When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Won’t that also make them noisier?

Looking at 1080s, I did find one card using this breakdown from Tom’s: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-graphics-cards,4725.html

The MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G. All of the other 3rd party cards had either noise or cooling in the CONS side.

From guru3d: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_8g_review,11.html

The card is 12C cooler at load (impressive! it is warmer at idle, but meh to that), and 1db quieter at load and idle.

I would grab that card if I were buying a 1080. I’m not finding others with similar improvements, which ones did you find?

I’m seeing something similar with 480s. It looks like it pays off to be careful with manufacturer. MSI put out a couple kickass cards according to reviewers.

I’ll take it back then. Many of the cards are crap, but some are clearly better in cooling and noise. 12C is nothing to ignore, that’s significant. A couple dB is pretty negligible, but in combination with a drop in temp that’s great.

No, they’re simply much more efficient coolers. Blowers are relatively ineffective.

I am still thirteen years old inside.

Man, you put a rough 13 years on your organs, mate.

It’s not the years, it’s the mileage.

So I recently plopped a pair of XFX 480s in my box, and I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised (outside of my boot SSD completely imploding shortly after I did so, which I have no idea how that could be related but who knows…). For all the sturm und drang of how hot and loud the 480 is, they’re neither. Though tbf I’m mostly playing (heavily modded) Skyrim SE at the moment…but they’re performing (unsurprisingly) much better than the old 780 I had in the machine.

e: lol, didn’t even have Crossfire on. Hah!

Just posting this here because…

$580 seems like a good price on a GTX 1080, and

I want to click through the link on the off chance of…good things here.

I thought you were posting it as a strong entry in the “stupidest Amazon item title” contest. It’s beautiful nonsense from start to end, but my favorite part is probably the “Metal Wraparound Carbon ExoArmor”.

I for one am glad that I have another reason to share my opinion of ZOTAC ;)

Snap

699$ for a card 35% faster than the 1080. There is the value/money.

This is the one I’ve been waiting for! :)

They’re also dropping the price of the original 1080 to $499.

So hopefully that will drop prices on 1070’s and 1060’s as well for those of us on a strict budget.

Though Nvidia seems to have painted themselves into a corner with so many low-mid market cards that there may not be room to adjust pricing on anything below the original 1080…

11GB of GDDR5? Wow.

Wonder if there’s any game that even comes close to using that much memory even at max settings and 4K. Then again your pretty much future proofed for awhile.

No expert, but wouldn’t the main benefit be having to load new textures less often?

And bigger (higher-res) textures, and more antialiasing/anisotropic filtering, and higher res shadows, and and and… ;)

Yep. Realistically, most games are console ports and consoles have 8GB of VRAM, where usually some of it needs to be used for system stuff. So I wouldn’t expect anything benefiting from >8GB unless you start loading tons of very high resolution mods into Skyrim or something.

The recent Fallout 4 high-res texture addon requires 8GB of VRAM, and that’s the first time I’ve ever seen requirements so high.

Yeah, requirements won’t pass 8 for an awfully long time, but depending on the game it might get some useful graphical upgrades out of more VRAM – most modern AAA games/engines will probably have some headroom over current console hardware, but you’re pretty much hitting diminishing returns by definition.

Would still wait for the HBM2 cards.

How long is the wait for a 1080ti equivalent with HBM2?