Where the Hell is Matt? Kickstarter

I mean, I dunno about that stuff. For reference, Guatemala City manages a murder-rate about 10x higher than Memphis, TN (which itself is averaging about 3rd most dangerous city in the US by most ratings), and the country of Guatemala as a whole has multiple cities in the top-50 list of murders/100,000 citizens. Violent crime is rampant in both rural and urban areas, gangs control large portions of the cities and country, and organized crime has tendrils in every level of government, overtly and shamelessly (to the point that the distraught populace recently voted in a goofy comedian to replace their most recently convicted President). The overwhelming majority (90%+) of the murders go unsolved, some rather. . . pointedly so.

Now, I dunno about you, but when I travel in Memphis, I behave very differently than I do I in, say, Cary, NC (which has 1/13 the number of murders per 100K that Memphis does–to say nothing of violent crime altogether). The general and consistent threat-level is noticeably higher, and warrants a far more conscious, cautious demeanor. It’s the logical and safe way to behave.

So if you go to a place that’s a whole order of magnitude more dangerous than that, cut off (most likely) from friends, family, your bank, your insurance, and, perhaps, even people who speak the same language as you do, I think a fairly notable level of caution is warranted. Particularly if you are an obviously white, English-speaking, moneyed foreigner traveling off the beaten path away from explicit tourist zones or along long, paramilitary-studded highways.

My favorite example of the baseline crime expectancy in Guatemala–and its pervasiveness–is that when my mom and I used to travel there in the late 90s–a time of relative peace!–it was understood that you’d leave ~$20-40 American as bribes at the top of each suitcase you checked through customs into or out of the country. It’d be quietly and politely taken out, and then the bag would be handed off to you without another word. Sans the bribe? Expect a lovely series of delays and poorly communicated attempts to extract the cash, instead.

If it makes them feel good, they might. Based on posts like this, I doubt it though.

I totally see why others wouldn’t get it, and that’s fine. But I really don’t see the ploy here. This guy is asking for money to fly around the world and do a silly dance. And he’s doing that by telling people he wants to fly around the world and do a silly dance. Where’s the deceit in that? How is he tricking me?

It´s not like Coke at all.

And Coke is not tricking anyone.

I do not think anyone believes he is “tricking” anyone. He’s just giving some vague, fuzzy bullshit reason that really amounts to, “Pay for my vacations.”

There’s nothing wrong with that, and as said earlier, if people want to give him money, more power to them. I’d prefer they give the money to a more worthy cause, but it isn’t my money. They can do what they want with their money.

As I said, I’m a hypocrite. When I stop buying hundreds of dollars of computer games, when I have not played through the games I already have, while people in my own city don’t have enough to eat, then I’ll feel like I can judge other people. :)

Oh, ok, English not being my first language might be the problem here: I thought a ‘ploy’ implied evil intend, whereas this guy doesn’t seem to have that. And I do agree there are more worthy causes then his, but I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. After all, it’s not like I made a choice between spending money on charity or on him. For me personally, I’m just giving him a couple of bucks to make a video I know I’ll enjoy. Money I might otherwise have spend on a movie, or on Netflix or something…