When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I get bothered by anything over 70C personally. The 10xx line should be very cool. I would follow the advice above and clean out your case well.

Where are you seeing the temp?

Lets see, thatā€™s equal to 82.2 C.
Gosh, I havenā€™t checked for a while but IIRC, I think my 1070 would sometimes hit 78C when being stressed, but I wouldnā€™t swear to it. Iā€™ll try and check later.

Thing is, if youā€™ve been playing those same games and not hitting those temps before, and now you suddenly are, maybe check into cleaning things out a bit. Itā€™s not obscenely high, but higher than anything Iā€™ve seen on mine. nVidiaā€™s site says max temp is 94C, but most gaming forums seem to say that 85C is not unusual. Do you have the blower fan design? I do, and you gotta make sure and get in there and clean out that entire exit pipe every 4 to 6 months or so, because dust builds up in there. Also blow out the fins thoroughly.

Hold the fan still while cleaning the blades.

Software called CAM that I think came with the nzxt cooler for my cpu. It is noticeable because the fans kick into overdrive when it happens, and it cools right back down to 35C when idle. Took it outside and cleaned it, so weā€™ll see how it goes. The fans all seem to be functioning.

It could be that is was going on before, but I wasnā€™t running the software that complains about it.

So running the gpu benchmark in Ashes of the Singularity, I see it running between 77-84C, with it mostly in the range of 79-82C. This is reported by the evga software.

Edit: and the Empires Apart Beta still kicks it up there unless disable anti-aliasing (which I dont really need at 1440p).

This all started because the fan was kicking into overdrive when Iā€™d try the Empires Apart beta. So I started up the software to watch the temps.

I take what I said back, I think that card running anywhere in the 70s might be totally spec. Still a little surprising to me though.

My 1080 runs at 82C consistently. Iā€™ve long given up caring how hot it gets.

The temp at which the software generates warnings is configurable, so I think I will just bump it up to 85. That way it will just warn if it gets within 10c of the max temp in the specs (94c).

Reference blowers run much hotter, and 82C is the default threshold at which point it starts dropping frequency. You can set the threshold higher in something like MSI afterburner; I set mine to 90C. Not that it ever gets that high as I donā€™t have a reference cooler.

I think it probably has always run at this temp, but I havenā€™t been running this software and Iā€™ve had the fan settings on quiet. While looking at this Iā€™d switched it to the aggressive fan setting, but that doesnā€™t seem to make much a difference temp wise, but is a lot noisier. This is the EVGA SC 1070 ACX 3.0.

Assuming youā€™re playing a demanding game it absolutely will always run at 82C, because it keeps ramping frequencies until it hits 82C, then it backs off. If you pump up fanspeeds it will clock higher before hitting 82C. So youā€™ll run faster, not cooler.

Well, good. At least I donā€™t have to sell a kidney to get a new gpu now :)

Yep itā€™s fine. This is GPU Boost 2.0, thatā€™s how it works now.

http://www.nvidia.in/object/nvidia-gpu-boost-2-in.html

nVidia has stock again, but, again, not the 1080i. :-/

11:32am PDT -

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/

Aaand theyā€™re gone within three minutes.

I had it in my cart and couldnā€™t check out fast enough!

That really sucks.

Evga.com has some in stock, though they raised the prices to the point where I wouldnā€™t pull the trigger.

I still highly recommend signing up at https://www.nowinstock.net/ for anyone waiting for a video card.

Of course that doesnā€™t solve the problem of all of the cards being overpricedā€¦ :/ Maybe you can only follow specific sellers, that might workā€¦

My local Microcenter has been fairly reliable at keeping cards in stock recently. I picked up a 1080ti last week to replace an ailing 1080. I notice that their website specifically excludes these cards from being available online, though. Thatā€™s probably the only reason I was able to pop in and buy one :)

Yeah, my Microcenter has some on the shelf, but at $1100 plus as compared to $699 at Nvidia.