When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I am curious about that too. I remember around 5 years ago when looking at mobos I avoided them due to the horrible support remarks I found.

What in the world does going 64 bit have to do with parallel programming? Which, btw, is a difficult thing to just bolt on such an ancient gaming engine. Even if they made an effort I suspect it wouldnā€™t pay much in the way of dividends.

Also, for various reasons, using a simple taskmgr/perfmon counter to try and measure something like this, especially in something with a game loop is uhā€¦ wellā€¦ good luck!

It has to do with Blizzard (being MADE OF MONEY) being on the leading of game develpment and since they took advantage of 64-bit computing well before most other game developers, they quite obviously took advantage of multi-core CPUs.

I helped test the WoW Intel Mac client way back in the day before it launched publicly; that client was definitely multi-core optimized (in fact for awhile there it outperformed the PC version, presumably as a result of that).

Anecdotally, they are a good brand in my experience. Their customer service is supposedly pretty good, and they build some really solid cards. I think they are in the upper tier of manufacturers. They do make quite gaudy cards though.

Obviously! Again, itā€™s not impossible that wow is nicely optimized for multicore but reading reports around the web seems to indicate the frame rate is still locked to single core performance. This is the case for the vast majority of games out now. More cores can even out the framerate but your max will still be limited by the speed of a single core.

You post a screenshot of the taskmgr as if itā€™s proof, when again, itā€™s anything of the sort. For one - do you have vsync off and are reliably hitting fps above your monitorā€™s refresh rate? Some games wonā€™t even let you do that for various reasons relating to overheating and/or game loop implementation.

Yes I have vsync off. WoW lets you go to 200 fps with 120 fps being the default max.

Thanks Jon.

My computer has started powering down when entering WoW. First it was rare and random, having done it twice in the week since I bought the 1080, then tonight it did it three times in a row.

Iā€™m going to buy a new power supply tomorrow.

Yeah, that sounds an awful lot like an unhappy PSU. Good luck!

I wouldnā€™t expect it, but Iā€™m curious if your see any performance difference at all with the new PSU. Iā€™m not a hardware guy, but I wonder if it was struggling to supply enough power to the GPU if it would have any impact on performance at all, or if itā€™s just binary thing (you have enough and it works as expected or you donā€™t and it doesnā€™t work at all).

They do this all the time with heat generation but I donā€™t think the same works for power fluctuations. A CPU/GPU can proactively reduce their energy usage in order to conserve power for less speed but a sudden lower power level is not something they take into account and will have bad results.

I remembered last night that while arguing with Gendal I had increased WoWā€™s FPS limiter to 200. And the character I was logging in that was causing the power down was looking at a fairly empty area, and another character I could log in was in the much busier Dalaran. WoW actually powered down my comp when switching between these two characters, from the Dalaran char to the empty area char. So I got the idea that maybe the FPS was too high. So I set the FPS limiter down to 60 and ā€¦ it worked! FPS too high or pure luck? Arenā€™t intermittent problems fun?

Anyway, I bought a new PS, Corsair CX750M to replace my generic-ish 700W. Set WoW back to 200 FPS and Iā€™m unable to re-produce the problem. Guess Iā€™ll have to watch it for a few weeks before I can decide if itā€™s truly fixed.

Yes, fully utilizing your GPU consumes more power. Donā€™t confuse correlation with causation, but it does seem possible.

Tee-hee

Definitely sounds like a foundering PSU it could also be a host of other things.

Itā€™s a terrible thing to not trust your PSU though, because it can literally be responsible for just about anything bad that can happen.

I finally decided the 1060 is going to be as good as it gets in the near term for my HTPC given the space and power constraints, and got one. Even that one was a real struggle to cram in the case (itā€™s millimeters of clearance in every dimension, and the extra cabling doesnā€™t help. Itā€™s also noisier than Iā€™d prefer.

So of course right away thereā€™s a torrent of 1050Ti leaks, suggesting a much better fit for my needs and a release in just a couple of weeks. Bah.

Rather than starting a new thread I thought this could go here. Any thoughts on this laptop?

https://www.amazon.com/G752VS-G-SYNC-Gaming-Laptop-i7-6820HK/dp/B01K1JW5DY?SubscriptionId=AKIAICE7LOAJMK3SSLPA&tag=pcm_buyitnow-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01K1JW3PO&th=1

I bought it. The software load out was awful. Their enabled-by-default overclocking utility turned out to be unstable enough that I was worried the laptop was a lemon. Terrible UI and totally unpredictable behavior.

After a lot of auto-reboots when things would crash while gaming, I ended up reinstalling Windows (using built-in restore option) and then uninstalling all of the crapware along with their crappy OC utility. Once I did that and verified it was stable, I installed a simple GPU utility and found it had between 100-150 Mhz of stable GPU headroom.

The bezelicious, matte 1080P display is nothing to write home about, but the built-in G-sync is nice. Itā€™s only a 75Hz panel, so you arenā€™t getting a huge benefit from that, but itā€™s there and itā€™s smooth.

Itā€™s a crudely engineered but reasonably powerful laptop, with a GREAT cooling system. Very quiet operation.

Thanks Michael, thatā€™s the kind of info I was looking for. Do you have any recommendations for a replacement with essentially the same specs?

I think itā€™s the best of the currently-available 1070 laptops in this price range, just because of the cooling (you donā€™t want a jet engine on your desk). Iā€™m considering swapping for one of their $1599 mini desktop systems instead, and spending the savings on a really nice monitor and a 1080.

Iā€™m a fit & finish snob, though, so take my critique of the build quality with a grain of salt. Itā€™s fine for a brutish gaming PC, but it is a far cry from a high-end laptop like a MacBook Pro or one of the newer generation of competitive, slim PC laptops.

Asus also does this weird thing with their function keys, such that if you want to change the volume or brightness, switch music tracks, etc., you have to hold the ā€œfuncā€ key down before tapping the control. Thereā€™s absolutely no lock for that feature, which is really annoying, and there is no remotely simple workaround.