Which type of mouse grip do you use?

Apple mice have, and have had for a long time, two buttons. They’re not visually distinguished on the surface, and the secondary click isn’t enabled in macOS by default, so it’s not obvious. The first thing I always do on a fresh macOS install is go to Preferences and enable that (and turn off “Natural” scrolling). The second thing I do is copy over my .vimrc file.

I got nothin’ on the location of the charging port.

Yep that’s the worst one I can recall. Not only hard to keep track of direction as @geggis pointed out, but super uncomfortable. As clear an example of choosing the look of a design over usability that I can remember having to work with.

Yeah, and that’s crackers too.

What’s natural scrolling again?

Yes, Apple mice have always been designed for marketing photos first and usability like 97th.

Which is funny, because their modern trackpads are amazing.

Despite all Apple’s design prowess they are indeed legendarily terrible at mice and only slightly less terrible at keyboards.

Behold.

Yeah guy, that’s a good place to put the plug for the charge cable. Well done.

Jony Ive strikes again,

I’m firmly in the palm grip group except when gaming ramps up and I move towards the fingertip grip, mostly because I’m not paying attention and my hand naturally moves into that position when doing rapid mouse moving and clicking. The mice I’ve been using for years are all fairly well designed ergonomically and tend to fit my hand perfectly, even if they aren’t the ‘best’ mice for particular tasks. I currently have a couple Logitech Performance MX mice; I’ve never used any of the specialized gaming mice and I’ve used the MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard since 2005 (both at home and work). Such a difference in strain on my arm-wrist-hand if I have to use anything non-ergonomic for any length of time.

It is amazing to me how “grip type” influences your mouse choices.

I recently tried the Corsair Glaive and it was a complete disaster, not based on ergonomics or style or whatever but primarily based on my grip type (claw). I had to return it.

I’m trying the Logitech G Pro next. I previously had the Logitech G303 which is a great claw grip mouse but I like to switch things out every year or so. Also, the classic Logitech G9 and G9X are basically the archetypal claw grip mice, if you know those… and much beloved in my household… 😢

Anyways TL;DR learn your preferred grip type because it will heavily determine what you “like” in a mouse…

I remember what a revelation the first MS ergonomic mouse was, circa 1995

3 button Logitech Mouseman was my first love

Oh yeah that was a great one. This guy converted an old Mouseman to optical!

I also had the mouseman wheel

I am, admittedly, a bit of a fanboy of Logitech mice. They’ve always been my favorite.

Me too. Though I also give a biiiiiiig thumbs up (#alphapig) to Roccat mice; they fit my hand real nice.

I mostly love my current MX Master; I just wish it had mousewheel-tilt for hscroll. Don’t care much for the thumbwheel for hscroll. The weird thumb button gesture thingie is pretty cool though - I use it for media controls and it’s great.

I used to love the G9/G9X mice. I swapped out to a razor deathadder on the advice of many people, and it took a LONG time (weeks) to become accustomed to, to the point that I had the same speed/accuracy. I do like feel of the deathadder now that I’m used to it, but do those two mice use very different grips? I think I was a claw guy, and am now closer to a fingertip.

For years, I was a trackball guy. I can’t remember why I ever switched (presumably someone told me I couldn’t FPS with it or something, at a time when I wanted to play as competitively as possible.) Those were sure fun.

Just got it and definitely a fan so far. Claw grip heaven. Super light. Very high quality wheel (way better than the G303 in this regard), high end sensor, excellent overall construction quality befitting Logitech. Apparently it is the sequel to the G303 which is now discontinued. The G302 has a lower end sensor.

That’s probably the best thumb trackball ever. I still have one to travel with.

The biggest issue with trackballs for gaming is that no one bothered to make a real high precision one since there’s no market for gaming trackballs.

I’ve got one of those trackballs on my desk right now! I don’t use it every day, but it’s great for travel or just when my fingers need a break to stave off RSI.

I had a friend in the college dorms who played Doom with one of those logitech trackballs… he ended up smashing it in rage