When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Spy photo from inside the AMD Vega labs:

fire

So, amidst all of this confusion, what would be the “smart” upgrade from a GTX 970 at this point? That would be for 1080p. If I wanted to also get a 1440 monitor, what would be cost-effective option for a GPU to pair with it?

For 1080p? Don’t upgrade. Or if you must, get a 1080/1080ti if you see a good price.

Yeah, no particular reason to upgrade from a 970 for 1080p.

Well, Battlefield V is bringing my rig to its knees in anything where you have more than a few people fighting in a more or less complex environment. I get the framerate problem indicator all the time. Now, I have no idea if it’s my aging i5 or the GPU, but it’s annoying.

Now, ideally, I’d want to upgrade both the GPU and the monitor to 1440. I’m guessing, though that means a 2070 these days?

Better, I think, the 580 is at the same level as the 1060, and I think the 590 is a small jump, but not enough to get to the 1070 tier I think.

Don’t know what the “framerate indicator” indicates, exactly. Probably drop your shadows a bit so it stays over 60fps.

970 is capable of 1440p gaming too, but not at high quality and 60fps. If you want to go to 1440p I would try to get a 1070ti, but if not available then yeah, a 2070.

Love my 1070 at 1440.

Is there any youtube video with side-by-side comparsion of the image quality with and without ray tracing? There is no proper way to judge whether ray tracing improvement in image quality is worth the sacrifice in framerate until then.

Don’t know about video, but there are some screenshots here.

Oh hang on - there’s this. Haven’t watched it yet.

It is as expected. In Battlefield 5 where you are hurrying around every time every where, increase in image quality at the cost of framerate is unacceptable. Shadow of the Tomb Raider may be (a big MAY BE) more justifiable because looking pretty does matter when you are tomb raiding.

Another interesting point is that the power draw with ray tracing on is relatively low. Which means that the hardware doing ray tracing is strained but the rest of the card isn’t.

I found some software that is doing raytracing! So the latest Chessbase that just released a week ago, and has some raytraced boards. They are doiing it all in software though :/. Kind of interesting to watch it do its thing, but odd they would go to that effort and make it software based and not utilizing a gpu. Gets some strange artifacts too, so not sure if it continually works, improving the quality over time or if it is done after a minute or so.

Sounds like if you wanted to play BF5 with ray tracing on, you need a 2080 Ti, raytracing to low, and run at 1080p, and you get an acceptable 60 fps average, with dips down into 40 fps, which is not great, but live-able.

With a gsync monitor 40fps dips are OK, yes. 40fps average probably isn’t.

Was there a process change with this generation? Raytracing feels like it needs another shrink before it’ll be commonly useful.

No, that’ll be next.

Digital Foundry has a pretty good detailed writeup:

Apparently some of the low FPS is due to bugs on their end.

In another note, Newegg has Vega 64 new on their Ebay store for $360 (after today’s 15% ebay coupon). I’m tempted to buy that and resell my EVGA 1080 OC just because I have 2 freesync monitors. decisions decisions.

I dunno how much you’ll get for a used 1080, but if it comes out anywhere near equal and you have the PSU to handle the Vega64, that would be a decent trade for freesync support. Then again, unless your monitors are 4k the 1080 can run everything at >60fps anyway, so not sure it matters all that much.

My monitors are 2 4k Freesync monitors (though I usually game at 1440p). Also ebay seems to have 1080s at $380+ used so it might just work out.