Which old Bethesda game should I play first?

I have heard so many good things about both Morrowind and Fallout: New Vegas. And I now have paid-for copies of both. Morrowind came with the 10-year anniversary deal I got for Skyrim on Steam; my son gave me a copy of FNV via GOG.

I’m leaning towards Morrowind first, because I suspect that playing FNV first will make Morrowind a whole lot less fun by comparison.

Daggerfall

The only right answer, though of course use Daggerfall Unity.

ಠ_ಠ

Morrowind is a good choice. Know going in that the combat is underwhelming to say the least. But it’s such an interesting world to explore if you can look past that.

New Vegas was developed by Obsidian. I’d play that with mods.

Fallout: NV is Obsidian. Fallout 3 is Bethesda. NV was better, but I also enjoyed FO3.

Morrowind was excellent in its day (20 years ago), but I would think it’s rather clunky today. You might need a few mods.

I know. But Bethesda published it, FO is now their series yadda yadda.

I’ve given Morrowind some mods and … it’s still clunky. I hear it takes a bit to get into the good part. I’ll keep pushing on.

(Random aside: What I really want is a modern remake of System Shock 1. Now THAT game is unplayable now. I thought the SS/UO engine was unplayable even back in the day…)

Morrowind. It’s clunky and janky but its sense of place is second to none. For all its clunkiness, there are so many interesting design choices (like the way it implements fast travel, for one), and you can “break” the game in so many different and awesome ways. I recommend it, but be aware that you’ll probably find a new thing to hate with the heat of a thousand suns in the first few hours playing. I still get my blood pressure up every time I hear “cliff racer”.

Then go for FNV. It’s clunky too, but in a more modern way. Gameplay is better than Morrowind too, though you can’t break it in interesting ways like you can in Morrowind. It also has a fantastic sense of place, and no cliff racers. If you click with it, it might become your favorite game ever, but don’t quote me on that.

No, I think this is an important distinction to make.

I agree, Rimbo you’re being oddly dismissive in a thread in which you yourself asked for advice.

Oh, absolutely one of the mods you should use for Morrowind is one that makes it so there are no cliff racers.

So true. I remember there was a mod (likely several) that toned it down. Morrowind has atmosphere in spades, which for me made up for the rather mundane combat.

Which of these 2 games should I play?

“Play a 3rd game”

“One of the games you suggested is actually developed by another company” (Though it is based on IP developed by the company in question, and was published by them)

The Real Answer:

New Vegas

This thread.

In its day Morrowind was one of the greatest experiences I’d ever had with a video game. The world is incredible. (It might also have been my first true “open world” experience, so that’s a factor as well I’m sure.) Definitely needs some help, nowadays, in the graphics department. Mods for sure. But man, what an incredible game it was.

FNV was also great, but Morrowind hit me in a way that’s never been replicated.

I tried Morrowind a few years ago, having already played Oblivion and Skyrim, and it was just to graphically old for me.

I enjoyed Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Modding Morrowind is pretty fun all by itself.

I’ve already modded it with a conservative handful of mods to improve the graphics. The updated font is still too small for more than 1080p and the animations are pretty horrible, but not awful.

It’s the interface that’s a little clunky. Not “Ultima Underworld/System Shock” clunky, mind you. Just needing to get used to it, I think. Plus the unfamiliarity with the game and needing to figure out what’s a good build, so I don’t end up with a character that can’t complete the game (this was possible in Oblivion).