Which type of mouse grip do you use?

Cloth mousepads, ugh. Thin plastic FTW. I glue mine to the desk (with easily removable spray glue, I mean).

I used to agree with you, my last few mice were smooth, but having used the textured cloth on the steel series I’ve changed my tune.

I do really like the idea behind the reversible mouse pads Steel Series has - they have thin plastic on one side, cloth on the other, and you can flip them around as needed.

It’s not the size of the mousepad, buster. It’s… well, how you, uh, roll a mouse on it?

Let me think about this one a little more.

I think I am fingertip grip, but I do rest it against the very edge of my palm by the pinky finger. I am using a Logitech mouse at the moment. When I had the Razer, I don’t think i rested my palm at all.

The best thing about these vertical mice is switching up the RSI. I use one at work and then a normal mouse at home. (With a tip grip, I guess? Hard to tell sometimes. Actually sounds like what Nesrie does.)

As the proud owner of a gigantic goddamn Steel Series cloth mousepad (for free! When I RMAed my broken Sensei Raw mouse, the store credit they gave me was so much more than the new, discounted cost of the mouse that I could afford to add a mousepad, too!), I wholeheartedly agree. The 15+ years I used my ancient old plastic-lined mousepad acquired from some ancient anime magazine were fine, sure, but this thing is amazing!

That’s not a mousemat…this is a mousemat!

I am somewhere between tip and palm. I do fine control with my fingertips, but my mid-palm rests lightly on the rear of the mouse. Getting back into some online FPS, I have drastically reduced my in-game sensitivity such that my 360 is in the 40cm vicinity, so I have had to train myself to use my whole forearm for mouse movement, which in turn necessitated a sizable mat to accomodate. I usually use a Kensington Slimblade trackball for desktop work, however. I sing the praises of those things every chance I get.

I’m using an Anker as well. I love the vertical mice, my hand is much much happier since I switched over.

After years of using an Evoluent Vertical mouse at work, I could not get on with the Anker Ergonomic mouse (whoa, shit, I just realised: Anker. I love Anker’s stuff). I didn’t like the way the mouse curves over requiring your thumb to pull up to click and to awkwardly dangle down to rest, instead of resting on the raised curve like the Vertical mouse. This is a decent image:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7ZZxRCEl6yc/VbK1Ax-aVMI/AAAAAAABuT8/9IMU0r64dxA/w800-h800/IMG_20150724_145617.jpg

I also thought the buttons felt too firm and had a mushy click. It’s obviously a personal thing because there’s a lot of love for the Anker but the Vertical mouse was amazing for me. I also preferred all its extra buttons – very handy if you’re a power user.

That’s exactly what I used to do. Did wonders. My work cheaped out on the Anker instead of the Evoluent mouse so it was returned and now I’m left with a crappy, well, this thing.

It seems the RSI I used to suffer from was a result of the Apple ‘Mighty Mouse’ I used at my previous work place. That thing was a god damned abomination. The audacity of calling it ‘Mighty’ angers me to this day. Oh, heh:

http://mezzoblue.com/i/articles/24aug06-mightymouse.gif

Wow, I have been having wrist issues tied to arm issues for the past year, and unable to find a proper solution. I am going to give one of those vertical Anker mouses a try!

If that doesn’t work, check out the Evoluent Vertical mouse if you can. I think trying the Anker first is a good idea as it’s a damn sight cheaper!

Track balls folks. They are the mouse of the future, in 1993.

Seriously though, while I eventually moved to a regular mouse for gaming (I used to use a trackball back in my mechwarrior days with great success though), a trackball can reduce a lot of RSI stuff, since you don’t need to move your hand around. Also doesn’t take much space.

LIKE!

For all of Apple’s supposed design prowess, it’s truly remarkable how consistently they’ve made the worst mice in the world over the years.

I always loved this one:

Dead easy to keep straight. /s

That was Apple in 1998.

Microsoft, in 1996:

https://blog.codinghorror.com/meet-the-inventor-of-the-mouse-wheel/

I had to use those hockey puck mice for work. It was horrible.

At some point, the whole mouse fiasco was purely a holy war that Steve Jobs was waging, refusing to acknowledge that Apple’s mouse paradigm was objectively worse.

To this day, apple still refuses to give their mice two buttons, even after they acknowledged the reality that a single button simply is not sufficient… We have a mac here at work that we use for deployment and testing, and the first thing everyone says when they need to work on it is “God damn this fucking mouse.” We really should just attach a normal mouse to it.

Oh, bonus fail on the current mouse:
It is rechargable and wireless. Where is the plug to connect the USB cable to charge it? ON THE BOTTOM OF THE MOUSE, so you can’t use it while charging it.

WHO DOES THAT?

Oh my Jesus.

I’ll take a picture of it later. It’s amazing.