Which tablet to get?

So how exactly does that work? Can you actually play the game on your iPad then?

I am playing P.C. on my Acer Iconia. Same way…splash. Personally, it’s kind of like how I do not like portables. I love my PS3 on my 73" but have no desire for a PSP. I love my Ipad games but hate them on my touch. I love P.C. on the P.C. but just can’t enjoy it that much on the 10" Acer. It works ok, I just can’t stand a little screen when I have a bigger one.

This is the first thread i have seen with the word “tablet” in the title, so i will put this here:

Shipped or sold?

Yeah I dunno that kinda doesn’t sound right.

That’s shipped.

Got my Nook Color last night and hacked my first sd card ROM onto it. It’s not a bad little device, gotta love the price point, and it was pretty simple to flash this ROM onto it. It’s not Honeycomb, nor Cyanogen (it’s a modified Froyo), but it’s already pretty snappy.

In the end I didn’t end up getting anything. I was very impressed by the Transformer and its price point. I didn’t get a chance to play with the Galaxy Tab as its release seems to have been delayed in Canada. I like Android but their Marketplace still seems a bit sparse. I know the Appstore has like 100,000+ apps but I don’t need that-I only need about 80. Unfortunately from what I’ve read the Android Marketplace only has about 65 total. I figure that in the next year the tablet industry will be a lot more mature and some of these Android tablet makers will have their second iterations of their tablets out and Apple should have the iPad 3 which might actually have some decent improvements unlike the iPad 1.5.

So after the battery died on my wife’s Nook HD+, she says she doesn’t want to fix the old tablet, she wants a new tablet.

What to get?

It looks like the Nvidia Shield K1 is the best, but it’s way expensive. $260 from Amazon 3rd party seller. Even more from Nvidia themselves.

Looks like you can’t find a cheap Nexus tablet anymore, they stopped selling it on Google’s Nexus website a while ago.

Amazon Fire HD has a new 8 inch tablet coming out on Sept 21st. That was my best bet so far. Only $105. It’s not 1080p like the Nook HD+ was, and it’s not 8.9 inches, it’s only 8 inches. But still, she said she would be fine with an 8" tablet. The only thing I’m nervous about is whether the Kindle Store is as diverse as Google’s Play store. This will be my first Kindle device, so I’m not sure what is on it and what isn’t on it.

It’s not.

You used to be able to sideload the Play Store, etc., onto some devices. Not sure if that’s still feasible, however. Kindle OS is pretty divergent from Android. Worth googling, at least.

The Chrome Pixel C is extremely nice, but not super cheap at $500.

A possible consideration at this point may be a chromebook like the Asus Flip. It can now run android apps (although compatibility is not 100% yet). At $250 it’s a pretty solid deal, functioning well as a tablet and an ultralight.

I find it more useful for many tasks than my tablet, but it’s less useful as a one handed tablet device (even though it does flip the keyboard back and function as a tablet.

Wow, compared to those prices though, isn’t the Nvidia Shield K1 a better deal at the $260 price point?

The list price for the shield K1 is $199, and that’s what NV sells it for. Unless you’re in upstate new york (or as you call it, Canada)?

The K1 does seem like a good deal. Although it’s kind of different than the chromebook. The Chomebook is a more useful utility device, while the tablet is perhaps better for pure consumption.

I actually wanted to get a shield, but it was at the point where they had recalled the older one, and hadn’t released the new one yet.

$199 for the Nvidia doesn’t sound too bad. But I’m wondering if it’s needed. Mostly my wife used her tablet to:

• Watch recipe videos and look up recipes in the browser while she’s in the kitchen.
  • Watch YouTube music videos while she’s in bed, and also old Indian movies on YouTube.
  • Use a Quran app to listen to recitations while she cooks or cleaning.
  • Use the browser while she’s in bed to browse clothing and other online shopping.

So not exactly intense usage. The most intense I guess is YouTube videos. I think she enjoyed the 1080p screen, but I think she’ll be fine with the Kindle’s 800p. If it has the Quran app she likes and good video, she will be fine. I don’t think she’ll need the extra things and $95 that an Nvidia tablet will get her.

Certainly you could get away with the amazon product, but I wouldn’t consider buying anything other than the shield myself. It’s the only one without major compromise.

Actually I would buy an iPad for myself, but if I was getting an android tablet I would go for the nvidia shield.

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting the new oh so cheap 8" Fire tablet. When all it is is a media consumption devices, very few compromises matter. And that’s what it would be for me. I don’t really miss my now dead Nexus 7.

I don’t think the screen resolution will matter much at 8". The only question mark for me too is what I might be missing on in the market place. But considering what I use the tablet for, it’s hopefully a non issue.

If your wife does for it, is be interested in hearing what you 2 think about it.

Wendelius

Well Amazon has made their new tablet super cheap and enticing. I just hate, hate sideloading gmail and chrome on these things. And i really, really wanted at least 2GB of RAM at least. ugh.

Unless it’s possible to totally wipe a Fire and put some regular version of Android on it, I could never recommend them. Unless they have changed a ton in the past few years, which is possible, Amazon’s version of android is just ridiculously restrictive and hamstrung in an attempt to simplify things.

I got the Fire HD 8 yesterday. I was quite shocked to see that they don’t even have Youtube on their store. So I downloaded an app called “Youtube.com” which is basically a browser that goes to Youtube.com. It works, I guess. But it is somewhat shocking at the gaps in apps.

The instructions on how to sideload the Google playstore onto a Fire Tablet don’t seem very complicated though. It doesn’t even require rooting the device or anything. So I might try that this weekend. After that, they say you can use the Play Store to download whatever apps you want with no problems.