When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Looks like I could get 80% back from what I paid for a GTX 970 three years ago. I just have to time the market right so bitcoins crash within 24 hours of selling it!

I’ve had nowinstock setup for awhile, but I only seem to catch water cooled cards and I don’t want to mess with that.

I have no idea, $3,500-4k? I want one though.

/me watching the implosion of bitcoin gleefully, and wondering when gpu prices will get back to normal.

Yeah, when you start seeing articles about dumbasses working at Arby’s making it rich on bitcoin and advising all their dumbass friends in Kentucky to do the same, you know the end can’t be far away. Those people are going to be fucked, because those people are always fucked.

I was about to jump back into my Linux gaming (via GPU passthrough to a VM) again now that some core issues have been solved. I’ve been eyeing GT 1030 cards recently to use as my host, but held off because I’ve been knee deep in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I’ve now beat XC2 and looked up the video cards, and 1030s are all out of stock and $20-30 more since the past week ($95+). The RX 550 I bought (and returned) when I previously attempted this has gone up from $85 when I bought it to $120 now. 1050s are $150-200. 1060s are $499 at Best buy.

So aggravating.

I want a Vega 56 to go with my new 4K display. MSRP is $399. Actual price online? $999.

Those people are so F’d in the A. It’s sad. It’s like the dot-com boom all over again, but (one hopes) on a much smaller scale.

Oh, the scale doesn’t even remotely compare. But yeah they’re screwed. Anyone buying into cryptocurrency in the past couple of months, once those mainstream media stories started coming out, will likely lose their shirt. And investing in an insanely volatile currency with no inherent value as your retirement pension approaches Donald Trump Jr. levels of towering stupidity.

Rather than deal with the miner-driven nightmare of a parts market, I’m putting some of my tax return on a new laptop with a seventh-gen i5 and a 4GB 1050. It should run pretty much everything I could possibly care about for the next, oh, five years or so, and $690 for the whole machine sounds a lot better than spending that much on just a CPU and GPU!

The washington post story reminds me exactly of the lead up to the subprime bust.

The news story can almost be replaced word for word. Just change bitcoin to booming housing market.

Next you see shows on the Discovery channel about making a fortune in cryptocurrency and then you know all those people will soon be buried in cardboard boxes in unmarked mass pauper graves.

I wanted to build my son a PC but the prices were insane. I was up to $800 before video card and OS. Instead I picked up an HP Omen from BestBuy with a GTX 1060 for $820. It’s $740 on Amazon but I didn’t want to wait the extra two days.

Best Buy will price match Amazon. Might be too late now though.

Tried it. BB only matches if it says “As sold by Amazon.” Despite having Prime shipping, the HP Omen was sold by a 3rd party.

Ahh, this is true.

I just want to buy a Vega 56 for under $500. SIgh.

Checked on ebay and someone is selling a dead Vega 56 for parts. It has 38 bids so far at $300.

This madness is out of control.

If you need a whole computer, that NZXT build site will sell you a 1070ti for $570. Otherwise you should basically just wait.

This is why I’m sticking to older games. Although my PC is getting super long in the tooth!

All the GPUs were sold out at Best Buy last time I was there. Crazy.