When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Used Vega 56 is down to $650 BUY-IT-NOW on eBay! Almost there.

Used for coin mining, yeah. I wouldn’t touch that for over $200 max.

Still a sign that demand is dropping.

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/nvidia-rtx-technology-realizes-dream-of-realtime-cinematic-rendering-20180319-00901
Lot’s of mentions of Volta and gaming, announcement soon for release date?

That demo looks awesome, but this isn’t the first time real-time ray tracing has been hyped. I’ll temper my enthusiasm until I see it in an actual game.

GTC is next week. We’ll see how accurate the rumors have been.

Wonder where the sudden hype today for Ray tracing is coming from.

MS just had a raytracing announcement themselves:

Edit Oh I just noticed the Nvidia description says it’s with the DX api.

The demo is by Remedy Entertainment if the logos are to be believed so that’s a promising sign.

The DirectX Raytracing API is being supported by both Unreal Engine and Unity, so my guess is you won’t have to wait toooo long to be able to see some poorly performing noisy scenes in-game. ;)

*in fact the GDC Unity keynote is in a couple hours, would be surprised if Raytracing wasn’t featured.

Sadly, POV-Ray will never utilize your GPU.

I remember trying out Pov Ray like 20 years ago

Here’s a thread that discusses GPUs:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/<web.568aea3fed87f78dadb2e4f80%40news.povray.org>/

I guess that today it is more of an issue of rewriting the code from the ground up than any technical limitations of GPUs like it was in the past.

I am experimenting with Blender, but am facing several issues. 1) I started converting a model to Blender format at 3:45 am yesterday, and the converter is not done yet at 10:00 pm the next day. 2) I am accustomed to a text interface, not a GUI, and the Blender GUI seems much more sensitive to clicking the wrong things by mistake. If Blender had a text interface or (more importantly) a text-based scene language, it wouldn’t be so bad.

Wow that website is like going back in time. Is that just a forum representation of a news group?

Yes. I use Thunderbird normally.

So how long until today’s $150,000 GPU becomes affordable?

Somewhere out there, there’s already a dude wondering about these in an SLI configuration ;)

A fucking miner is going to buy it

Hopefully the day before the entire cryptocurrency market collapses.

Other folks with 1070 cards I’m curious what temps you’ve been seeing? Lately I’ve been getting warnings that mine is hitting 180F. At first I thought it was the crappy optimization of the Empires Apart beta, but Offworld had the fans kicking in today as well. There was a bios update evga put out a while back, but still happening. Don’t know if something in the driver changed, or if my poor 1070 is in trouble.

Check your filters/fans on your case?