Where is all the bandwidth going at my casa?

On your router you could set up QoS and limit certain connected devices to certain speeds. It should offer it if the router is less than 5 years old.

Get them kids on 64k baud modem speeds. ^.^

Yeah, you basically need a router that records usage to figure out who’s hogging your connection. Every aftermarket firmware will do that, pretty much.

One of these days it’s your kids who are going to be metering your resource usage!

*So don’t get caught.

Two teenagers can easily consume 1TB of content in a single month. They will watch Netflix on the TV while simultaneously watching youtube videos.

My current plan with Comcast avoids data caps but I had to sign a 3yr contract… well worth it!

As crummy as my 16Mbps down / 1 Mbps up DSL is, at least it’s unlimited!

I UPLOADED several terabytes last week.

This happened to me and I’m pretty sure it was the neighbors. I live in a fairly high density neighborhood with lots of networks in range. My ISP (Rogers, which has a near monopoly) shipped a modem/router with guest access enabled and the password set to “password”. I never bothered to troubleshoot but I never came close to my data cap after disabling the guest account and changing my password.

Well, after talks with everyone, and doing a little dinking around, I think it’s safe to rule out being used as a torrent seed site or anything along those lines.

• One of the kids downloaded about 30G in games in the last few days. Apparently it only took a few minutes, which is a testament to the fast download service we have (booya for fast downloads).

• I don’t think any of us has a good sense for how much data we use on a daily basis. I was pretty surprised to see us at a terabyte, for instance.

• One reason it may have jumped is because we have more devices, since the kids both have laptops now

• I probably need to get a new firmware for my router to see if it can track individual IPs. Right now I just get a number for up and down on the public IP.

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in with your thoughts! With this thread and then my other thread about viruses, I’m starting to feel like one of those old dodgers that always thinks he’s been hacked. Have we been hacked? OMG, OMG, OMG…