Where's the new Venture Brothers episodes?

I thought there was supposed to be a new batch of episodes this spring… but I just see a few old re-runs lined up in late May. They didn’t cancel it’s new season did they? It’s like my fav show on tv.

I thought someone said that it was pushed to near 08. Ign had on their site that alot of adult swim shows including Venture Bros, metaloypse(completely misspelled) are renewed for another season.

Yeah, the new season will take a while. There was over a year between the first two seasons as well.

Do you guys really like this show? Based on its great word of mouth I grabbed the first season and only got through a couple of episodes. I found it to be disjointed, uninteresting, and just not particularly funny. What am I missing?

A sense of humor?

How old are you? You may just be too young. If you’re not old enough to have grown up watching Johnny Quest and Fantastic 4 cartoons, you may be incapable of appreciating the humor

Did you make it to the Yard Sale episode?

That’s the one that’ll make or break it for you.
Don’t like that one? Bail.
Like it? Keep going. It only gets better.

As for your first question. Do I really like it?
No.

I LOVE IT.

That ain’t it. I never even fucking heard of Johnny Quest until I was like 20. Although I did read a lot of Hardy Boys novels, so there’s that. Also, I think a healthy appreciation of the Tick helps, since these guys were roommates w/ Edlund and worked on the live-action Tick. He even wrote a few VB episodes. And if you dislike the Tick, then I’m going to concur with the sense of humor theory.

But yeah, I don’t see how you can dislike Venture Brothers unless it actually offends you, in which case, why the hell are you watching Adult Swim stuff? Their other shows I can see being too non-sequitur for some tastes, but VB has like a plot and character development and stuff.

I can see how pretty easily. The first episode is awful. It’s perhaps awful enough to make you not appreciate the second if you watch straight through.

Seriously, the U.N. episode is horrible. But there’s one good thing about it (well, other than the music)-- it adds to the mystique about how flat-out genius the rest of the series is. There were a number of months between when the first episode was made and Cartoon Network deciding that they were hard up enough for fresh programming that they ordered a series. In the intervening time, did they (Hammer and McCulloch) perhaps make some sort of infernal pact? It is a mystery, thus the mystique.

The UN episode was a pilot. I don’t think it’s the first episode on the DVD, think thats in special features isn’t it? Been a while since I popped the DVD in.

VB is probably my favorite cartoon ever.

I watched the first 3 episodes straight through, which was plenty. Based on that the show really wasn’t watchable. Thus my question, does it improve in later episodes?

Also I’m 30 years old, not offended by the thought of jesus christ jerking off into the froyo machines at the mall and selling it to 14 year old girls as the daily special diet chewy froyo with enriched protein to make their sweaterpuppies grow, and yes, I watched speedracer and all that crap when I was a kid. Still just not funny.

No, it’s definitely funny. You’re just terribly broken in a very sad way.

You’ve seen Home Insecurity and still don’t like it?

Hmm… Well maybe try the next episode (Incredible Mr. Brisby). If you don’t “get it” by then, I’d say give up.

“Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!”

The show grows on you. I’d suggest “Ghost of the Sargasso” as an episode to watch before dismissing the show entirely.

And this is coming from someone who basically hates everything else on Adult Swim (especially ATHF).

Uhm… Futurama? Or are you just talking originals?

The show had to grow on me too. I caught the odd episode here and there, about half-way through the first season. After catching a few and not thinking much of it, I slowly became obsessed with it.

I agree the DVDs start off slow though. Every time I’ve tried to get someone into the show, everyone pulls away with a big “Meh” after three episodes and wants to go do something else. IMO, its not till midway through the first season that most people get hooked.

I was hooked immediately. But then I’m a fan of Jonny Quest and The Tick, so I’m pretty much the target audience.

Dr. Girlfriend: Sweetie, isn’t that the guy from Depeche Mode?
The Monarch: Oh, no way! Where? Holy crap, he’s with a girl?
Dr. Girlfriend: Oh yeah, that guy is totally straight. I saw a whole thing about him on the VH-1.
The Monarch: But he’s the guy from Depeche Mode! It’s impossible.
Dr. Girlfriend: Straight.
The Monarch: Come on! He’s in Depeche Mode!

i don’t even know who depeche mode is and i was laughing.

One thing you have to undestand about VB is that the whole show is about failure.

Dr. Venture is a failure at being a super scientist.

The Monarch is a failure as an arch-enemy

Brock Samson is the bodyguard because it’s a punishment.

The boys are failures as boy adventurers.

Dr Orpheous(spelling?) is a failure as a Dr Strange type.

Ect, ect, ect.

Another thing the whole show is a parody of the old superhero cartoons alot of us watched as children.
There is some influence from Hardy Boys type things, but more the “Super XXXXX” kinda thing.

There are things you have to look for in the show that are funny that may not seem a joke at first.

Possible Spoiler

My favorite example of this is The Guild of Calamitous Intent. It’s a guild that regulates and works with Superheroes, Supervillans, and Superscientists. Often holding auditions to place villans and heroes with appropriate arch-whatevers. (Being a persons enemy is reffered to as Arching sometimes). Also the leader of the guild is David Bowie, or the Sovereign as he is refered to. David Bowie appears to be the most powerful Super-whatever in the show.

The show is very subtle sometimes when it deleviers it’s humor, there are a couple “Herculoids” references in the show, but there are very very subtle.

I love the show. Johnny Quest does appear in an episode, and he didn’t do all that well in life.

Ignore him!

I saw Mike Sc—something(the voice of Dean Venture) at AnimeBoston last week and he said that the recording would begin in a few weeks.