Which class, of all MMOs, is/was your favorite to play?

Burglar from LotRO.

Skald from DAOC, was awesome to run around solo or leading a group in the frontier at high speeds and gank unsuspecting people trying to level up with the XP bonus and/or defend their keeps.

EverQuest Wizard, up through the Luclin era or so. There hadn’t been massive damage inflation yet, so you could take several hits from most mobs without dying, especially with the rune clicky from the epic weapon. It was the class that did the most damage during the (few) times it was balanced correctly, but on top of that, it was one of the best pulling classes with rune and Staff of Temperate Flux, root spells were 90% as good as mez in most areas if you knew how to use them, the class could off tank surprisingly well with stuns + runes, it could teleport when that still mattered, it was one of the best solo classes, it was good in groups/raids. Plus a very fun basic level of AAs in Luclin with crits, mana burn, and some abilities to relieve the class mana issues. Basically it did a little bit of everything and it was a lot of fun if you were the kind of player who really liked to stretch the limits of your class.

Then in the later expansions it became a complete glass cannon that would get one or two shot by even common trash, which took away a lot of the stuff you could get away with earlier. Not nearly as fun.

Yup, exactly. It’s a huge reason WoW loses its appeal for me pretty quickly after each new expansion.

It’s such a great core mechanic.

I also loved my Kinetics Defender in City of Heroes. Sure, I could kinda sorta heal some, but it was fun to be this massive force multiplier. It’s also the only time I’ve ever been asked to remove a buff because the recipient was too drunk to deal.

I loved, loved, loved the Druid in WoW. I always skew toward magic users, but I also love having some infighting ability, and being able to sling spells then change into a freaking bear was just joyous.

Whatever class burns shit down. A mage in WoW, but the lack of this type of class is the main reason why I can never get really into LotRO. I also like offensive melee classes, but the Champion in LotRO didn’t do it for me in the end. I did enjoy the Blademaster in Hellgate though.

I’m hesitantly working my DK in WoW into being a tank. I’ll have to see how I can take that.

I love support roles with clearly defined objectives in a group.

FFXI, Ranger / Ninja. Was a LOT of fun, but too expensive, so I basically quit the game when I spent more time grinding than actually playing.

In WoW my fave was Hunter, good solo, great grouping.

AoC, Bear Shaman. Great DPS and Great Healing. I love the concept of “war priests” but every other game’s paladins and priests didn’t scratch that itch in the same way. Though I also enjoyed the Dark Templar. I actually enjoyed nearly every class in the game, but disliked so much of the surrounding elements that I couldn’t really sink myself into the world.

LOTRO, I like the Captain a great deal and that’s about it.

So it really depends on how the classes play in the game.

Yeah, playing a necromancer in Guild Wars is great fun. There are three main types of build, I guess, and they each play very differently. Often a necro can outdamage an elementalist, or outtank a warrior (by using minions). Hard to get bored with a necro.

A tie between Friar from Dark Age of Camelot and Fixer from Anarchy Online. Similar roles, actually, with both being DPS/support healing hybrids.

Top 3 in no particular order

EQ Bard - Nothing like being the ultimate buff machine, all the while getting to pull mobs and control them. Horrible solo, but everyone wanted a well played bard in a group.

WoW Priest - Holy (old game) and Discipline (more recently). The old holy spec took real skill to play and I was damn good at it. The newer discipline specs are single target with great solo abilities (reflective shield is my favorite spell ever).

WoW Frost Mage - Extremely fragile, yet with enough tricks that an excellent player could survive against tough odds and dish out massive damage.

Ooh, I really didn’t expect this. All that twisting, and twisting… and subsequent carpal tunnel.

I’m going to have to second the EQ chanter, I also loved my Monk, which was actually probably my favorite character of all time…god that class was great before SOE butchered it, both with gameplay and graphics.

I loved EQ in the early days when you absolutely needed a good party to not die.

The other one would be my life spec archer in the original asherons call. Was a great PvP toon.

I really miss Friars, too. The whole community was just awesome, and it was just such a neat class. It always had so many problems with balance.

Shaman kinda comes close in Wow, but not really.

EQ Magician: Had pets and nukes. Most of all could summon lots and lots of utility items. Need bag space? Here is weightless backpack. Arrows? Armor? Ring of Flight? Yeah, whatever your needs are, I got it.

CoH Controller: Ice and Storms, lots of fun. I could lock down huge quantities of mobs, no problem. The only problem was soloing wasn’t an option.

I want to say my EQ Monk but looking back I can’t think of much gameplay other than lots of kicking and punching, mend and feign death. So I’m guessing a lot of that is just nostalgia.

So I’m not really sure I remember well enough. Some classes I’ve had a lot of fun with:

Warden in LotRO – I really enjoy the gambit mechanic as it makes you think a lot more in combat. I particularly enjoy the ability to fire off all of my abilities with essentially four buttons (although I’m using 6 now w/ masteries, and will soon use 10 … but I’ve got them mapped to the num pad and I use them very differently than I would use your normal set of MMO abilities on a hotbar). In execution the class is great mix of scrappy “just won’t die” and “easy to learn, hard to master” which are both big selling points for me.

Shield/Dark Melee Tanker in CoH – I love CoH’s wide range of cutomizability and it lets you build lots of great combos like this. This build is a great combination of defense, debuffs and good AoE damage letting you get lots of aggro, easily stay alive and actually do great damage for a tank all at the same time. The shield charge ability was particularly brilliant.

Swordsman in SWG w/ Master Brawler – I loved this for all the wrong reasons. Basically I came up with one of the most broken and ridiculous builds in the game and soloed content that was wiping raids of 20 people. It was horrible game design but it was a lot of fun to play for a while.

You got root? NO! (pet dont count)

World of Warcraft Paladin

Anarchy Online hacker.

• Soo much flexibility…

Vanguard Saga of heroes Sorcer

• You really feel like a magical being

Conan guardian

• I strong, crush enemies. It was very fun for pvp in groups.

LOTRO monster play pvp

• Warg. Never played a “rogue” “assasin” class before… playing as invisible wolfpacks was amazing.

Honorable Mention:

Javazon/Bowazon hybrid in D2 – I started playing this early on before a few balance changes made Javazon’s a bit overpowered (i.e. ridiculous damage on Lightning Strike). It hit my sweet spot of a build that is underused but very good if used well. There were a lot of great ways to mix bow/javelin abilities to maximize crowd control and ass-kicking especially once you got to Hell.

I really love playing anything with a bow. Ranger, Hunter, whatever it’s called, I usually play that as my main in any MMO.

I’d have to say my favorite is the Hunter from Wow. It seems like the most pure ranged class out of WoW, EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, and others I’ve sampled.