Which console to buy in terms of present/upcoming games?

My wife wants me out of the den, so she can have time on the PC. I have a $200 Best Buy gift certificate dedicated to getting my first console - to use in the guest bedroom. I’m really torn, mostly between XBox and PS2. This being the forum populated by the most sophisticated gamers, which of the two or three platforms do you prefer? I mostly enjoy adventures, RPGs, games such as MGS and, likely, Splinter Cell. Clearly, PS2 has the biggest library of games available, but XBox seems to be catching up, although I wonder about its future. The Cube has Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness, but not much else of interest to me. Understanding the subjectivity involved in rendering this kind of opinion, I do appreciate your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks. Old Rooster (Dave F.)

The PS2 is still the safest bet with its large library of games with many excellent ones at lower prices. Sony’s first party stuff such as Mark of Kri, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper all debut at $40, plus they have a greatest hits line on PS2 where you can pick up some games such as GT3: A-Spec, Tekken Tag, Jak & Daxter, Twisted Metal Black, and others for $20. That’s not to mention game-of-the-year winners like GTAIII and beautiful games like Rez, Ico and Virtua Fighter IV.

I enjoy my Xbox, and I’m looking forward to Orta, Brute Force, SW: Galaxies, Halo 2 and likely Half-Life 2, but if I was on the proverbial desert island with only one of my consoles with my library of games it would be the PS2.

PS2 is the easy choice for all the reasons Jim outlines above and more. Since it’s going to be just you most of the time, the four controller ports on the Xbox won’t make much difference (PS2 only has 2). There are a great number of superb games for PS2 already in the Greatest Hits lineup including Metal Gear Solid 2 and they all go for $20.

If you enjoy RPGs, you’re really only going to find a large number of them on the PS2 as well. That’s where Square, Enix and most major Japanese RPG makers are currently working. You’ll also find a lot of games that fit the “adventure” genre on PS2. In general, because it is the most widely supported console in the industry, it will have a broader variety of games for you to play. You’ll also find rental games for it a lot easier than you would the Xbox.

–Dave

What they said. For RPG’s and adventure games, the PS2 is the clear choice. Splinter Cell will be ported soon to all consoles, though the Xbox version will probably remain the spiffiest.

The only Xbox RPG of note so far is Morrowind – though if you like it, there’s a lot of play time in it. Your favorite genres happen to be its weakest. They do have a Star Wars MMORPG coming out soon and Fable will be a high profile RPG in a year.

Besides those titles you mentioned, the Cube does have Zelda and a slight update on a noted RPG, Skies of Arcadia, coming out this spring.

You might want to zero in on exactly which titles you really want. But you will have more to choose from on the PS2, no question.

The biggie for me was the fact that the PS2 can also play PSOne/PSX games. If you’re not a graphics whore that means about 10x the number of titles, in total, all of the other boxes have going for them. Many of those games are action and RPG as well. I currently own about as many PSOne games as PS2 titles. You can also play DVDs right out of the box with no addons. Oh, and PS2 is the home of Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City. 'nuff said.

Mmmm…I tend to forget about the PSOne factor since I owned an original Playstation. That’s another great reason to go with PS2. Best of all, you can play one of the greatest RPG/Action/Adventure games ever made… Vagrant Story.

–Dave

Off topic: but are they ever going to make a sequel to Vagrant Story? I popped it in a few days ago for another romp–I don’t think there’s a game that I have replayed more times–but the graphics are getting harder on the eyes after the latest PS2 titles.

ian

Well, there’s no sequel planned that anyone is aware of, BUT, the creator of Vagrant Story and its guiding hand is in charge of Final Fantasy XII for PS2 IIRC. I expect nothing less than a superb game there with a lot of new ideas for the series. Rumor has it that’s what’s coming too.

–Dave

Well, you’re all wrong. :lol: The correct answer is Xbox.

I own a PS2, and every time I’m in EB/BestBuy/FutureShop, I find myself longing for the green glowing box.

The controller is better for grownup-sized humans, the technology is far and away superior, and as a DVD player, I understand it performs better as well. As for games, sure, there are the PS2 exclusives, but unless you absolutely must play GTA3: Vice City, all of the better 3rd-party games are available on all platforms. And they all look better on Xbox.

