When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Ok, AMD probably lost my money with this. I was willing to delay a new machine for a couple of months, and see whether Vega would be competitive. But if they’re releasing some $1k machine learning workstation card now, and gaming cards at some time so far in the future that they can’t even hint at the release date… Not interested. (And either their yields are shit, or they were fucked by the HBM2 gamble).

Does everything have to be shit and fucked? It’s just a video card.

Spoken like a real shitfucker!

LOL like, ygg

Better a shitfucker than a fuckshitter!

edit: remind me to tell you guys the story of the Bag-Shitter (or possibly Shit-Bagger) sometime.

I’m imagining shit-baggers were Yankees who moved down to North Carolina in order to shit on the lawn of slave owners.

God damn, more gold. YGG!

From the latest Vega releases, it looks like it will probably outperform the 1080ti, but it won’t be priced for consumers. My guess is $1499.

First ryzen and now this. Why doesn’t amd care about gamers?

Calm down dudes, this is not the consumer card, they will be announced on May 31st and hopefully try and spank Nvidia’s butt.

Does NDA expire on May 31st? I didn’t know that. Cool beans.

I’m totally rooting for AMD, both on CPU and GPU sides. Hopefully they can find some serious refinements in Ryzen to get that IPC up.

Ryzen+Vega APUs should be killer late this year for laptops, especially if they include HBM2 high bandwidth cache.

Which turned out to be basically “we’re proud to announce that we’ll actually announce these cards in two months” :)

Well they did reveal a $400 card with 1070 performance, a $500 card with 1080 performance and a $600 card with 1080ti performance.

Link?

Sorry it is just speculation still, I misread an article earlier.

At their Computex press conference AMD:

1. Announced that Epyc, their server CPU, would launch on June 20.

2. Announced that Vega Frontier Edition, which is definitely not a gaming card, would launch on June 27.

3. Gave some info on their upcoming Threadripper chips, mainly that they’ll all have 64 PCIe lanes, not inculding pricing or launch date.

4. That they would launch Rx Vega gaming cards at SIGGRAPH July 30.

The End.

Here’s some possible info:

As well as outlining the different levels of AMD RX Vega GPU the recent leaks have defined pricing for them too. The top-end RX Vega Nova is rumoured to be released at $599, around $100 less than the competing Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti. Whether that means it’s $100 slower we don’t yet know…

The rumours also put a $499 price tag on the middle-order RX Vega Eclipse and the RX Vega Core at $399. That will leave the RX 500-series cards looking after the mainstream, sub-$250 level with Vega shoring up the high-end for the first time since the Fury X in 2015.

Quite how they’re going to price the inaugural Radeon Vega Frontier Edition though is not known. Given that it looks like it’s specced to directly compete against Nvidia’s Titan cards I would expect it to arrive costing anything upwards of $999…

…In order to show what HBCC can offer games AMD showed a version of Vega limited to just 2GB of video memory where one card had HBCC enabled and one with the memory caching tech turned off. This was to simulate where the new technology can help out when the frame buffer is being maxed out.

The Rise of the Tomb Raider demo showed a massive difference in both the average and minimum frame rates outputted by the same spec of GPU. It’s the minimums that are the most interesting part of this though, with the 2GB card without HBCC bottoming out at 13.7fps while the equivalent GPU running the new HBCC tech scores 46.5fps. That’s between 2x and 3x the minimum frame rate which will have a huge impact on just how smooth a game feels to play.

So when did GPU prices go through the roof? Was it Bitcoin-mining related?

I don’t have hard numbers to back this up, but yesterday I started looking into upgrading my ~ 2 year old R9 290 (paid $275 on sale) and now even the lower-end products on Newegg and Amazon are either out of stock or priced WAY high. I’m way shocked at how few product I can locate.