"When its done" now looks like 2004 for DOOM 3

“Though id Software basically invented the idea of using “when it’s done” as a release date, and thus did not specify a release date when DOOM 3 was announced (story), many have been assuming that the game would be available for this year’s holiday season (and jcal points out the DOOM 3 E3 billboard did clearly promise this year). Now a report on HomeLAN Fed cites Activision’s 2003 release calendar and quarterly financial conference call to gain a bit more clarity on when to expect the highly anticipated shooter sequel. Activision admits that this matter is entirely in id’s hands, but that they are not expecting the game this year, and have it “penciled” on their calendars for fiscal Q4 (Jan-March) 2004.”

So is the delay iD just wanting to work more on the game, or to maybe put some distance between their game and another certain shooter coming out in awhile…

…or they could be waiting for more of the market to have faster hardware so Doom 3 runs for more people.

I just wish they’d put a stake in the ground and annouce a date already.

The last thing I want to do is ship Painkiller within 2 weeks either way of Doom3, and it’s making me nuts not knowing Activision’s plan.

Speaking of which, Painkiller first look should be going up pretty soon, Gladdy. I was reservedly impressed - obviously not a ton can be deduced from one gun, but hot damn it was fun lobbing grenades at those robed freaks and watching them fly.

I’ll second that, Painkiller was one of the more pleasant surprises of E3…old school kill 'em all FPS action with stylish visual design, good control, mondo killing and no “amusing, in a early 90’s Softdisc shareware sort of way” Serious Sam style goonery.

As for Doom III, hopefully this’ll mean I can afford a PC able to run it by then (P400 w/ Voodoo2 = no enough :wink:)

Yeah, I feel for ya. Too bad you can’t release now. This would be a good time, before Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

Yeah, you don’t want to be the next Icewind Dale, Gladman!

Released just after Diablo II and a fw weeks before Baldur’s Gate II. It had no chance to be a hit (still sold respectably though).

Give me co-op in Painkiller and you could release it the same day as HL2 and I will still get it. :D

Though id Software basically invented the idea of using “when it’s done”

No they didn’t. That was Ultimate Play the Game.

So is the delay iD just wanting to work more on the game, or to maybe put some distance between their game and another certain shooter coming out in awhile…

Reckon they fell into the 3D Realms bullshit trap of announcing it too early, and panicked when they saw so many people wanted more than a tech demo.

“…or they could be waiting for more of the market to have faster hardware so Doom 3 runs for more people.”

Then they will have to hold off untill sometime in 2005. Besides thats never held them up in the past.

Now isn’t everyone glad that they made hardware purchases on the idea that they’d be able to run Doom 3?

I am, since I made my hardware purchases for Half-Life 2, which has been specifically tailored for the card I bought. :D

Why would anyone do that? Are people actually expecting this game to be half as good as its engine? The only reason I care is that I’m looking forward to the actual games that will be made with the D3 engine by Raven.

PS: Is this delay really a surprise? No release date in late July and it’s going to be out for Christmas? Come on.

Why would anyone do that? Are people actually expecting this game to be half as good as its engine? The only reason I care is that I’m looking forward to the actual games that will be made with the D3 engine by Raven.[/quote]
This is the internet, where people dress up in costumes of ducks and have sex. Do you really need to ask if they plan hardware purchases far in advance of the release of a game with an unspecified release date?

Half life 2 looks to be ten times the game that Doom III is, even if it has x more polygons or whatever. who cares?
I cerytainly wont be upgrading ym PC purely to play any one single game anyway, Ill upgrade when I have spare cash and my current machine becomes unmbearably slow.

Well, that’s easy. Just ship it before October. :)

Well, that’s easy. Just ship it before October. :)[/quote]
Ahhhh… would that it be possible…

Oh yeah I totally believe that. It’s not the practice I’m questioning, it’s why they’d do it for this game. HL2 I could understand, but I haven’t seen anything that says that D3 isn’t just a tech demo.

You aren’t the only one. There are one or two VERY VERY BIG TITLES THAT I CAN’T MENTION ON PAIN OF DEATH CUZ I PROMISED MY FRIENDS I WOULDN’T TELL that are also slipping to approximately the same release time frame as DOOM 3. They are not happy to be competing for your Jan-Apr 2004 disposable income.

Last year I was told to wait till doom 3 before upgrading. My computer will be 27 months old when Doom 3 finally arrives if it comes out in may 2004. (assuming I wait that long, I normally upgrade more often than that) Had I waited, I would of been running on a 45 month old computer.

In short, I upgrade for the sheer enjoyment of upgrading. :D