Which password manager do you use?

The problem I’ve run into with Keychain is that if you ever want to use that password on a non-iOS (or Mac, but you might be able to get it from Keychain access) device, you are screwed since you can’t reveal the passwords.Or even a Mac you don’t own.

At least with 1Password, I can make the text large enough to type it in if I have to.

Keychain access does have the ability to reveal passwords.

Yes. But at any rate, I have my iPhone or iPad with me pretty much always, but if I need to log in at work or somewhere not my Mac, It’s hard.

Also, it only works for Safari passwords, so if I have an app-specific password or a system login I’m screwed. My general recommendation is to feel free to have Safari Keychain store the password, but I also keep it in 1Password so I can have access almost everywhere, it syncs outside of Keychain. I have also had to reset my keychain a few times and that can kill stored passwords.

Keychain right now is just something I don’t trust to be 100000% error-proof.

Similarly, if you have your iPhone around - go to Settings - Safari and then tap on Password. Do a TouchID and it will reveal your password for the site you are at, which is exactly like how you will use LastPass anyway!

Question about LastPass and how it works on Android vs iOS: on my iPod touch I enter my master password pretty much once and from then on it’s integrated with Safari and easily auto-fills passwords as needed. On Android in my experience, it’s CONSTANTLY asking me to re-enter my master password and is a general PITA. What’s the point of having a password manager if you’re going to have to re-enter your master password all the time? Am I missing something obvious?

On Android, I unlock the Lastpass vault w/ a fingerprint, but prior to that, I used to unlock w/ a short PIN code. There might be a 30 day timer on needing to enter Master Password, but that’s it.

OK, I’ll look for that setting. Still don’t understand why it can’t integrate with Chrome as it does with Safari or as with Firefox in Windows. It drives me bananas.

I don’t use it much in iOS. On Android it does usually detect browser login in Chrome to fill in. It also runs resident in the swipe down tray so you can quickly tap to engage auto fill

Thanks for that last tip. It’s not that it doesn’t detect that a login exists for a site, but rather that when you tell it to auto-fill it asks for the master password nearly every time, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having a PM in the first place.

I think the re-lock timer on Android is set to 5 minutes by default, requiring the password or a fingerprint to unlock it again (as I understand it).

Yeah just increase the re-lock timer.

Not a great idea to set it to stay unlocked like that. If someone gets your phone unlocked, they get your password vault and own you. I would be very uncomfortable setting the timer over an hour.

On Android it can also run as an accessibility service to fill in passwords in any application, whereas it is completely siloed in iOS and I have to constantly copy-paste instead. I didn’t even realize it integrated with Safari because I prefer Chrome on all platforms, and it definitely isn’t allowed to integrate with Chrome on iOS.

It’s not exactly integrated. LastPass is access via Safari Extension, clicking on the up “arrow in a box” which then open a drawer where you tap on LastPass, Touch ID and tap the site. The username/password is automatically filled into the webpage in Safari.

Is a Lastpass premium account worth it? My plan is up for renewal and I know the service is available free and I generally like it and am happy, but should I continue to pay for it, or move to a freebie account?

I’m not even sure what benefit I get with the paid subscription, although I know I’ve Googled and read the page in the past at least once or twice.

Personally I can’t imagine that being worth money to most people.

Yeah, I’ll have to make this decision in about a month and I’m really unsure about bothering to pay double the price for less now that everything I use regularly is in the free account. I still think it was a weird decision on their part to do this when I was happily paying the original Premium price.

I’d probably have been willing to pay the new price if they hadn’t simultaneously moved all the stuff I was paying for into the free version. After all, $2/mo isn’t really meaningfully more than $1/mo. But doing both those things pretty much guaranteed a big downtick in subscribers. I don’t get it. (Though personally I am apparently paid up into 2019, not quite sure how that happened but they confirmed it.)

I no longer use LastPass Premium. The only feature that seems worth paying for is the sharing with multiple people, and I don’t need that. The free account is fine.

Yeah, not worth it. If they hadn’t simultaneously doubled their price I’d probably have just kept paying, but as is, screw 'em.

Does basic have multifactor? Because that alone is worth it. LastPass is the keeper of all the keys to your kingdom. Its security has to be paramount.