Which 2009 games were disappointments for you?

Since Tom is posting his list of 2009 disappointments soon over at http://fidgit.com/ I figure we should start listing ours.

As always, I’m not saying these are bad games (some are), just ones that I was dissappointed in and expected more or at least different.

Call of Duty 6: Modern Combat 2 (PC)
Lucidity (360)
Turtles In Time: Re-Shelled (360)
inFamous (PS3)
Empire: Total War (PC)
Lode Runner (360)
Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
Flock (PC)
Star Wars The Force Unleased (PC)
The Beatles: Rockband (360)
Boom Blox Bash Party (Wii)
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures (PC)
Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)

Empire: Total War was my most disappointing game, by far.

Empire: Total War for me as well.

I really wish Backloggery had better sorting or database features so I could answer these end-of-year questions more easily.

I think my one disappointment was ArmA 2, but only because I was hoping they would have more content and patches out by now. I was an early adopter and aware of the problems. Had lots of fun in the included custom scenarios. I know they will polish it up eventually, but I’m impatient and want an excuse to dive back into it now rather than later.

Operation Flashpoint 2

Empire : Total War. How can a company that has made multiple sequels of a franchise really just fail to deliver an enjoyable game.

Overlord 2 was a disappointment to me because they really didn’t expand on the gameplay and problems of the first one. I kinda wish I just bought the DLC for the first game instead of the sequel.

Battlestations Pacific got rid of all the great set piece multiplayer battles and added a bunch of base capturing, ticker wearing clunkiness. The result is a multiplayer game that is slower, more boring, and more likely to result in a stalemate.

Yeah I guess I didn’t even consider games I hadn’t purchased. This and Empire were bummers because they sounded like they’d be right up my alley.

Resident Evil 5. Just feels like an uninspired retread of RE4.

Operation Flashpoint 2 was not as exciting or as fun as I had hoped it would be. Just a difficult mess.

Agreed!

Agreed! (360 though)

Dude, wtf? You’re dead to me!

Get in the time-out corner with Rob and think about what you’ve said!

Empire : Total War
Aion
Prototype
Op Flashpoint 2
Divine Divinity II Ego Draconis(One of my fave orignal games ever)

MW2 was crap.

Brutal Legend? I put about four hours into it and lost interest.

Dragon Age: Origins? I put about 60 hours into and lost interest…

This. It just made me want to play the first one again unfortunately. I’m going to give it another go after the new year, we’ll see…

I’ll admit, I haven’t played alot of new games this year, but of those I was looking forward to, Puzzlequest: Galactrix was my biggest disappointment. If nothing else but for the hacking crap.

-Gil102

Oddly i dug it out and am playing through it too. So much better than this new one. I struggled to find anything good about DDII :(

You’re joking, right?

The controls sucked. Single player was a rehash of Mario games I played years ago. Especially the bosses. Playing multiplayer with my two 9 year old boys was one of the worst gaming experiences ever. It was as if Nintendo saw the camera for Traveller Tale Games Lego series and made it shittier.

/edit: Force Unleased for the 360 was a 2008 game.

I want to list Prototype even though I didn’t play it. I was really hoping it would be the next Crackdown, but reactions were so negative and mixed when it came out, especially by those that loved Crackdown, I couldn’t help but be disappointed even though I haven’t played it yet myself.

Op Flashpoint 2: Again, I haven’t played it, but I loved the first game so much, it was devastating reading negative review after negative review of the game.

Overlord 2: Again, fan of the first game, and was disappointed because of reviews and reading fellow fans’ reactions here at Qt3.

Infamous: A pretty good game in the 2nd Act, but I thought the first Act was terrible, as was the third Act. Still an enjoyable game overall that I’d recommend to people once it comes down in price, but this could have been such a better game with a little more time fixing bugs and with better writing and voice acting.

Killzone 2: What a piece of shit this turned out to be. The new Wolfenstein is a better game than this one overall. That said, I did like the third act in the game. The ending was decent, with much better gameplay than the first two thirds of the game, where they could have called it “generic shooter”. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone, not even at bargain price.

House of the Dead: Overkill - It pains me to include this, but I just didn’t feel it. I can see how people would love this game, but maybe lightgun games aren’t my genre? This was the first lightgun game I’ve played on a home console and I didn’t really dig the gameplay very much, although I did appreciate the flavor of the game.

Dragon Age: Origins - I know, I know, I listed it as my runner up for the game of the year, but at the same time it was also one of the most disappointing games for me. I never got over the feeling of the game being staged in little areas that are supposed to represent the bigger world. This has been a problem in other Bioware games before, like KOTOR, for example, but that always faded into the background for me. But it didn’t in this game. In this game it really felt like I was going through a series of small sets. It was especially obvious in the big human city later in the game. I had never before felt this constricted in an RPG, and it really hurt the overall game for me.

Brutal Legend was a disappointment. It just didn’t grab me at all. Another disappointment was Prototype. I just did not like that one at all even though I was looking forward to it.

“The most disappointing” requires 2 levels of subjectivity. First the very personal amount of expectation a player had for each game, which no two players will share. Then the slightly more qualifiable how much that person enjoyed the game.

There may be an ability to build some consensus around the 2nd part, but the first is impossible. Invariably someone else favorite game of the year will show up on someone elses most disappointing. Its an impossible distinction.

I think a reviewer should assume a game is bad before it ever makes it onto a most disappointing list. Otherwise isnt the problem the reviewers?