Whiskey Friday™

A new distillery opened not far from me, and my wife and I finally made it out the other night. It’s your standard tiny craft distilling operation, a little 1200-ish square-foot building with a store in one half, and a single still and barrel loft in the other. I’m sipping their toasted applewood bourbon: it’s their regular bourbon, except they dry applewood twigs and stick 'em in the barrel. Apple is the main note, which is a new whiskey flavor for me, but I like it.

They also make something called ‘Devil Juice’, which is the darkest, most complicated whiskey I’ve ever tasted. (I thought it was some sort of moonshine-with-dark-berry at first.) I’m on the waiting list for a bottle.

Really interested to hear more from the place, @Fishbreath. What’s the name of it?

McLaughlin Distillery. The owner is big on the craft of the thing—he makes his own barrels in a few sizes between five and thirty gallons, and rather than filling them with water first to get them to swell and seal themselves, he fills them with whiskey and takes the leakage losses until they seal so as not to lose any of the barrel flavors. I think he does online sales and out-of-state shipping, but obviously, that hasn’t come up for me.

It’s craft distillery prices—$50+ per bottle—but I think all the whiskeys are worth it.

There are a few things that I’ll pay premium prices for, good whiskey is certainly one of them.

Like the color on the bourbon, would love to know the tasting notes and to hear more about the Devil’s Juice.

I expect to be visiting the distillery again soon with a friend or two. I’ll take my notebook and come back with more detailed notes, although I can’t promise too coherent a description of the Devil’s Juice. My wife and I have been trying to come up with something based on our first visit, and the best we can do so far is, ‘it’s tastes like a craft store at Christmas smells’, and ‘it’s like a whiskey kaleidoscope’. It’s complicated enough that it’s hard to get a grip on.

Still not the best whiskey I’ve ever had, though. That’s the Laphroaig 25. Close your eyes and sniff, and suddenly, you’re in a heather field in Scotland.

Do they ship out of state?

I didn’t think to ask when I visited, but I think I remember seeing some non-local area codes on the Devil’s Juice waiting list. I’ll put the question to them next time I’m there, or you could give the contact form a whirl.

I made it back to my local distiller of choice this evening, and had the chance to put together some tasting notes on a few more things. My bottle of Devil’s Juice was also waiting.

Other whiskey provided for color comparison

It’s a little less oil-colored in front of a light, fading instead to a deep amber.

Tasting notes (and please bear in mind that I’m not very good at this):

• On the nose, it has a strong note of hickory smoke. I get some molasses out of it too.
  • On the palate: starts with strong hickory smoke (again). A little later, I’m getting apple and cinnamon, and a honey warmth and a note of maybe clover (?) toward the end. Just before I swallow, it reminds me a little of the Laphroaig 25 I had once. After that, there’s a smoky aftertaste and the warmth you get out of cask strength whiskeys.

The distiller’s baseline bourbon is the 3799. Quality sipping bourbon, notes of honey. I had another taste of the Devil’s Juice after I tasted it, so I can’t quite call it to mind anymore, and I forgot to bring my notebook in besides. He also has a baby barrel version, aged in little miniature barrels (even by his standards; I think 5 and 10 are his most common barrel sizes), which I didn’t try.

Next up is his Grandma’s Rocking Chair whiskey, which, as the name suggests, is aged in a 5-gallon barrel sitting in an actual rocking chair with a little actuator rocking it. He says the rocking both speeds the aging and does a little aeration, yielding a very oaky flavor. He does a maple-flavored version where he cuts it with maple syrup he makes at his cabin rather than water. It’s a little unusual, and a little sweet for my tastes, but not overwhelmingly sweet in the slightest.

Lastly, there’s the toasted applewood whiskey in the picture, which I described briefly before, but will endeavor to do at greater length here. It’s similar to the rocking chair whiskey, with an oaky nose and taste. I hesitate to call it ‘light’, but I feel like it would be a good entry into the whiskey world for someone new to it. Apple is the main note, but since it’s from the toasted wood rather than the fruit, it isn’t sweet. (It’s a little hard to describe. It isn’t tart either, it’s just ‘apple’ without ‘sweet’.)

He also has a moonshine (once distilled) and a white whiskey (the moonshine distilled again), along with a vodka and a bunch of flavored moonshines, none of which are really up my alley. A friend of mine says the vodka is very good, flavorless in the way vodka ought to be.

Unfortunately, no. If you (or anyone here) are interested in a bottle, though, he says I can act as an intermediary. I’ll happily do so at cost—price of the bottle plus the most efficient shipping cost between UPS and FedEx. (I have a vested interest in this guy remaining in business.) If that sounds interesting to you, shoot me a message and we can work out the details.

Send me a PM with the total cost, if you will.

How many requests are you taking? 'cause I wouldn’t mind getting a bottle of Devil’s Juice myself at some point.

Haven’t contributed much but have been coming back to buy some good bourbons and whiskeys. Hopefully next week I’ll have a hold of something pretty special.

— Alan

I’m full up on the amount of alcohol I’m comfortable sending across state lines for this week, and I’m out of town until the end of March, but remind me then and I’ll see what I can do.

Yesterday was a sad day. My wife’s Facebook memory was from four years ago and we were enjoying some Slieve Foy for St Patrick’s day. Still haven’t found a replacement for it.

Oh yeah I totally get it, I actually wasn’t expecting anything now, but for later on. April is fine, I’m not in a hurry. But I’m definitely interested if you have any capability later on.

— Alan

So looking forward to this. Many thanks again, dude. You rock.

So good news and bad news. A lovely bouncing baby bottle of Devil’s Juice has arrived at my doorstep. The bad news, I am sick as a dog. Sneezing, fever, stuffed up. No sense of taste at all. It would be a waste of good spirits to drink this yet. So I wait, and sneeze.

Whisky and bourbon fan from the UK here. In case anyone happens by Islay anytime soon (the festival is coming up in May http://www.islayfestival.com/) do check out the Port Askaig 100 proof. It’s very subtle on the nose, with just a hint of vanilla and not overly smoky, but when you take a sip it pretty much explodes on the tongue - an almost effervescent hit of peat and citrus.

The Port Askaig is a bottling of what many think is a Caol Ila, and this offering has shot into a very respectable second favourite place behind the Aberlour Abunadh (which is like drinking 60% liquified sherry-cask-conditioned Maraschino cherries).

So I picked up this guy the other day:

Have not tried it yet. It’s the oldest liquor I’ve ever owned, from Carsebridge, a distillery that went out of business a year after this guy was put into casks. Only one of 233 bottles was made from the cask. I love K&L and how they go out of their way to find some great finds–not just unusual blends but lots of single barrel stuff that make up some more famous expressions… and don’t try to rip you off. This puppy cost $99.

No I haven’t tried it yet.

— Alan

I’d be afraid that I’d love it, then wouldn’t be able to ever get it again.

Eh sorry, mean to say “this is only one of 233 bottles made from this cask”. But yeah I kinda have that fear too. If I made a bit more, I’d always buy two of each and drink one, perhaps save the other for value, but I dunno… I’m so curious about it that I’ll probably wind up opening it soon though. That also seems to be the folly for buying older, aged liquors in general… they’re meant to be enjoyed, but is it too rare for that?

One of their new offerings today is an exclusive 1990 Bunnahabhain 25 Year Old Single Barrel Cask Strength Single Malt for $160.

— Alan