When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Ugh. Hate that.

I don’t spend $500 for current generation games. 8k displays are already on the way, plus VR/AR will be making huge strides. Also HDMI 2.2 specs.

This is mostly true, a lot of the “Ultra” settings are wankery, I wish they would test with “High” settings.

But for the record, I got my 1080 Ti today, and indeed even with a reasonable custom mix of ultra and high settings (I turned down some stuff to attempt to get closer to 60fps at 4k) I wasn’t able to consistently hit 60fps in Battlefield 1, I would see this:

In the warning yellow style, not all the time but with some regularity in multiplayer at certain places in the maps, etc.

But now that I installed the 1080 Ti I don’t see a FPS warning at all. And I am not an “Ultra all the things” whore, I agree with what you’re saying.

More exhaust hacking this time on the 1080 ti

Removing the stupid old dvi-d connector definitely helps a lot here. I would not be surprised if it had 50% more airflow, unmodified out of the box.

I feel like I could do a bit better with the dremel here but tin snips were faster and did not require removing the bracket. Also I am lazy.

Lots of benefits though.

sorry, can you explain why you do this?

Literally click the bottom most link, directly above what you wrote

Can’t you get that bottom left part? It’s making my OCD twitch :-)

Interesting. Sorry for being a dullard and missing that earlier. Is the airflow that improved by default, or because you have additional fans in your rig. That seems drastic. I don’t notice a lot of noise in this gen of Nvidia cards.

It’s a tweak, for sure, but the data shows 20% improvement in airflow and thus reduction in noise.

@MichaelD stop being an enabler!!

Is that consistent with your real world experience? Just wondering if I should do something similar, but I generally don’t tinker too much, or even overclock components.

Well yes part of the data I cited was my own in the linked post… it is a reduction in fan speed necessary to achieve a given level of cooling and thus, a noise reducton.

I do remember your reasons for doing this, wumpus, but damn, I wince every time you post another of your video card cooling projects.

It’s akin to buying a brand new muscle car, and then chopping the grille off with an ax to get a few more horsepower.
Have you no sense of aesthetics, man?! Would you do that to a new car, for instance, if you were into horsepower that is?

Next thing you know he’ll want to drill holes in his monitor.

Is it though? How often do you see your video card? I certainly hear it more often than I see it, which is the point of the mod…

You could also just wait to a buy a quiet non-blower quite model, if you have a regular case. There’s usually a few manufacturers that put some extremely quiet ones with supersized fans/heatpipes.

Not that also exhaust the heat directly from the case.

The only noise I hear from my computer 2 feet away from me and under my desk is the case fans, and if I turn those down I definitely don’t hear my R9 Fury.

Is your gaming PC on your desk and right near you?

You can always hear when your GPU fan(s) kick in. I’ve always noticed it across years of different gen cards, and my systems are always on the floor under my desk and at 52 my hearing isn’t the sharpest (my last military physical at age 29 required a second take on the hearing test since I failed it the first time).

I can tell when some kind of fan kicks in, but I wouldn’t swear it was my GPU. I rather think it’s my PSU.
Whatever it is, it’s still pretty damn quiet. Every time I buy a new rig, everything about it is quieter that the rig that preceded it. I just bought this rig a few months ago, and even when intense graphics are on 1440p and a 1070, I can barely hear any fans at all.

Every time I get a new GPU shipped to me, I eagerly open it up and proudly display it to my girlfriend (who is promptly disinterested) because it is so beautiful. A high-end graphics card is generally a minor work of art. Granted I don’t see it often, but I do see it several times a year.

Unless I have the TV going or something, I can always hear something spin up in my case, especially now that no one actually keeps a disc in the optical drive (assuming they even have an optical drive). My case isn’t especially cheap or anything. It’s not loud but just something I notice.