Which should I get first - 360 or PS3?

I am at a junction in the path! I made a list of games that look interesting for both platforms and I was hoping you folks could help flesh it out with more recommendations, maybe tip the scales. I have a decent PC, so bear that in mind for certain multiplats. Also, most of my e-buddies are xblocks so for multiplayer games that’s another consideration (tho I don’t often play multiplayer games). Thankyou for your cooperation!

360:

Dead Rising 2 (for man-antler multiplayer this seems to be the best bet)
Bayonetta (the PS3 port is supposed to be pretty awful)
Miner Dig Deep
Spelunky
Mushimushmushimushi Futanari (sp)
Ikaruga
Banjo Nuts and Bolts (?)
Pac Man Championship Edition (? I might go for the PSP version because it looks like a good portable game)

PS3:

Demon’s Souls
3D Dot Heroes
The Last Guardian
Little Big Planet (?)
Some of the Pixeljunk games look pretty sweet
Nobi Nobi Boy (?)

Apologies if this is a done-to-death topic.

If you bust your ass you can get a 360 for $100 at Walmart this weekend (factoring in the $100 gift card). That’s an obnoxiously good deal.

Can’t know which would be better to drill holes in, though.

If you’re into shooters and/or multiplayer, the 360 is the better choice IMO. However, the PS3 has some good exclusives like Uncharted and God of War so if that’s more your thing then maybe go that way.

The 360 is hands down the best multiplayer console though, IMO. So if that factors into your decision at all (or you feel it might in the future), go 360.

Pretty much what Warren said. I’d add The Last Guardian to his list of great PS3 exclusives, not to mention Demon’s Souls, which is far and away my game of the year, so far. But the 360 is definitely a much better console for multiplayer, and has some pretty great exclusives of its own. It also has a lot more games in its online store.

Woah, fast replies!

They don’t have Wal Marts in my country. Also, it is 3:21 AM here! Also also, I can’t afford either right away - somebody tried to steal my scooter a few weeks ago and the cost of repairing the ignition was preposterous.

WarrenM / Ben:

ltr

I am not a real big multiplayer guy. I have a PC for shooters, though I’m pretty picky about that genre because it’s real competitive and not many hold up as being great games even a year later. Looking forward to AvP3 tho! God of War is the worst game I have ever played, so I don’t care about 3. Uncharted looks wholly unremarkable in every way. I even think the graphics look pretty bad. Maybe I’ll change my mind, I dunno.

Also, if you have a netflix subscription, you can use the 360 to Watch Instantly on your TV. My wife and I use that feature more than we play games on the 360. But on a pure gaming scale, I would still rank the 360 higher. Your list is throwing me though. You don’t really have any of the currently great 360 games on it (e.g. Crackdown), so our tastes may be very different.

BTW, the PS3 is also a nice system, so I’m not trying to slag it. I think everyone should own both at the earliest convenience.

FWIW, I believe the PS3 is getting the NetFlix thing as well so that’s a wash.

If his country doesn’t have Wal-Mart, it probably doesn’t have Netflix, either.

Since you’re not in the US apparently, Netflix probably isn’t going to work. The 360’s strengths of shooters and multiplayer are eclipsed by the PC you already own. Go for the PS3 and you’ll have Bluray as a bonus.

If you don’t care about shooters or online multiplayer, then the PS3 becomes a much more competitive option, especially now that the new, cheaper Slim is in stores. I guess it really comes down to which exclusives are more appealing for you, at that point. The PS3 has good media center capabilities, too, though not the built in Netflix player that the 360 has, if that matters to you. Like Robert, I do use the 360 to watch Netflix stuff quite often.

If TDX’s country doesn’t have Wal-Mart, it’s highly improbably that it has NetFlix access.

We don’t even have NetFlix access in Canada, and we’ve got Wal-Marts aplenty.

The PS3 actually will support Netflix streaming later in the month.

And TVersity is just splendid with your PS3 as well…

(Actually works with both well I understand, so this doesn’t help you! =( )

It’s always fun when we get one of these threads a week. Anyways, my standard refrain: if you are more interested in just games, games, games, get a 360. You won’t regret it.

If you really want a multimedia machine that also play games (but not quite as many, and not quite as many fancy exclusives), get yourself a Playstation 3.

Or, they are both relatively cheap now if you find deals, buy both?

He wants to get both, he needs help on what to get first.

Go 360. Bigger game catalog, and just as many crazy games as a Ps3. Just, play what you like, you’ll find any genre on either console, but 360 is cheaper.

Also considering currently multiplatform titles are mostly slightly better on the 360, I 'd get that first, since the ps3 is generally an exclusives only machine for most people I know with both

I only have a 360 and did not regret lacking a ps3 until demons souls came out. I will buy one sometime next year for that game, play it to death, and drop it in a closet until something else pops out. Nothing else interests me so far on it, and I’m not buying a new receiver yet so I dont want to leave it hooked up to my sole optical port. (And I won’t play games in 2 channel stereo)

FYI, Uncharted 2 is worth buying a PS3 for. It’s that good.

What? Please explain further.

A true Qt3 classic:

No the WalMart deal, I know all about TRDX insanity.