Where to live in the US?

Hey, it was good enough for the B-52s and REM. Also Drive-By Truckers, Neutral Milk Hotel, Of Montreal, you know. Stuff like that.

Athens sounds gre… oh, Georgia. Not so much.

To me Rome feels fairly far out to really be a suburb of Atlanta. But, as others have said, that means it is moderately close to both Atlanta and Chattanooga so if you want things that cities provide you are set. It’s in a nice area with access to nature.

Beckley was a nice enough town to drive through but it seems like it might be the most likely to be economically depressed of the three. Do they have much other than the remains of a coal industry and some beautiful countryside? It also feels fairly far away from a big city.

I think we can safely assume that the trend everywhere is towards warmer weather on average. I agree that we can’t necessarily predict more extreme weather patterns, but for example I’ve lived in Minnesota for 30 years and recent winters have a) started later, b) had less snow, and c) had much briefer cold extremes on average than 10 years ago, much less 20 or 30. Meanwhile, California’s been catching on fire more and more over the last several years, and climates that never used to get hot enough to need air conditioning are hitting 100+F temps on the regular without the tools to cope.

I would hardly suggest here or even Iowa to someone who doesn’t like cold winters - I imagine we’ll have temps that many find cold for decades to come. But I’d expect the sorts of places that currently get snow but not subzero temps are a safer bet than the deep South.

We have 60 years of clear evidence.

In the Twin Cities, annual average temperatures increased by 3.2° F from 1951 to 2012, which was faster than both national and global rates of increase.

The changes will only accelerate, they won’t stay static. What we don’t know is how colder coastal regions will be affected because they rely on the current salinity/temperature for their ocean currents and their resulting temps. Britain and parts of Europe are milder than they should be thanks to the warm Gulf Stream currents. So Britain could technically get a whole lot colder as all that ice melts.

I think you missed my point. We have 60 years of clear evidence that temperatures on average are increasing. I believe in climate change.

I don’t think you can decide “it’s gonna get warmer right here.”

It doesn’t work that way. As you mentioned, there are places that will possibly get cooler, etc. So leaving your current place because you’re guessing it will get a few degrees warmer might simply be inaccurate.

Regarding Minnesota, for example, I don’t know how much warmer the winters have been getting. I know this year, it’s been freaking cold through October and November. Like temperatures in the 30s in October for weeks cold.

We differ a bit on this. I’ve lived here for 20 years, and I haven’t really noticed it getting much warmer.

But I agree with your overall logic regarding places in the deep south (or places like Arizona), which is why I don’t want to be in Florida, etc.

That’s why I’m interested in places like Portland and Chattanooga.

30s in October is relatively warm for Minnesota. Infamously back in the early 90s we had a full on blizzard on Halloween. Now it’s very unusual to have much snow stick before late December. 40s in November, now, also. By no means is it always warmer, there was that cold snap last week and there have been a few viciously subzero stretches in January or February the last few years. But overall? Absolutely, and quite noticeably.

Dude, are you just trying to argue with me to prove something?

Yeah, I haven’t noticed it. I’ve just noticed the repeated shitty “no spring, no fall, straight from 7-8 months of 40s and below into summer, then straight from 70s and 80s into 6-7 months of 40s and below” crappy weather this state has.

I definitely resent the lack of decent 50-60 degree days, that’s for sure.

I thought I was the only Greenville representative on Qt3!

@robc04 I’ll echo everything good Joe had to say about Greenville, but unfortunately I can’t add to the school discussion either. I love it here though.

Anyone who has lived in the same place for a long time can remember back to cold spells and also heat waves. Here in California there has always been a history of droughts and wet years. The current fire season has really not been that bad, especially when you consider the long drought prior and the complicity by PG&E. One thing here in the San Joaquin Valley that has changed due to climate change is the almost complete disappearance of Tule Fog, which used to make driving on winter mornings/nights so much fun.

Unfortunately the Greenville position wasn’t a fit for what my wife is looking for. Almost ready to apply to Rome,GA. The other position between Salt Lake City and Provo looks absolutely beautiful. Houses definitely more expensive and has colder Winters. I love mountains though. Aren’t you in that area @KevinC?

I am, I live right outside Salt Lake City. Feel free to hit me up with any and all questions you might have.

Thanks. I’ll pm you with some.

Utah is great…favorite state to travel around in. Ski in Park City, mountain bike in Moab, canyoneering in the Escalante river. I’ve explored Utah more than any state and just love it.

My brother lived in Alpine, UT a number of years ago and I got to visit him out there. It was a lovely area of the country. He liked it there a lot. He helped design a bunch of the highways for the Olympics.

OTOH, try to get a drink there.

The more I think about it, the more appealing UT is. It’s little colder in the winter than I was hoping but quite a bit better than where I am in the midwest. I love mountains and it is so beautiful there. Crime is pretty low and other than housing, the cost of living seems reasonable. And I barely ever drink so if people don’t drink there I’m OK with that! :-)

I’ve never had much difficulty getting a beer there, as I recall.

Until the major breweries stopped making the 3.2% beer which might make it harder.