And one more thing…

Halo.

“Far and away superior” my ^&^%$*^%! The Intellivision was far and away superior to the Atari. Since then, the gap between the old generation and the new has gotten smaller with each generation. Today it’s pixel shading effects.

In 2009, the fanboys will be arguing about how realistically the werewolf fur moves in high winds when slightly damp.

I call bullshit. I know as many people who like the XBox controller despite the fact that they’re kids with small hands as I do adults who prefer the Gamecube or PS2 controllers. All of this “my hands are big” crap is just some weird attempt at rationalizing their personal preference. If you like one controller or the other, fine, but unless you have some weird physical deformation, there’s nothing that keeps any of these controllers from being comfortable.

the technology is far and away superior

“Far and away”? Do you work for Microsoft? I’m with runesword here.

and as a DVD player, I understand it performs better as well

The only comparison I’ve seen was on IGN, and they picked the PS2 as the better DVD player. It is made by Sony, after all. Then again, I’m not sure if it was far and away better…

I must be a total mutant, because I don’t prefer one controller over the other, as far as ergonomics. For sheer coolness though, the Wavebird is king.

In 2009, the fanboys will be arguing about how realistically the werewolf fur moves in high winds when slightly damp.

LOL, too true. :D

yes the wavebird kicks ass, now if only nintendo had put 6 face buttons and made the direction pad a bit bigger so I can play fighting games like Street Fighter!!! The controller is fine for Mortal Kombat but doesn’t work as well for Capcom vs SNK.

-Contrai

I’m a mutant, too, since I prefer the Gamecube’s controller. The tension in the Xbox and PS2 sticks is too loose for me and I prefer the GC’s distinct buttons. You never have to look down to tell what’s what on a Gamecube.

Actually, that’s the main reason I buy multi-platform titles on the GC. Tony Hawk 4, Timesplitters 2, Gauntlet. Heck, I’d be fine playing them on the Xbox if I could use a GC controller.

-Tom

I would always have to go with the Cube over either, but of XBox and PS2, PS2 wins every time, if for nothing else it has GTA. I hear Kingdom Hearts is good as well.

I think there’s a pretty big swing in focus for Sega away from the Xbox to the PS2 as well, if that’s a factor. Panzer Dragoon is the last big title I can think of from them headed to the Xbox. I could be wrong about this, but there haven’t been any new announcements in a while.

I enjoy my Xbox, and I’m looking forward to Orta, Brute Force, SW: Galaxies, Halo 2 and likely Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2? Have you heard something the rest of us haven’t? I don’t think Valve is actually working on anything anymore. I think they may have all been secretly killed by the Yakuza. Sierra covered up the deaths so it wouldn’t effect sales.

Rumor (dispensed at avault, maybe elsewhere) that Half Life 2 is going to be Xbox exclusive among consoles, though it will also be released on PC. No idea how accurate this is, or whence it comes…

Vice City? Far better on the PC. Console RPGs? More boring than Met_K with artificially bouncy boobs and giant eyeballs. And then there’s…

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,914510,00.html

Crazy offbeat stuff like this, Dance Dance Revolution, and Gitaroo Man, is the only reason I continue to own a PS2.

Note to readers: Yes, the PS2 graphics really are that bad. Emulsified ass, thy name is Emotion Engine.

I’m a mutant, too, since I prefer the Gamecube’s controller. The tension in the Xbox and PS2 sticks is too loose for me and I prefer the GC’s distinct buttons. You never have to look down to tell what’s what on a Gamecube.

Whoa, you are a mutant. I can’t stand the randomly sized randomly placed buttons on the GC. I find it impossible to remember what does what–little round button or big round button? Which crescent shaped button? Insane. I much prefer the PS2’s scheme, especially because it’s easy to explain to people: first base is shoot, second base is enter/exit, third base is reverse, and homeplate is sprint, etc…

Vice City? Far better on the PC.

I didn’t even know that was out yet. Regardless, for the PS2 it’s the best game ever made.