Which password manager do you use?

I recently subscribed to 1Password, and use the apps and Chrome extension. Just to check I’ve not missed anything from that article, everything’s fine as long as I don’t ever use the web interface…? Or is just the presence of a web interface itself an extra weakness that could be exploited?

Hmm, that implies that LastPass is equally vulnerable…

In the sense that you decrypt your password vault inside the browser, yes. Of course that isn’t actually a vulnerability so long as it’s done strictly client-side.

There is no perfect system. Still, you’re a lot safer using a password manager and 2FA than probably 95% of the populace on the Internet. And in this game, it’s all about not being the low-hanging fruit.

LastPass just doubled it’s Premium subscription price!

That’s just wrong on all counts.

Looks like it’s back to KeePass or Safari password manager.

Makes sense to me. Anyone paying for Lastpass today-- when almost all of its important features are completely free-- must not be price-sensitive.

I think it’s the wrong move, though. They should have made it subscription-only for everybody, restricted to something like 20 logins saved or 5 uses per day in the free trial, and left it at $12/year. Instead they’re pissing off their only revenue source and maybe people that were willing to leave it at $12/year even when they didn’t need any of the premium features might reconsider.

Yeah I didn’t use any of their premium stuff and I sub out of wanting to support as it is more convenient to use vs KeePass. But not $2/month inconvenience.

Heck, I use 1Password and I am planning on paying for the monthly pro thing even though I don’t need it. It’s one of my most used pieces of software that I couldn’t live without. Will gladly pay to support it and make sure they stick around.

Yeah, I will definitely be dropping the subscription now.

Wtf. I wanted to see what I was getting with premium now that they wanted to double the price but hell if I can tell. Any site that doesn’t tell you what the difference is between free and the paid version gets the middle finger. Even google just sent me to old blog posts.

Last time I checked it enabled fingerprint scanning on Windows that just crashes on my machine anyways.

Does free still get unlimited mobile & desktop syncing?

This is how I justify a LastPass premium subscription. Even after the price hike. Security is probably the most important thing to invest in, IMO, and I’d even pay triple what I’m paying, just to support what they’re doing, even if I don’t currently need all the extra features. Same could probably be said for their competitors’ products I bet.

I thought $12/year was stupid cheap for what you get. Seriously, anyone who is not using a password manager is really taking too many chances. I haven’t used other password managers, but things that I like about LastPass:

1. It’s pretty smart about recognizing password fields and automatically prompts me if I want to generate a new key
  2. For sites that change the URL for the log-in screen, the ability to find the old site credentials is pretty easy with multiple ways of searching. This doesn’t happen much, but it does happen.
  3. They give a pretty easy mechanism to generating any length / complexity of password you want to track.
  4. Having it on my phone and 2FA allows me to get my passwords anywhere so I can use them on other people’s PC’s when travelling or other times when I need them.
  5. It prods you gently if you have sites that use the same password to remind you to change them
  6. Shows history of generated passwords for those sites that fuck up your log in sequence so did it take your password or not? Try again and to create a login? but the first one actaully worked? Go into history & try that first generated password.
  7. I use the premium feature to share passwords with my wife. This is VERY useful.

Again, these may be common capabilities across other password managers, but for me, this is worth $24/year easily to provide piece of mind & ease of use. And I really don’t want to change in the future - so supporting them keeps them employed & improving it.

I am sure LastPass has it’s own advantages, but to raise the price when there are also free alternatives such as KeePass… even their own standard version is equally good for average user. So, that means they are trying to ask more money from their current customers. Maybe they are trying to weed out the cheapskates and continue to milk those who are “not price-sensitive” , as stusser put it.

Moo. :)

I still don’t get what I am paying for after they released the mobile sync features for free. That’s still true I think?

Me too, except I found it pretty obtuse. I finally trained her on how to use it but it was a long, difficult process that I only endured because it was more annoying to have to login for her all the time.
I am not against paying $24 a year, but I like to know what I am paying for. If you go to their site and click Go Premium you get a field asking for your email so you can start paying $2 a month for… what?

That’s about it, premium gives password sharing and fingerprint login. That’s $24/year.

…and be their cow. Mooo :)

Well, fingerprint ID is huge for me, as I put in a huge-ass, randomly-generated password for my LastPass account, seeing that it holds the keys to my kingdom. Having to type that password in on an iPhone every time I open LastPass is a ginormous pain in the ass.

I’m not positive touchID on iOS requires premium, actually. I know fingerprint login on desktop Lastpass browser addons does though.

Doesn’t require premium for Touch ID.

Thanks LogMeIn, for fucking up LastPass.