh.

Yeah, I’m wanting to hear from a GTR owner who thinks its an awesome upgrade for current software versus a 1070ti or 1080 series, but new stuff is like candy to a gadget freak. Amazon isn’t helping by offering to break up the card into 5 even payments over 5 months.

Why? You already know how they perform on existing games. The 2080 is basically the same as a 1080ti but a couple hundred bucks more expensive, and the 2080ti is ~25% faster than a 1080ti for roughly double the price.

If you buy a 2080, you’re buying into the promise of ray-traced games. And if you buy a 2080ti, you’re all-in on raytracing and/or need the fastest GPU available at any price.

In a month or so the 1080ti won’t be available to purchase new and the decision will be a bit easier.

That might actually be the right outcome. :)

Most of my local shops sold out of 1080 Ti already. It is scary that it is a value proposition compared with 2080.

So amazon refunded my money, now I am here trying to decide if I get another 2080 (might just go with a founders edition from best buy), or save a bit for a 2080ti or just wait on the next gen cards. :|

I’m playing in a lower league than the 2080 series, but fairly excited because I’m planning a full build for the first time in a long time. I would have pulled the trigger to get it going, but I’m in the process of moving and a new pile of parts and boxes isn’t wanted at the moment.

Current build plan is:
i3-8300 - as fast as an i7-8700 at games.
RTX 2060 - hopefully 8Gb for large 1440p textures into the next several years.
M-itx or MATX format case
500W or 550 PSU
2-3 SSDs
B360 chipset and motherboard to save money
16GB DDR4 ram.

Likely towards the end of November as my Christmas present.

Very nice, but perhaps a RTX2070, no?

My guess is it will be on par with a GTX1080 , but with DLSS and RTX stuff added.

Yeah, I got a positive impression of the DLSS stuff; as mentioned up thread it seems to not require a lot of developer effort, so it should be supported over time. If the 2070 has DLSS and the 2060 doesn’t, I’ll probably upgrade.

Even though in Canuck dollars the 2070 would be a more expensive video card than I could have even imagined a few years ago.

I doubt that, because the 2080 can barely handle 1080p with ray-tracing on. DLSS perhaps, ray-tracing no.

I still think the 2070 will be a rebranded 1070ti or 1070.

I’ve learned that Brad’s 3 years often ends up being 10 years.

Not that these things aren’t need, but tech doesn’t develop nearly as quickly now due to financial constraints.

Oh, was your earlier post a mistake? I was really hoping for the 2060 to be a big enough upgrade for my 960 that I’d look at it as a potential for early next year. The *70 series of cards pushes my budget too much for the type of gaming I do.

No, my later one was! I guess the 2070 could be a rebadged 1070ti if the 2060 is a rebadged 1070, but that would be a very poor value proposition for consumers unless they were priced pretty cheaply.

If I had to hazard a guess, the 2070 will be a binned 2080. Some of its cores disabled, probably lower clockspeeds.

@Scott123, unless you’re the type of person to never upgrade your processor, I’d go for the Z390 chipset on the motherboard. You can get one for as low as $130 now (maybe even cheaper by November) and it will open the door to using high-end 9th gen processors should you ever decide to upgrade the CPU.

Some specs of the 2070 are here, it has its own unique gpu, nothing disabled no re-badging.

We’ll see if they are right, but they seem to assume it will be a smidgen better than a GTX1080.