When do the next generation GPUs drop?

That makes sense. Really love this thing as a work monitor. I can tile four VMs with adequate space for each. Almost like having four 24" 1080p monitors, but in one package.

Edit: now that I think of it, when I work, I’m about 1 foot away, but that’s at 4k. When I game, I lean back, so that’s more like four or five feet.

And MMOs. Text looks great at 4k. I could never go back.

Yep, that’s the boat I’m in. I bought a 1080 and while it’s been a fantastic card, I wanted something that could handle 4K without quality sacrifices. That’s why this generation is such a flop for me, the only noticeable upgrade path is the 2080ti and there’s no way in hell I’m paying that kind of premium. There’s the 2080, but the performance increase over the 1080 just isn’t there for what… $900 or whatever they’re selling for?

Fuck you, Nvidia.

I bought a 1440p ultra wide which is a great compromise with 4k. It’s less resolution so my 2080 has an easier time but the DPI is just barely high enough I don’t miss 4k too much. Certainly not while actively gaming.

Really didn’t want to buy one of the new nvidia cards because RTX will be a total bust for years to come at best but I was tired of waiting.

However I didn’t realize DLSS is completely reliant on resolution so it won’t work on anything other than 4k except in special circumstances (none of them good)

Yeah but I mostly play Civ, stellaris, sims. I’m not playing Mordor or Asscreed. So 4k is fine and I don’t need framerates with my 1070.

Playing 1440p on a 4k monitor does have a downside though. No more borderless windowed mode and/or slow alt-tabbing. That’s been my annoyance with it. Otherwise it’s fine.

I’ve also been fine though playing games at 4k with medium settings on my 1080. My poor eyes haven’t really seen much of a difference.

Well you do need framerates for a pleasant experience, it’s just that those sorts of games don’t need a lot of hardware to get there.

You can get lower effective resolutions on a 4k monitor even in borderless window mode on games that support resolution scaling, but most don’t.

Starting Jan. 15, Nvidia drivers will enable G-sync on (some) Freesync monitors:

Found this in another article:

Those who have a GSync Compatible monitor will find GSync enabled by default with an upcoming driver update next week; those who don’t have a GSync Compatible monitor can, still, enable GSync if they so desire. Though, the company notes that it may not work – or have issues – with some monitors. Huang added that the company will continue to test several other monitors.

Apparently passing their standards for automatic G-Sync enabling are:

G-SYNC Compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz)

Also man. AMD is really going to have to hit hard with Navi now, as you can’t use Freesync being cheaper as an excuse.

Very cool, can’t wait to try with my LG ultra wide Free sync monitor.

This is smart by Nvidia, it is probably something they could have enabled a while ago. I am guessing that AMD must be close to releasing some real competition which is why they are doing this so they can still justify their pricing.

Freesync support was a competitive advantage for AMD, straight-up.

G-sync was a revenue generator for Nvidia-- but, one would assume, a rapidly diminishing one.

It was clear manufacturers that got in bed with G-Sync have all discontinued them in the past year for FreeSync models.

To the contrary, plenty of new g-sync monitors were announced at CES, which indicates that Nvidia didn’t coordinate with their partners on this, that it was likely a sudden decision.

That’s… not really true, from what I saw with my recent monitor shopping? Plenty of Gsync monitors, and some that offered Gysnc and Freesync models.

Yeah, typically you’ll have the F model and the G model, and the G model will cost two hundred dollars more.

Must just be skewed perspective of the brands available here in the Canadian hinterland.

Benq and AOC both have dropped G-Sync completely for FreeSync.

I don’t think G-Sync is going anywhere as there are real technical benefits to it over Freesync. However for most people it’s not worth the extra money.

The problem is that Nvidia is heavily pushing 4k with their 20xx cards (especially with DLSS) but the G-Sync module for 4k is crazy expensive (I’ve heard $500), so I suspect this move is to help prevent AMD from trying to capitalize on that with Navi.

Like what? My understanding is they’re the same thing, except G-sync has a separate hardware module and much tighter standard on supported variable refresh rates and such. That’s what Nvidia is extending to VESA VRR with the new g-sync certified program.

I’d have to dig into the research I did ~6 months ago but from what I remember the G-Sync hardware has better support for overdriving pixels, better (and standardized) LFC implementation, and G-Sync can run at or below 30Hz where as only a few Freesync monitors support freesync at lower than 48Hz.

It’s really that the hardware guarantees a certain standard and makes it easier for monitor implementors to match that standard without tweaking their Freesync implementation manually (if possible).

Wheither that matters to you and is wroth the price is another question.