Whiskey Friday™

Thanks, bud. Much appreciated.

NPR’s All Things Considered reports on the Maker’s Mark dilution fiasco.

In Kentucky, there are now more barrels of bourbon than there are people. So even if an old standby like Maker’s Mark is hard to find, there’ll always be something to drink.

Maybe, but with the popularity boom and a minimum of 4 years of aging, those barrels might not represent that much booze ready to ship, as it were.

As someone who remembers Jack Daniels doing the same thing, albeit without fanfare, this kind of blatant cheapness just bothers me. There wasn’t a dearth of Jack and neither is there a lack of Maker’s today. As someone said earlier, there isn’t a liquor store that I’ve been to that ever said, “Maker’s? We’re out of that today. Waiting on a shipment.” Even places that don’t usually carry high end bourbon have that if nothing else. And it’s hard for me to believe that their shipments outpaced their production. Although, I’ll admit to a possibility. If proven wrong, I will surely apologize.

Holy hell this is good whiskey. I picked up a bottle the other night and I’m loving it. It’s sweeter than what I expected, especially with that 95% rye mashbill.

It doesn’t kick you in the teeth like rittenhouse or wild turkey. It’s a much more pleasant rye taken neat. My local liquor store only carried liters, which I got for 42 dollars. Not terrible. Thanks Rich!

Can you compare it to Templeton?

In my first round of bourbon auditions ,to replace Makers in light of them selling out, I bought some Wild Turkey 81, Buffalo Trace and Elijah 12. I think I may have had the Buffalo Trace before, but definitely not the other two.

Tonight I had the E12. It was good. I liked it a lot. However, I still give Makers the nod. If only on price point. I can get a 1.75 of Makers for $41 before tax. The 750 of E12 set me back $29. Do they make 1.75s of E12?

Makers Mark has just said they are reversing their decision on watering down their bourbon.

From their Facebook page

You spoke. We listened.

Dear Friends,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we’ll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr
Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus
[email protected] [email protected]

I don’t know where you guys are buying your liquor, but my local shop has Elijah Craig 12 year for under $20

I want to say I paid $22 for my last bottle of Elijah 12. Maybe upwards of $25. Not sure what the retail price is, but $29 does seem a tad high.

Around here it’s about $29 also, and still easily the best in the price range (for me, obviously).

I’m a hipster.

The price of “sin” items is wildly variable state-to-state. I’ll pay more than 95% of you for bourbon despite living within fifty miles of all the distilleries, because Kentucky likes to pass taxes on sinful things.

I wonder if any bottles of Maker’s with the lowered content made it out the door? It would be a collector’s item.

Damn, that was my first thought. I went from wouldn’t touch it with a long stick to I want a bottle of that now.

Woo! Guess I wont have to abandon Maker’s after all!

I did sample the Wild Turkey 81 and the Buffalo Trace. I didnt like the WT81 at all. It didnt taste much like bourbon to me, almost like a scotch-bourbon hybrid. The Buffalo Trace was much better but I still prefer Maker’s.

The funny thing is that I decided that Maker’s was too sweet for me before they went through their silly thing. I wasn’t going to do Maker’s anymore. I prefer Bulleit Bourbon and Rye to Maker’s these days. I’m no longer a sweet Bourbon person. So It was sort of like, I’m not drinking what you make because I’m interested in other flavors now.

Templeton was one of the ones that I was tasting. It’s like you grow up. And you grow into better sips?

I’ve been trying Booker’s a bit more. I don’t know if I’m getting sick or what, but damn that stuff is strong and spicy, and it burns burns burns. I even added water – something I never do.

I love the flavor, though, and the finish. So savory.

A good way to do a strong drink like that is to have a small pitcher or vessel with iced water next to it.

At first you do not add the water to your glass. But you have a small glass that has cold water in it as a chaser. You sip from the pony glass. And you feel and taste the heat. Then you take a small sip of icewater.

Let it roll down your tongue and meet the heat in your throat.

Then you will have the taste of the strength of the liquor.

After that you can play with the strength of the drink. And it will play with you as well. But you are in charge. Never let the drink be in charge. YOU are in charge!

Sadly no, have’t tried templeton yet.

Poor Fire, she’s probably lived a life of moderation and forethought. If only she’d smoked and drank her youth away her palate would be tuned up (dulled down) for the hot stuff!