When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Yeah with all the same companies making memory for smartphones and ssds regular old ram has become ridiculous.

The video card market has officially gone insane. Just checked Amazon and newegg, 1070 and 1080 cards are out of stock and whatā€™s left is going for a price-gouging $1000+. I feel bad for anyone upgrading their PC right now.

I can say heartily and without any qualifications, fuck crypto miners.

I guess some sort of thanks to Meltdown/Spectre for making me push off any major hardware upgrades, then.

Yep. I had planned to replace my laptop this winter, and I was considering the desktop as well. Between the CPU problems and GPU scarcity, Iā€™ve put those thoughts to bed forā€¦ I dunno, a year?

I wonder how long it will take for these things to sort out?

If this is bothering you, best avoid looking at RAM too, although prices are up there for different reasons Iā€™m told.

Hear hear. This whole cryptocurrency BS might cause a serious hiatus in the development of big budget AAA games, or at least of Windows ports of them. If no one can buy a decent mid-range card for less than 350 bucks, whereā€™s the demand for the games?

Oh the games will still get made, it will just be to more modest graphical targets. Anyone sitting on a launch 1070 will probably be able to play everything at highest settings for years to come!

God damn this is no exaggeration. Literally can not find a 1070 or 1080 in stock anywhere close to retail prices. Might as well get a 1080 ti for 700 since itā€™s only a tiny bit more but even those are gone everywhere. This is the worst possible time to try and replace my video card.

Yeah I just checked Amazon, and zero GTX1080 cards in stock. Crazy!

Itā€™s especially crazy because these Nvidia cards are what 18 months old? Theyā€™ve had plenty of time production.

Aww crap, looks like I am stuck with 1080p gaming with this 1060 card for the foreseeable futureā€¦

Heh, pics from Reddit:

Iā€™d be happy to find a single 1070, 1070 Ti, 1080, 1080 Ti, not marked up way over retail. Just anything close the prices they were selling at months ago!

I guess the used market will explode in a couple months though.

Another thing that sucks about it is you are no longer able to return a retail purchased gpu unless it is broken, at least at Fryā€™s Electronics. I imagine other outlets have similar policies now. Picked up a cheap radeon card a while back for work, and noticed the new policy.

Iā€™ve been thinking about upgrading to a 1060/1070, but good luckā€“this shortage is ridiculous. When does the nextgen Nvidia card launch? Maybe that will loosen things up.

Unfortunately, I doubt anything will change it until the bitcoin market crashes, or gpu vendors figure a way to make it not worth mining with their gpus. And I doubt they would ever do that since they probably love this.

Video card availability has been this bad in the past and then recovered ā€“ as mining difficulty catches up, there should be another wave of time where the cards are less profitable even i the market doesnā€™t crash. But it could be a rough few months.

When was it ever this bad? Iā€™ve never experienced anything like this, and I built my first PC around 2002. Perhaps my upgrade cycles have been fortuitously timed?

P.S.: For anyone who would know, my first question above was not rhetorical. Thereā€™s a thread on Reddit discussing this: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7qfe44/cryptomining_is_doing_more_harm_to_pc_gaming_than/?utm_source=reddit-android

Guess Iā€™ll just be sticking with 1080p and my venerable OCā€™d 970 for awhile still. Serves me good enough for now.