When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I dread to imagine what the performance would be like on GTX cards, given the hit even RTX cards take.

Games with Ray Tracing are perfectly playable on older GTX hardware at 480p.

:)

It just depends on how realistic Crytekā€™s demo was. IF that legitimately ran that well on a Vega 56 at 1080p (what the video resolution isat) then a GTX 1080 should be able to do similar.

Vega56 is close to a 1070 than a 1080. But yeah.

My first thought when seeing the CryTek demo was ā€œThereā€™s no way thatā€™s real time!ā€

But they say it was 30 fps at 1080p. The Beyond3d people have examined the video and noticed a bit of latency when reflections update and also some reflections use fewer polygons (RTX real time demos have used similar tricks such as making shadows more blurry than they should be). Thatā€™s not something youā€™d expect to be left in if theyā€™re faking a real time claim.

Even so weā€™re probably another hardware generation away from getting such visuals in real games rather than just tech demos.

So Shadow Of the Tomb Raider came out with their RTX patch. DLSS actually seems to work really well and offsets a lot of the performance loss by having ray tracing features on, but the ray tracing features are just better shadows which while look better, the game already had decent faked shadows before.

Also I guess Nvidia has been working on their own version of Quake 2ā€™s renderer that uses RTX that goes beyond what that researcher did previously.

They appear to be comparing the CPU rasterizer (ie, not 3D accelerated) with their version, which isnā€™t exactly fair.

Yeah I donā€™t know why they did that but you can still see the reflection and lighting differences that arenā€™t trivial even with OpenGL.

Especially later when they just refer to it as ā€œbeforeā€ and ā€œafterā€. Unnecessarily disingenuous.

Especially when it makes your game run like shit.

ā€œYou can turn on this thing that you probably wont notice at the low, low cost of 25% of your frames.ā€

So I tried the new Tomb Raider patch on my 2080 Ti. Running at 3440x1440 in ā€œhighā€ settings on my machine plus ultra RTX Shadows got me an average frame rate of 55 on my machine in the benchmark. Turning on DLSS pushed it up to 67. The DLSS was impressive in that I could barely notice it. Nice trade off to have that option with FPS eating RTX.

I think I could live just fine with 55fps in a single player game like TR.

You could turn DLSS on with ultrawide 1440p? Wonder how they accomplished that, there are several methods but all with trade offs unless they just provided a full DLSS profile for that aspect and resolution. Will have to give a whirl, thatā€™s good news for my 2080.

With adaptive sync, sure. Otherwise no.

Iā€™ve never understood this - Iā€™ve been playing PC games for over 20 years and FPS dips and changes and the like have never been that big of a deal for me, except the screen tearing. Especially once I started turning on vsync when that became a thing. I even bought a GSYNC display a few years back that does 144fps and I honest to god canā€™t really (at all?) tell when Iā€™m in the 90ā€™s or the low 100ā€™s vs being at like 60 or even 40. I mean, Iā€™m sure there must be a difference but without seeing it side by side Iā€™m not noticing it - which to me, means itā€™s not very useful (since I rarely play games side by side).

It used to be anything over 30 was amazing, and I still donā€™t have a problem with 30 (not less than 30 though, yikes). If you are one that is extra sensitive about that though, thatā€™s a bummer and I empathize.

Locked 30 actually isnā€™t bad, many console games run like that due to their slow GPUs. When the framerate isnā€™t locked and the monitor refresh is, movement doesnā€™t feel smooth, it feels stuttery.

Vsync is perfectly smooth if your GPU is fast enough, thatā€™s why you liked it.

Locked 30 is an abomination! What is wrong with you people! :)

Yeah. Iā€™ve been leaving fraps open as I play Anthem and Iā€™ve learnedā€¦ I donā€™t really care abut framerates. Upgrade averted :)

Locked 30 isnā€™t that bad? wth is this blasphemy?