When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I notice it too, but my whole point is that the noise is so small that I’m not about to butcher my video card over it. Or any other component. Or run it with the side panel off. Or whatever else people do.

But there’s nothing wrong with any of that. I suppose I’d do it myself if it meant making an unplayable framerate playable. Fortunately, I don’t need to. I’m generally pretty happy with my stock speeds on everything, which is part of the reason I spend money on a good rig; so I don’t have to mess with anything.

If I came home from work and pulled in my driveway, and saw wumpus just leaving my house and giving me a jaunty wave before jumping in his taxi and heading for the airport, my first worry wouldn’t be whether my girlfriend was in the house. No, I’d go straight in, flip my computer around, and yell, “wumpuuus! You bastaaard!” The extra quietness of my video card is just not worth putting a gaping hole into it.

This is the greatest paragraph ever written on Quarter To Three.

edit: no offense to Tom.

Haha.

If I need to put a hole on video card, I feel like maybe I might have bought the wrong one… and this is coming from a lady who took a hacksaw to her Solo case to fit a ATI card because at the time I really thought i was going to go nVidia.

So how long until nvidia cave and support freesync? The current Gsync electronics allegedly won’t do 4k @ >60Hz - are they going to invest in more R+D to fix that as demand for 4k @ 100Hz or higher gets rolling towards the end of 2017? Heck, is it moot for the time being as higher refresh will be niche for a couple of more years?

Weren’t a bunch of 144hz 4K Gsync monitors introduced at CES?

Ok, Wumpus, it is time to get an air conditioner set up just for your PC. Think of it, set up the unit to intake air from a cooled space (a minifridge) and exhaust the warm air out the back.

Continue hacking!

Actually, yeah, looks like two 27" models, so seems the gsync modules will handle it (or they developed ones that did).

Paging @wumpus, time to upgrade again:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-titan-xp-graphics-card-3840-cores-1200-usd/

Yep, this one was unexpected.

So this is the Titan Xp rather than the Titan XP? That’s not going to be confusing at all.

Radeon 500 series info leaked

I love that the comparison barcharts are comparing it to Intel IGP.

WTF AMD? Where is Vega and HBM2???

I thought that was May not April.

Yeah, but why would you announce a new line of cards just before Vega’s release? Seems a bit shortsighted, unless they’ve exhausted their older polaris inventory, or are overloaded on DDR5 or something.

I could be mistaken but these look like 1080p cards, or at least focused on them. I thought these others are geared toward 4k. Is that not so?

I would guess that these are mostly just model refreshes to go into pre-built machines and the like. That’s also why the slides are comparing them to IGP and stuff too. This is pretty standard operating procedure stuff.

Oh dear, they’re comparing it against the 380X. Not the 390X (which is the same speed as GTX970 and RX-480), the 380X. The 380X is ~60% as fast as a 390X.

So if it’s 1.6x a R9-380X, that positions AMD’s flagship highest-end GPU… ~20% slower than a GTX1070. And ~20% faster than a GTX1060. Right in the middle.

Basically this is a perfectly positioned $300 card. And that’s a nice enough pricepoint, although it is one that Nvidia could easily match with a 1060ti.

The problem is that their highest-end flagship is slower than Nvidia’s 4th fastest GPU. AMD needed to release Vega-- a new halo product. Instead they rebadged Polaris and were only able to get an additional 6% clockspeed out of it!

But we knew a month ago that RX 500 was a rebadge, and that Vega would come later in Q2. Makes sense to get these cards out of the way, rather than do them at the same time and risk messing up the messaging.