When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Given that the games I play are mostly old stuff from my Steam library, or a handful of newer releases that usually aren’t cutting edge in terms of graphics, I am pretty happy with my 1080p gaming. Our TV is 4K but we never have any programming in 4K. I guess I’m happy I haven’t gotten hooked on the fancy stuff.

4K TV is coming, OTA ATSC 3.0 starts in 2019 in some markets and will probably be widespread in 2020/2021. Once networks start broadcasting in 4K, cable companies can support it too, but they may have bandwidth constraints unless they move to H.265. Of course they won’t have any choice in the matter, because by 2020 4K TVs will be cheap as chips and of course all the OTT services like Netflix and YouTube already broadcast in 4K.

Unless bitcoin mining has gone the way of the dodo, it’s going to take that long to save up for the inflated prices on these cards, anyway ;)

Well, not all of them. Plenty of the UK specific ones don’t. Some aren’t even in 1080p yet. And even Amazon Prime’s 4K content is still very limited. Annoyingly, Netflix doesn’t seem to be getting 4K versions of non–original movies, either

I didn’t mean to imply that all their content was already in 4k.

Not interested in 4K gaming, but I am interested in VR. Hopefully GPU prices will be more reasonable by the time the next iteration of headsets come out.

I don’t particularly care about either one, but I do care about image quality and transparency. Resolution isn’t holding back non-VR games from appearing photorealistic. It’s astonishing how techniques that initially appear to be low-impact like high quality ambient shadow occlusion can make a scene look so much more real. That’s what we need to cross that boundary.

I only care about 4k bc I like to do my work on a 4k monitor, and being able to game on that system would be convenient. That and having something that is future proof for the next vr jump.

You can run games at 1080p or 1440p on a 4k monitor no problem. My point is that we focus far too much on resolution when resolutions are already high enough-- image quality is what truly matters these days.

On monitors, anyway. VR still needs higher resolution to be transparent as the screens are much closer to your eyes.

running at 1080p looks a little off to me. I tried it for a few months, and will probably try it again.

Saw a story that PSU prices are starting to rise as well. Fuck cryptominers

Thank you, Dr. Peddie. Really? We’re supposed to start mining to offset the cost?
Granted, I have no better idea, but damn, that’s brutal.
If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em?

I like your enthusiasm, but mine is dampered based on the fact that no US network even broadcasts in 1080p yet. They’re mostly 720p with some still doing 1080i. In 2018.

That’s because ATSC 1.0 only supports 1080i/720p. ATSC 2.0 was never adopted, but ATSC 3.0 is already being deployed in select markets.

In my experience (which admittedly may not be relevant to the US) broadcasters tend to prioritise number of channels (especially shitty ones that pay them fees) over image quality when it comes to bandwidth. DVB-T2 (the equivalent of ATSC) here still has less than a dozen HD (ie 1080i) channels on Freeview, out of over 100. There are still loads of timeshift channels, which are completely unnecessary these days.

Worse, when Xfinity/Comcast begins to provide widespread 4K programming, I’m betting there will be an additional upcharge like there already is for HD. Yay.

Guaranteed that happens. I’m sure we’ll get charged by the pixel.

Damn, 4k means I have to care about this release. Fuck. My advice to everyone else is to invest in lower resolution monitors.

Honestly with the GPU prices going so high, spending $3,000 on a Titan V for 4k doesn’t seem as crazy as it did…

titanv

At least they are actually in stock at the god damn suggested retail price!

I beg to differ. :)