Where to preorder an Xbox 360?

EB is sold out, and Gamestop is $100 more than I want to spend (the cheapest non-core system bundle includes DOA and COD2, both of which I have no interest in).

Is there anywhere else you can preorder one of these badboys?

I’m going to go to Wal-Mart or Toys 'R Us on the second day and pick one up.

That’s pretty much my plan too. I work second shift, I’ll hit a Wal-Mart on the way home from work and see if I can snag one.

Whoa. You guys are going into a Toys R Us or Wal-Mart at the end of November? You are braver men than I. Actually, I guess going to Wal-Mart at like 11pm or something wouldn’t be bad. But Toys R’ Us? I want no part of that place until pretty much now to February.

Buy the bundle, then go to your car and drop off the system, go back into the store and return DOA and COD2. ;)

Seriously though, is there any reason why that wouldn’t work? Or do they actually require you to return the entire bundle if you want to return anything?

I am going to bestbuy at 9:30 am.

Wal-Mart at midnight is how I got both my Dreamcast and Xbox at launch. The game selection can be hit-or-miss, for both systems I ended up hitting a few stores the next day for the games I wanted, but it’s not a bad way to get the systems.

Or just do the sane thing and wait six months, when the systems will be readily available and there’ll be some games worth buying.

MSN Shopping listed Wal-Mart a few days ago (and you can’t find the link anywhere on Wal-Mart’s site). It was the Premium System – with no bundled games – for $400. Interestingly, the shipping cost was three hundred dollars. Check out the screenshot I took:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/spoonyface/walmart360-2.jpg

Called the number at the bottom of the page, and they couldn’t give me a clear explanation. My cell phone also lost its connection, so it’s academic now. Whatever the case, the MSN Shopping link now goes to Ritzcamera.com, which is offering the Core System at a 50 dollar premium. And who knows what the likelihood of order fulfillment is.

So yeah, I would head to one of the big box stores.

I do want one right away because I’m a sucker, but I hate the idea of pre-ordering. So I’m probably going to do the big box thing, but does anyone have any idea of what the availability will be like at launch?

For the DS I showed up at Best Buy at 9am and fought with the other jackals for a system, although there seemed to be plenty available. The PSP was a nightmare, and I only found one by driving miles to the nearest Wal-Mart, where I got the last one in the store.

I’m hoping it’s going to be easier for the 360, but have no idea what to expect. Is there any news on initial shipout, or other indicators on how hard it will be to get one for us non pre-orderers?

For the DS I showed up at Best Buy at 9am and fought with the other jackals for a system, although there seemed to be plenty available.

I did the same thing but 20 min after the store was open all the systems had been sold. I managed to get the last copy of MarioDS as well. I wish more companies would launch systems on a weekend.

The PSP was a nightmare, and I only found one by driving miles to the nearest Wal-Mart, where I got the last one in the store.

The PSP was the first system I ever preordred. Not glad that I did really but whatever on that.

According to a story in the local paper, Toys R Us is the in place to pick up hot single moms whose kids are with their dad for the weekend. Just FYI.

One message I seem to be hearing from microsoft is that they are intent on having regular shipments. So if you dont get it on day one the’re should be more soon.

According to a story in the local paper, Toys R Us is the in place to pick up hot single moms whose kids are with their dad for the weekend. Just FYI.[/quote]
Awesome, that’s even better than singles night at my local Safeway.

Does Costco get these systems Day 1? Anyone remember from previous (PSP, etc.) releases?

Don’t want their online bundle – it’s reasonable, but it has 7-10 day shipping, but buying one locally has the advantage of a lifetime warranty.

Unfortunately, Costco pretty much always bundles a console or handheld with extra games and accessories, both online and at the warehouse.

And apparently the bundle sold out anyway, somewhere in between your posting and mine :p

When the DS was super scarce at launch I was able to walk in to a CompUSA and buy one. Not a lot of people think CompUSA when they want console stuff.

Which compusa? Because no one goes to the one in Bellevue because its fucking retardedly hard to find.

Weekly, specifically. Don’t expect hundreds and hundreds to pour into your local EB every week, but most major chains should get a resupply every week.

If you want to preorder a 360, you’re pretty much out of luck unless you want to pay way too much for a bundle you don’t want. The whole first allocation is accounted for. In many places, since they have an idea what their 2nd week and 3rd week allocations are, those are gone, too.

If you preorder, you may not get it until 2-4 weeks after launch. I would ask your local store “if I preorder now, exactly when would I get my 360?” and make sure the clerk knows what he’s talking about.

Your only real hope is to go to a place that doesn’t take preorders (Toys R Us, Best Buy, Wal-Mart) on launch day and just try to buy one. Many of those places will be open at midnight and will sell out before the store opens that morning. In some places, not.

I preordered mine way back in May or something, so I’m number 90 or so on my local EB’s list, and they assure me I’m in on launch day. No bundle or any of that crap. Back then I figured, hey if I don’t like the price or don’t want one right away, I can always pick up my preorder and then e-bay it for a $100 markup. :)

Yeah, I didn’t preorder because with the Xbox, MS employees got access to them at launch time via a direct-order kind of thing. I don’t think that’s happening with the X360, but it’s too late for me to get in on the preorders… so I guess I’ll be camping at Walmart. :) That’s what I did for my PS2 and my Gamecube, so it’s kind of a tradition now…