Which GTA Mission Did You Have To Redo The Most? (Spoilers, Obviously)

Three Leaf Clover. I didn’t have any trouble with the robbery part or the escape part. I just kept dying after we made it out of the subway, because I would continue to kill cops and my wanted level would go from 4 stars to 5 stars, and then I would have to contend with even more NOOSE barricades, blocking the bridges, for example.

One time I almost got away, but then they used the EMP device on my cop car, and the engine died and I slowly came to a halt on an empty stretch of highway. It was eerie how silent it was. No other cars in the area, no helicopter, just me on an empty highway for a couple of seconds, trying furiously to get my car started again. And then the I moved out of the eye of the hurricane as the shit storm descended on me from all sides. I had no real chance at that point since I only had a sliver of health left.

So next time I used Kiki to clear my wanted level once I got out of the subway. I figured I’d had a blast with the mission four times, and that was enough. I didn’t want to start hating the mission by repeating it too many times.

The Dwayne strip-club mission was also one I repeated three times, because the guys who got away at the back of the club always managed to evade me while the cops hunted me down. So then, finally I concluded I needed to kill them the moment I left the club, since they drive by you. And sure enough, an accurate spray from my SMG did them in, and I didn’t have to do a car chase at all. I was easily able to evade the police then.

I’ve had pretty good luck compared to Lizard King in terms of doing things my way and the missions letting me get away with it. When I’m on a mission where I’m chasing people on a motorcycle, or a car around the city, I usually can’t get close enough to fire at them accurately. And when I can get close enough, I usually shoot them, and they go down. Other times, like in Dwayne strip club mission above, shooting them before the chase even starts works for me any time I’ve tried it. Someone in another thread mentioned the Most Wanted Mission where you have to go after the bikers who split up? Well, I just killed one of the them when I first happened to start the chase, and then I chased the other one until I got close enough to kill him.

I guess what I’m saying is, in my experience, I haven’t encountered any immersion-breaking moments like Lizard King because any time I’ve been close enough to try something, it’s worked for me, and other times I’ve been just close enough to make it an exciting chase, but not close enough to actually kill my targets. So from my perspective, Rockstar really hit the sweet-spot for my skills as far as having me participate in exciting chase scenes, while also letting me cut a chase short by killing people at the beginning of a chase at other times. I’ve been really happy with that balance they’ve struck. Nothing has felt contrived to me so far.

I’m stuck on Tunnel of Death right now. That truck is so goddamn slow, how are you supposed to evade the cops in it?

I think I’ve done every other mission up to there. I’m working on the lawyer girlfriend, because there’s nothing else to do (except the Fixer and racing) and I can’t bear to fail it again.

I just thought of something. GTA4 would be greatly improved with the addition of Max Payne style bullet time combat. The combat wouldn’t be nearly as irritating then.

Glad to see I’m not alone on that.

Actually, that’s what I tried first, driving through the warehouse, pulling up near the boats. Phil promptly got stuck in an object as he (I assume…) and died horribly. I’m sure it’s doable, but I just can’t face the drive, pickup Phil, drive, pick up truck, drive, THEN DO MISSION again. I’d almost snapped earlier during the Russian chase one, just because I had to keep going to his apartment to get the intel before chasing him. That bullshit really discourages what little experimentation is available for many of the missions.

It’s also the meta nature of the mission that pisses me off, where they have Phil and Niko discuss just how stupid the plan is and then give you no option to avoid this “sharks with laser beams” approach to problem solving. It’s not like the whole terrible plan given to you by a moron pattern hasn’t been done to death in this game already (it’s right up there with “how many missions before I betray this guy I’m working for”), but at this stage I’ve had enough. I guess apart from the amount of time I did get out of the game the best part was that it got me playing Scarface, which for all of its obvious flaws is more my kind of game.

I beat Three Leaf Clover on my first try, maybe I was lucky.

I had to retry the hospital assassination mission at least 5 times. I kept thinking there was a clever way to kill and get away like in a Hitman game, but no: run and gun is the only solution.

The key for me was going as fast as possible out of the tunnel and into the straightaway that follows. Little things, like making sure your roadblock isn’t completely across the road (you have plenty of time before getting in the police truck). If you get lucky (I didn’t the first two times) with the police spawns, they won’t be quite quick enough to catch you and won’t appear right in front of you in the tunnel.

The most for me was probably about 5 or 6 on Snow Storm, because I kept trying to do things the developer didn’t want me to do, like run away from the cops coming in the front door. Once I gave up on being smart and just concentrated on slowly killing all the cops it was fine.

I had to do Snow Storm about 8 times because every cop I killed, 3 more would spawn in it’s place. And even with the body armour, it only takes a couple of hits to bring you down. On the 8th try I just ran straight through the dozens of cops in the building (which is weird as there was only 2 or 3 cop cars outside. What are they, clown cars?) only to find myself with the only means of escape is a pickup that wasn’t there when I got in which replaced the sports car I had convinently parked near the entrance to make a quick escape.

The motorcycle chases are bad enough that they make me want to stop playing. And the lame auto-save system doesn’t help–I don’t want to start all the way back at the beginning, let me start where the chase starts.

I dunno, like all of the combat missions in the game I found Three Leaf Clover extremely easy by using blind fire and liberal use of grenades. I hardly take any damage using blind fire in this game.

I have problems with the missions involving car chases though, because I suck at driving.

All but 2 missions I had done on either the first or second try, the first motorcycle chase was annoying because I kept trying to shoot him right off the bat instead of chase. But the Final mission for revenge takes the cake for almost making me want to give up. I failed on the motorcycle chase boat part about 4 times, before getting to the helicopter at which point I failed due to rocket ot the face, followed by 3 more fails then finally finished it.

So how do you date Kiki? There’s no one named Kiki on the dating site.

Out of Commission

So far…gobble gobble achievement.

I now officially hate minigame achievements. (And maybe one day I will magically somehow earn this one!)

Kiki=LawChick or somesuch on Love-Meet.

Her handle is LawChick or LawyerChick or something like that.

Move two (full) steps to the left, then bowl straight. It’s not totally an automatic strike but it’s close enough that you should get the achievement within a few games.

I played about 12 full games straight last night doing this. I am the master of hitting 9 pins, and occasionally I would hit 2 strikes only to fumble the 3rd with 9 down when it appears nothing changed in the strategy, speed, or aim of the ball. I wanted to scream.

I failed that a couple times because I was trying to catch up to him and shoot at the same time, and ended up crashing a lot. Once I quit trying to catch up and just followed at a leisurely pace to the park, I had no problem. It’s annoying because the first time you play a mission you have no way of telling whether it’s a “follow to the destination” mission or a “gun them down in their car” mission other than trial and error. The first mission for Derrick was nice because he actually tells you to follow the target to the house, so you know you’re not supposed to try to shoot him up en route.

I dunno, that just reminds me of my real-life experiences bowling. I hate the pool game far more. It’s just retarded the way balls will hit the cushion and stick there like it’s a sandbag. At least the achievement didn’t require you to run the table or anything.

Were you in the far left lane? Also you want to bowl at medium speed.

Yea, far left-lane. What is medium speed? About 23mph? I tend to average about 27mph but I flick the stick pretty fast, maybe I do need to slow down the ball rolling. How long should I hold the stick back before going up?