When do the next generation GPUs drop?

nVidia are pretty consistent bad actors. They make good hardware which should speak for itself, but they never seem able to resist their anti-consumer, anti-competitive, unethical impulses. It’s the reason I refuse to buy their cards.

HardOCP compared it to a factory overclocked 1080, so that’s fair.

When HardOCP contacted Nvidia about getting RTX samples, they were told they would get them if they signed the NDA. They had a lawyer look at it, and it was pretty off the wall stuff in terms of media control, so they didn’t sign it and instead sourced the card themselves.

Keep in mind that every other outlet reviewing RTX hardware did sign that NDA.

Nvidia is in a dominant position in the market, and they’re flexing their muscles.

I think someone in this topic asked about pre-builds and the new cards, so I am putting this here. This is from Slickdeals.

$1643

SPEC:
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Thermaltek View 21 2x Side Tempered Glass Chassis
Core i7-8700K
Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Water Cooler
iBUYPOWER 1 RGB Lighting Strip
ASROCK Z390 PRO 4 / ASUS PRIME Z390-P / MSI Z390-A PRO
16GB DDR4L (2x 8GB) 3000 MHz Ram
480 GB ADATA SU650 SSD
Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 Graphics
iBUYPOWER Gaming Keyboard
iBuypower RGB 3200 DPI 6 Button Optical Mouse
iBuypower Gaming Mouse Pad
650W Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 80+ Gold Modular PSU

FREE SOFTWARE
Intel Q3 Adobe Creative Bundle
Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 full game
SUGGESTION: Pick up Octa Core i7-9700K by paying $24 extra

I have not used this company before, but they frequently come up on deal sites.

All the other reviews for the 2070 are out now. Looks to be around 10-15% slower than a 1080ti at stock and 5-10% slower when overclocked. I’m leaning towards the 2080 if I do upgrade this round.

I don’t go there often, but historically I’ve always thought they were one of the better, more through review sites and tend to rate their opinion relatively high.

I’ve read HardOCP for over a decade, they’re great. Popularity fading these days as more of it moves to YouTube and such, but still certainly legitimate.

As for the 2070, I basically think this generation is going to be seen as a failure. Nvidia would really bleed if AMD was capable of competition.

Yep the more performance numbers and prices I see for the RTX20xx cards the more bitter I become.

If the RTX2080ti was released as a RTX2080 @ $900 and the other cards then fall in line, I think the consensus would have been it is a great generation.

AMD get off your ass and do something. :|

October is over in 2 weeks and still no DLSS or RTX capable games available.

Yes, that would have been appropriate. The 2070 should be as fast as a 1080ti and cost about $400. That’s what everybody expected based on pricing and performance in previous generations. Instead, they have their VALUE card priced at $600.

At this point I expect the 2060 to launch at $400.

Yep, and I am betting with no RTX or DLSS, I wonder if they are doing a dedicated chip for it.

Like Mr. Bauman would say when arms were getting strong… “Can I quote you on that?”

I’m sitting tight until AMD brings the fight. The price/performance of this generation is abysmal and there won’t be enough games to take advantage of ray tracing for me to give a shit before the 3000-series is out.

They’re likely to be binned versions of the 2070 chips.

Nvidia really needs to have the RTX features in a sub-$500 card in order to gain anything resembling widespread adoption.

Even the 2080 or the 2080ti (they didn’t specify which it was) can barely handle 1080p gaming at 60fps with ray-tracing on. The odds of the 2070 and below doing it seem slim. DLSS sure, raytracing no.

That’s based on early demos though. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that we won’t know for a while yet if those demos were indicative of what to expect performance-wise.

I guess there’s a bunch of stuff you could do to limit the number of rays you need to calculate. Decrease the raytracing resolution, to use what’s probably the wrong terminology. Like you said, we just don’t know yet. That encapsulates a lot of why the 20 series is problematic.

Probably will see very limited use in most frames this generation due to performance issues, but it’ll evangelize it to devs and each subsequent future gen will allow for greater use and better effects. Reminds me of the original GeForce and its T&L support.

Is it wrong that I want to punch this thumbnail in the throat?

He’s hiding from the Nvidia death squads.