Whiskey Friday™

Anyone else properly counting down the days until St. Nick with this:

I like both Bulleit and Makers/46. For a change, give Elijah Craig a try. It’s a bit spicier and more complex to my palate.

I’ve seen that one as well. Another to add to my tasting list. Thanks!

If you’ve got room on the list, pikesville rye is one of the better ryes I’ve had, outside of the really good stuff like pappy van winkle (which I had once, and I understand why you can’t find it!) Really tasty stuff that was on Jim Murray’s 2016 Whiskey bible, and it’s reasonably priced at around $50-55

James E. Pepper Straight Rye Whiskey Old Style is my go to for a reasonable priced rye. It’s different than most rye though.

Not a big fan of Templeton. It was just felt overpriced with a typical, average rye taste. Not bad mind you, just… average.

I like my whistle pig but don’t think it was worth the money.

The search for the best rye continues.

God damn I wish. Next year maybe!

Thought the folks here would be interested in this:

An Absurdly Complete Guide to Understanding Whiskey

Is $35 a decent price for their 1776 blend? Seems like that’s what ABC stores in NC are likely to carry at all. On the lookout for a good, sub-$40 rye whiskey (Really, sub $30 is fine; it’s mostly going into mixed drinks, albeit often as a primary flavor) as opposed to being drunk straight for complexity/etc.

Can you get Bulleit rye? That’s my house go to for mixed drinks. As an added bonus, it’s not bad straight either. Or you can go for rittenhouse rye, which is even less expensive and quite good in mixed drinks.

I think I pay a few dollars more than that.

If you want a cheap mixed drink rye then rhittenhouse is the recommended go to. I like it but the price is almost as much as James E. Pepper in my area, which as I understand it is not typical.

Another vote for Bulliet rye. I mostly drink it straight.

Looks like that’s $25 retail here.

Closer to $36 in this area, apparently. Looks like Rittenhouse might be the winner tonight unless it’s not available. I’m fiddling with my Manhattan technique and runnin’ low on whiskey!

Quick story. My go to drink at any Chinese restaurant is a Manhattan. Last place I went to, we’re waiting to be seated, so I hit the bar and order a Manhattan. Bartender says, “I don’t have rye or bitters. Your the second person I had to disappoint.” And sure enough the guy next to me raises his glass in a toast. How do you have a bar and no rye or bitters? I’d love to make you that stir-fry, but we have no woks or fire.

We like that too, always straight, but our favorite rye is easily Templetons.

I’ve never thought about rye in a mixed drink (ginger ale for me).

Any of you got any suggestions for a smoky whiskey that tastes good and is $30 or less? I normally like the stuff from the Isle of Islay, such as Laphroaig, but I’m looking for something cheaper. Preferably I would drink it while smoking a cigar.

Have you never had a Manhattan laddybuck? If not you really should try it. :)

Is that something you get in Thailand?

I have several suggestions, in order of preference:

Isle of Jura is in the $30-$40-ish range. Excellent, lightly smoky - similar in some ways to Talisker. Jura Superstition is smokier, but slightly (about $10) more expensive, IIRC.

Also In the $30 - $40 range, Bruichladdich Rocks (if you can find it) is a good value. There’s a smokier bottling, called Rockside Farms, but it’s also more expensive. Both are young, and so a little hot on the tongue.

Lastly, “McLelland’s Single Malt” is a semi-fake downmarket label made by Bowmore. Their Highland and Lowland malts are, to be honest, pretty bad, but their Islay bottling is actually, at the end of the day, Pretty Much Bowmore™. So it’s about as inexpensive of a good smoky islay you’ll find.

Is it “objectively good”, compared to (say) Jura or Bruichladdich? No. But, it’s probably under $30. So get the McLelland’s if you need the cheapest-smokiest-you-can-find, and try the Jura (or better Jura Superstition) if you are willing to spend a little more.

Just returning to say thanks for the recommendations, @Misguided. Beyond the tastings I had in Asheville I also picked up some Maker’s Mark and more Bulleit. I know those are on the opposite end of the spectrum, but I’m still learning and want to experience the spectrum against each other (high rye vs wheat.) Also a head nod to the bartender who gave me both a great rundown on the taste variance, as well as pointed me to the /r/bourbon subreddit for additional recommendations.

Cool. I’m by no means a whiskey expert, but if I’m going to have something, I do like bourbon or scotch (e.g. balvenie double wood or Caribbean cask, glenmorangie with sherry or port finish) with a bit of sweetness.

Still trying to find a replacement for Slieve Foy. Sadface