Which console to buy in terms of present/upcoming games?

So the damp werewolf fur is a bit pixilated – big deal.

I’m with Tom on the Gamecube controller. By far my favorite of the current systems. We’ve been over this before though. No need to go through that again.

As for wumpus, everyone including Old Rooster ignore that post. It’s the usual troll-fest.

–Dave

So the damp werewolf fur is a bit pixilated – big deal.

It is a big deal when you’re playing Sega Sports Tennis 2k2 on the PS2, and you can barely make out your player’s motions in the upper half of the tennis court. I’m serious. It’s bad. It is much easier when you play on the bottom half of the court, so the perspective makes your character larger.

It is true that a very few games don’t suffer from the 640x240 half-resolution problem on the PS2. I can personally attest that Ratchet and Clank looks good. You’ll have to ignore the N64-style blurry textures and liberal use of gourad shading, though. Developers only have a limited amount of video RAM-- you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

I’m with Tom on the Gamecube controller. By far my favorite of the current systems.

You don’t say! What’s your second favorite controller? The Dreamcast handheld manta ray?

You don’t say! What’s your second favorite controller? The Dreamcast handheld manta ray?

The Sega Genesis 6-Button Pad, since you’re asking.

–Dave

The Sega Genesis 6-Button Pad, since you’re asking.

He wasn’t. Ignore him.

Ah, well that explains it. Since I’m one of those rare males with an understanding deficiency in sports, I can’t relate. :)

The problem with the Xbox and PS2 controllers is that it’s easy to lose your frame of reference with the buttons. With the GC, you always know where the big red button is and can easily find your way from there.

And BTW, I don’t even have a Wavebird yet and I’m still totally into the GC controllers.

-Tom

Yeah, I never have memorized the corosponding shapes for the buttons on the PS/PS2 controller. It’s been like 7 years and every time a game tells me to hit the triangler button I have to look down and move my thumb to see which one that is.

See, the thing for me with the Xbox and PS2 controllers is that my thumb tends to find the groove between the four main face buttons, so I always know where I am. Even the white and black buttons on the original Xbox controller are familiar and easy to press now. I think if the Xbox controller had two additional trigger/shoulder buttons (like the DualShock), it would pretty much be perfect. :)

The Gamecube controller, on the other hand, just feels like somebody played “pin the tail on the donkey” with a collection of spare parts, as far as button placement and shape goes. I can’t stand it.

See, the thing for me with the Xbox and PS2 controllers is that my thumb tends to find the groove between the four main face buttons, so I always know where I am.

I can’t argue with what works for you, but I don’t want my thumb to have to find a groove between the buttons when it should actually be on one of the buttons.

I know it’s all personal preference, but part of my problem is that I’m rarely playing just one console system. I move around between all three (actually four, since the Dreamcast still gets it share of use). I always have a period of readjustment coming back to any controller except the Gamecube’s.

-Tom

It helps to think of Football as a Turn-Based strategy game that uses Combat Mission’s “We Go” turn system.

To continue along this line, it takes a lot more to break a GC controller. Well, it seems to at least.

Break-meter ({by severity):

3: PS2(room mate broke 3)
2: Dreamcast (Room mate broke 2, and the memory unit dented the wall next to my head)
1: GC (only one broken so far, but then again I moved out)

When considering a new system, it’s always good to take into account ruggedness.

When considering a new roommate, it’s always good to take into account potential for violence. :D

That amount of breakage is kinda scary hehehehe.