When do the next generation GPUs drop?

People still go to Best Buy? Strange…

I go wherever the deal is so long as it is a legit seller.

Best Buy has managed to grow income the past few years. Not a huge amount, but they’re dealing with the retail apocalypse better than other companies. Price-matching has helped.

They’re doing very well. BOPUS is a good thing for them (and me) so I don’t think they’re going away anytime soon. People want to see and touch electronics before making the purchase.

Also, $30 for two years of 20% off every game I buy is a pretty damn good deal.

HRMMMM

Nice! Not the price, I wouldn’t buy a GPU that has been used to mine for more than 50% of MSRP. But that they’re giving up.

let us hope!

I wonder if EVGA would honor warranties on such cards, I mean if that card was running at 100% for 6 months, its chance of making 3 years even with normal use has to be reduced.

In the 6 months spent mining 24/7 at 100% GPU utilisation, I doubt it’s even worth that much. May be past the MTBF of the component parts on the card.

Mining shouldn’t void a warranty though. If they specify years and not years of 100% utilisation I would think that’s on them.

Quite true. Yet, we’ll be cursing and swearing if the card dies on us mid game and we have to wait days for the RMA process.

True. As Stusser says, you’d want to buy those at a nice big discount. And actually if 1080 whatevers became cheap and risky, I might roll the dice.

They’re still under warranty, but I wouldn’t want to deal with the hassle of returning it.

Most things you buy have a disclaimer that the warranty only applies to typical usage (not sure what the exact language is off the top of my head), don’t they? I have no idea if they would have any way to detect how the hardware had been used.

Nah, no way to tell. You won’t have a problem with the warranty.

If they were selling GTX1070s for $200 and I needed one, I would have no compunctions picking it up.

Just to note though, while it’s been at 100% GPU my understanding is that miners usually undervolt the card to lower power requirements and heat. So it’s not as much wear as gaming on it 100%.

Oh interesting. I had thought that the miners would be in so much competition that they would have adopted the opposite since time is the most significant factor in who gets the most coin.

Seems counter-intuitive because the power requirements would work out to be the same. Maybe they are leveraging the effencies at lower temperature?

But still interesting to know. Thanks!

I don’t remember the details but a while ago I saw some people talking that the hash rate wasn’t a linear drop off for power, so you could lower the power and still get a good hash rate.

They were probably risking fire hazards with so many cards in their basement or wherever.

Anyway, the prices of the coins seem to be climbing again. I read somewhere that due to the nature of the trades and exchanges, players are buying and selling to themselves as in I sell to myself to inflate the prices.

That’s definitely true. Depending on which currency you’re mining there are different bottle necks and the most important metric is how much you earn versus how much you spend on electricity. Undervolting is a pretty common tactic for GPU mining.