Where are the great designers of yesteryear?

Tom Hall cofounded “Monkeystone Games” with Romero and Stevie Case. He mad e their only game, “Interstellar Delivery Boy”. When Monkeystone went under, he followed Romero to Midway. Romero worked on the new Gauntlet game (seven sorrows), while Hall worked on NARC.

Since then, I have no idea where he went. I assume he’s still with Romero at his new studio on the penninsula.

Kojima has had a pretty steady stream of games since the early nintendo era.

NARC, eh? That´s a great way to go. 50% on GameRankings, which means it´s probably nigh on unplayable.

Who the hell goes off with JOHN ROMERO to found a new studio these days? You must have the short-term memory and industry savvy of a sea cucumber to pull a stunt like that. Stevie Case? Isn´t that the chick Romero bought new tits for on Ion Storm credit? As in the literal “Killcreek”?

Another aside: Romero went off and married a 17 year old Romanian chick a few years back. They posted love letters in their blogs. How come that didn´t kill off Romero´s industry standing, as it should prove that he is completely off his rocker?

Where did the Troika guys go?

Miyamoto hasn’t done any direct design work in years, I think. He’s pretty much exclusively in a producer role. Doesn’t stop people from giving him full creative credit whenever they can, though, even when he had little to do with the game.

Tom Hall is currently at Kings Isle, an Austin-based MMO developer founded by the original Wolfpack Studios owners.

He also designed one of the best RTS games evar: M.A.X., so be careful about pigeonholing him. His talent is greater than that, imo.

Stuart Smith – the genius behind Adventure Construction Set which predated NWN by amost 20 years

Really, I like games and all, but some of you throw the word “genius” around much too easily. Aristotle, Aquinas, Kant–these guys were geniuses. Stuart Smith designs video games.

While we’re at it, to the list of those still designing, I’d add the Might and Magic guy (can’t remember his name) and David Bradley. Also, possibly Steve Meretzky, although I haven’t heard anything about him in years. Last I knew, he was still at Legend, but maybe he’s gone now.

Of the three principles I believe only one is still in the Industry (Leonard Boyarsky who is at Blizzard.) Linoleum would know.

Didn’t he have creative control on Pikmin? Or was that someone elses baby?

Producer role only.

Jon Van Canaghem.

Jon Van Caneghem.

edit: dang, too slow!

Jon Van Caneghem is part of a new MMO studio.

A lot of these guys are still around, they’ve just moved up the ladder. I was shocked when I saw Bill Budge in the credits for some later 3DO games.

Hm. So the press made up all that poppycock about Pikmin being inspired by Miyamoto weeding in his garden?

He may have been a producer, but I think it was his design and concept.

I think Steve Barcia of Master of Orion and Master of Magic fame ended up working on the Gamecube Metroid games.

A lot of the 1st generation game designers got “promoted” into management/executive roles heading up studios and the like. A few have escaped and are now consulting.

• Alan

Barcia! That’s the guy. I was trying to remember the guy who ran Simtex.

American McGee is working on the next American McGee’s American McGee title.

Exactly!!
He should take a look at what Square has done with Final Fantasy and decide to remake Ultima 4-7 for new machines. I would leave work right now and purchase a remade Ultima 4 if I knew it exsited. I’m not talking about any fan-made remakes either (no offense intended to fans and their remakes). I want a Richard Garriott re-designed, gorgeous 3D, epic adventure in the style of the old Ultimas.

Also, I’d like Chris Sawyer to make Roller Coaster Tycoon 4…

The great designers are sick of the pandering, unoriginal, monolithic, “Fire the development team once the game is released”-ic, sequel- and franchise- obsessive-compulsive greedy publishers of today. They all probably found something more enjoyable and less stressful to do for a living. That’s my story-rant and I’m sticking to it. :-D

The only time I ever came close to that atmosphere even a little was when I worked for a private newsletter company as an editor. When my newsletter had good subscriber figures, I was a genius; when they were down, I was a chump. So now when the gaming geniuses have an idea that sells, they are still geniuses; if nobody much lines up to buy the game, they are washed up has-beens (the game’s quality be darned).