When do the next generation GPUs drop?

There’s been a “correction” in cryptocurrency prices in the last day or two–don’t know how long it will last or how far they’ll drop, and who knows whether it will soon be reflected in GPU price drops.

http://www.pcgamer.com/cryptocurrency-prices-tank-due-to-regulatory-fears/

Had a Gtx 970 just go out on me. So at this point should I just buy a new mid range rig? Do gaming computer manufacturers get a discount from the inflated prices since they buy directly from the manufacturer? I guess I could put an old Gtx 560 in that I have lying around and just wait for the tulip bulb craze to pass. What a world.

If you need it now, seems like pre-built is indeed the way to go until some sanity is reclaimed. In the meantime, 560’s aren’t awful cards unless you’re playing all the new hotness or you’re on 4k.

Looking at the Alienware site, it looks like you are paying the bitcoin ruined price if you upgrade a gpu on one of the offered systems.

This seems decent for $1750, especially when the lowest price 1080TI on the same site is $1200;

But I’d still wait, personally.

Hey, Thanks. Probably just procrastinate. It’s crazy that I can’t even find a 970 on amazon for less than the high $300’s. It came out in the fall of 2014 I think.

Man, people are trying to sell 1070s for $1000 on newegg. Glad I got mine when they came out. Wish I’d picked up a 1080 then instead.

I’m surprised someone hasn’t figured out a way to hack a PS4 Pro /Xbone and make it into a miner.

Have you tried seeing what a 970 goes for used?

I could try that. I generally have stayed away from used/refurbished for anything because I seem to always get the one that breaks right after delivery. I was tempted just a few months ago by a refurbished Keurig on amazon and it went kaput within a week. :)

Groups are definitely trying, but so far, as far as I know, both Xbone and PS4 have resisted hacking to get arbitrary code to run. I read last week that a group claims to be close on the Nintendo Switch though.

Pfft, they’d probably get more hashes/second out of a FitBit.

So what you guys are sayings is that I should sell my 1070 and go back to my 760 (not going to happen). Or start mining.

Also geez, shit’s getting stupid.

You could buy a Titan X - star wars doobry for $1,138 + taxes:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/

Please, please, please

God I hope Bitcoin and its brethren have ‘1929’ like Stock Market crash and buries all these speculators/miners.

Let’s just hope the real economy is insulated enough from this particular tulip bulb bubble.

There are no forces acting to counteract volatility. Everybody who owns cryptocurrency either a) wants to exchange it for black-tar heroin as expeditiously as possible or b) sees it as a short-term investment and wants to make “real” money fast. Nobody treats it as real currency. That’s why it’s all over the place.

Incorrect; I own 5000 dogecoin because I find it hilarious.

Would be a hilarious idea. Too bad the 1070s aren’t actually going for 1K, and I’m size limited in an ITX case. A small ITX sized 1080 would be the best I could do, and those are also part of the problem.