When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I’ve had a CPU that reliably died in the low 70s ©. So it’s not a sure thing that 87 can’t cause a shutdown. I know for a fact that it can. Just an FYI, not all hardware is created equal.

Oh yeah, but GPUs are meant to rock well into the 80C range, CPUs are not quite as tough.

But depending on your case ventilation, your CPU temp can be closely tied to your GPU temp. And judging by what he was saying about his case fans, I’m guessing it was a hot box kind of thing.

Capacitors may catastrophically fail when subjected to voltages or currents beyond their rating, or as they reach their normal end of life. Dielectric or metal interconnection failures may create arcing that vaporizes the dielectric fluid, resulting in case bulging, rupture, or even an explosion. Capacitors used in RF or sustained high-current applications can overheat, especially in the center of the capacitor rolls. Capacitors used within high-energy capacitor banks can violently explode when a short in one capacitor causes sudden dumping of energy stored in the rest of the bank into the failing unit. High voltage vacuum capacitors can generate soft X-rays even during normal operation. Proper containment, fusing, and preventive maintenance can help to minimize these hazards.

From Wikipedia.

I must have pissed someone off, or, I was just exceptionally lucky. After struggling with half a dozen weird Windows issues, trying to roll back with system restore, failing, trying to upgrade to Windows 10 AU, failing, then succeeding, then having more issues, then scanning for viruses…

It turned out to be bad DIMM. Seems unplugging all the RAM (twice) to move everything around in the case to first make room for the 1080, then to give it more breathing room and try to cool case better, plus the exploding PSU… fried one of the DIMMs. Of course, this was determined after countless hours of troubleshooting and frustration. I knew going to 4K was going to be disruptive, but HOLEEE SHEEET.

Also, just for fun, Memtest86+ 5.01 will hang your computer on test 7. Bad CPU? Bad MB? Nope, fear not, turns out SMP memory testing is in beta (has been for years, I guess, as memtest86+ hasn’t been updated in years), and on some CPUs and configurations when using SMP testing it will hang your computer. You know, just give that nice, extra layer of JFC WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG?!

System seems stable on 12GB and I got another stick on order.

I’ve got that MSI ugly ass system incoming finally. Will post pics :)

Finally ordered the new laptop. One of the shipping options was Friday. Since I doubt UPS has delivery boats I opted to wait until Monday.

Jealous! I’m so ready for an upgrade, but installing a new baby into my family has to take priority for now ;)

Multitask!

She may not look like much, boy, but she’s got it where it counts!

Aegis x 1080 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

I know that from somewhere…

lmao
nice

No fair making a Star Wars reference when I already did.

I hope she works well for you Kadath!

I think it’s cute. Good gaming, my friend!

So far so good. No crapware, but there’s a lot of patching and installing, even for a machine that’s merely life support for Steam, Everquest 1 and other digital game installers.

The video card in my son’s machine has died. I would like to get him something that would let him do 1080P for the next several years, but not pay for the ability to do more than that. He’s been playing Wow and Overwatch lately, though I did get him to try the bioshock remastered. From reading the thread it seems like a 480 or 1060 would work. Is that the current consensus? I can wait awhile if there is something else coming that would be cheaper, it just means he uses my computer. At the same time, I am willing to pay more now if it will go longer.

I’d say the 1060 would be perfectly fine for those three games listed and for games that take quite a bit of additional power. It’s basically the card the 970 was meant to be all along, and that card was fine at 1080p in any game where the memory didn’t hold it back. The 1060 gets 50% more memory (on paper) so that’s no longer an issue.

Totally forgot there’s a 3GB version of the 1060. As stusser says, don’t buy that one.

1060 or 480 are both going to work for that.

I would get whichever you are comfortable with the price with most.

Don’t buy a 3gb 1060. Either get a 480 or a 6gb 1060.

Yes! Good point, no reason to buy the cheaper 1060. Half the ram for a negligible amount of money.