When sc-fi goes off the rails

I think the keyword here is “yet”.

Asspull openings for writers is a horrible thing …

I hear the Daleks weren’t actually finally destroyed. Davros too.

I don’t get it then. I believe I said that if you’re going to do arc it needs to be planned. Dr Who clearly isn’t a show about arc, and the tiny arc there is is very much tertiary. Shows like BSG are so much about the arc it’s thrust into your face at the start of the episode. If you’re going to do that, you better have planned for it or you’re going to get burned.

It’s dying after its fourth series. I don’t think it’s getting away with it at all.

Epiphany:

BSG is a forum vampire game being played out on in network TV. Two games, in fact.

Like Rome, it’s just too expensive to justify it’s mostly niche audience. Doesn’t mean that it’s a bad show. There are plenty of critically acclaimed series that get canceled every year, it’s usually the really crappy shows that run for a billion seasons.

BSG was a bad show though, after 1.5 series (and I believe ratings fell after the second season). Rome was just bad, period. For some reason it’s getting a lot of love, so there’s an audience out there somewhere, just not sure why.

In your opinion. Considering your opinions on everything else I’ve seen, I really can’t take yours all that seriously, no offense. :) You hate Rome, you love Temple of Doom, you hate BSG, you love the worst parts of DS9. I don’t really know what else to say than that your taste doesn’t really seem to follow very many other people’s.

Um, well WTF could it possibly be?

And I don’t like Temple of Doom… and hate BSG? Uh WTF. You know, to comment on people’s opinions it’s kinda necessary to know what they are first.

It is not that all modern TV serial fiction eventually become soap operas; all modern serialized fiction are soap operas. And who can you blame for this? David Lynch.

Twin Peaks (1990) took a soap opera and stitched it to a detective story - and BAM! - you have template for the modern TV serial. Almost every serial drama now mixes a soap opera with [FILL IN THE BLANK]. Example: 24 - Soap Opera and Spy Novel (First season soap opera highlight: AMNESIA!) I am guessing that there is something in the DNA of soap operas that make watching a continuous story easier.

Sorry, it was Last Crusade, not Temple of Doom. My point still stands, though.

Y’know, I’ve always wondered-- if ye British insist on referring to a season of a TV show as a “series”, then what do they call a series (i.e., the sum total of all seasons)?

“Series finale and by the way there won’t be any more series after this”, just doesn’t have the same ring to it, you know?

No idea, never referred to something that way. Maybe a run? Generally we’d refer to it simply by it’s name “This is the last ‘Yes, Minster’ ever!”

Oh yes, arguing from a standpoint about how most people like a sci-fi program, yeah, you’re on strong ground there. I also dislike reality television which ratings show to be some of the most successful stuff on the planet, so clearly I cannot comment on anything. Ever.

We use series for both.

Because it actually was a good show and your taste objectively sucks. That’s as a good a theory as any.

Taste can’t suck, it can simply differ.

Try reading Rimbo’s webcomic thread.

You really are obsessed with me, aren’t you?

Try being a supertaster.

I have. You win.

I’m confused. Is Quitch actually getting shit for liking Last Crusade? That’s a fantastic movie. Why would there be any problem with liking it?