Which should I get first - 360 or PS3?

Too slow.

It’ll be at 8am Saturday morning. Each store will have at least 10 arcade units. The arcade will cost $200, but come with a $100 gift card. Not much else to tell.

Are they like hidden or something? I didn’t see anything for it on the Wal-Mart site. I must have missed this in the bargain thread, a 360 for 100 bucks sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

360 Elite: $300
Better controller
Better game selection, both in total number of games and affordable used/discounted titles
If you want WiFi, add $80-$100 for the (overengineered) first-party dongle
If you want to play online, add $50 per year
If you want peace of mind, add $60 for an extended warranty (remember, the 3-year is RROD only)
If you want rechargeable battery packs for your wireless controllers, add $15 per pack and I recommend $30 for the quick-charger (the play-n-charge cable acted wonky for me)
If you want DLC, you have to buy MS points in specified blocks, some of which will undoubtedly rest in your account as a free loan to MS
If you want hi-def movie playback, you’re SOL (unless Netflix can deliver an HD stream, which is still not particularly sharp)

PS3: $300
WiFi included
Hi-def movie playback included
Free online play
Wireless controllers have built-in rechargeable batteries
DLC can be paid for with actual money at the time of purchase

(unless Netflix can deliver an HD stream, which is still not particularly sharp)

Actually, we streamed a high def movie the other night and it looked quite good.

Yeah, the Netflix HD streams look very good. Unfortunately, the catalogue is very limited. :(

I have incontrovertible evidence that the 360 is easier to drill holes into. (I’d explain to you how I know this, but I’m afraid it’s a secret.) So Rex, I believe your choice is clear.

The PS3 controller may be easier to use with claws, however, being smaller and lighter even now that they have rumble.

While the PS3 does have the pro of hi-def movies, be aware of the con that (unless packages have changed since I saw last) you’ll have to get a component or HDMI cable separately in order to actually take advantage of that, due to the bizarre choice to just have composite video cable packed in.

Uh, what country are you in?

This is the same with all current 360 options. You’re going to want to buy an HDMI or component cable if you want HD either way.

I double dog dare you to Google image search Futanari with safe search off.

Don’t do it at work, though!

I’m actually vaguely curious to know if that’s a real title. Not that curious, mind you.

Or just buy a third party wireless bridge adapter for like $25.

If you want peace of mind, add $60 for an extended warranty (remember, the 3-year is RROD only)

Bad deal, IMO. Given new Xboxes are much more reliable, Microsoft is very lenient with the warranty terms if pushed and even if the worst comes to pass and you need to replace the 360 out of pocket, the new cost of a replacement Xbox is like $150 (standard Arcade price if you catch a decent sale, and the Arcade is a perfectly good replacement for a dead Elite unless you NEED the box to be Black) and continually falling. In the face of all that, $60 is too high a price for insurance on the device, IMO.

If you want rechargeable battery packs for your wireless controllers, add $15 per pack and I recommend $30 for the quick-charger (the play-n-charge cable acted wonky for me)

I always see people pooh-poohing the play-n-charge cables but I and my friends all have had them for years and much prefer to them to the quick charger, but YMMV. One other often overlooked fact is that you can use standard rechargable AA batteries in your 360 controllers if you want, so if you already have a bunch of Eneloops or something laying around you can repurpose those for the 360 controllers.

If you want hi-def movie playback, you’re SOL (unless Netflix can deliver an HD stream, which is still not particularly sharp)

The 360 is perfectly capable of playing high def movies off of local DVD-Rs, USB connected devices or network streamed from a PC. The internal codec support is somewhat limited, but if you have high def content in WMV, DiVX, MP4, etc, the 360 will play it just fine. Of course, none of this is as consumer friendly as Bluray disc so the point still has some merit.

Also you can buy/rent non-Netflix HD movies off Xbox Live Marketplace or I guess Zune Marketplace is the new name. They aren’t Bluray quality but with a good network connection they are close enough for the vast majority of people who aren’t videophiles.

Anytime somebody says safe image search off you can pretty much expect it to be NSFW, though in this case it’s not really safe for the home either.

I did exactly that and found that it frequently dropped connection, including during Acrcade games that would revert to demo mode while being played if the XBL connection dropped (thanks to the aggressive DRM and the extreme unlikelihood that the console you originally bought your XBL content on would continue working). Buying the official dongle fixed it, but at this point, I’d probably recommend trying a powerline networking solution first.

Bad deal, IMO. Given new Xboxes are much more reliable, Microsoft is very lenient with the warranty terms if pushed and even if the worst comes to pass and you need to replace the 360 out of pocket, the new cost of a replacement Xbox is like $150 (standard Arcade price if you catch a decent sale, and the Arcade is a perfectly good replacement for a dead Elite unless you NEED the box to be Black) and continually falling. In the face of all that, $60 is too high a price for insurance on the device, IMO.

I agree it’s a bad deal, but I disagree that MS is lienient with warranty terms. They were perfectly willing to fix my fourth dead 360 in a row for money, but not for free. And I bought the extended warranty. No leniency for me.

I always see people pooh-poohing the play-n-charge cables but I and my friends all have had them for years and much prefer to them to the quick charger, but YMMV. One other often overlooked fact is that you can use standard rechargable AA batteries in your 360 controllers if you want, so if you already have a bunch of Eneloops or something laying around you can repurpose those for the 360 controllers.

The play-n-charge cables actually made my battery pack stop working, and it would only work again after I’d used it with the charging base. Also, kids tend to yank on controller cords, including play-n-charge cables. Given that a tipover can kill a game disk in a 360, it’s a risk I’d rather not take. Regarding rechargable AAs, the Duracells I have in my house work in a pinch, but they are slightly thicker than standard AAs and can be very difficult to extract from the compartment.

The 360 is perfectly capable of playing high def movies off of local DVD-Rs, USB connected devices or network streamed from a PC. The internal codec support is somewhat limited, but if you have high def content in WMV, DiVX, MP4, etc, the 360 will play it just fine. Of course, none of this is as consumer friendly as Bluray disc so the point still has some merit.

That’s pirate talk, mister. ; )

Also you can buy/rent non-Netflix HD movies off Xbox Live Marketplace or I guess Zune Marketplace is the new name. They aren’t Bluray quality but with a good network connection they are close enough for the vast majority of people who aren’t videophiles.

Never tried this, all-you-can-stream-or-mail Netflix makes it look like a terrible deal even if it’s viewable soon after purchase.