Whither Dragon Age?

Of all the notable upcoming games which were AWOL from E3 this year, Dragon Age is the one I am most disappointed we didn’t get to see. In fact, Bioware’s been pretty coy in general about DA since they announced it at E3 two years ago. A cursory search reveals little new information about DA, other than it ain’t dead yet. Still, it seems strange they would show a PC port of a year-old Xbox action-RPG, yet keep their latest PC RPG under wraps.

Anyway, anybody got some good dope on Dragon Age? And anyone else annoyed Mass Effect is gettin’ more love these days than DA?

This month’s CGW has an interview with the good doctors wherein they say that Dragon Age is very important to them and is on the way. But for now, it’s all about Mass Effect.

Troy

I seem to recall Desslock or someone mentioning something about its status a month or so ago.

I too remain interested in the game.

My only info is that friends who are working on it are still working on it.

That being said, Mass Effect will probably be better anyway. Casey Hudson (el producer) Knows Shit™.

“on the way”, huh? Well, does that mean next year? 2008? That vaguery is just as disappointing as the no-show.

<insert gratuitous rant about PC vs console RPGs here>

Considering it’s been in development for two-plus years by now, I would hope it’d be done by the end of this year or sometime next.

By a quirk of game development disynergy the longer a game has been in development, the further away its release date becomes. After a certain point (usually 4 years), the release date becomes so far out of reach that the game must be cancelled.

I think it’s a chaos math thing, but I was a liberal arts major, so I can’t cypher it.

We announced Dragon Age far earlier in development than any other PC game of our in the past.

NWN may be an exception to that, D :)

…just that it wasn’t going to be shown at the E3.

Was it? Interesting, because a few screenshots were released when DA was announced 2 years ago, which led me to believe DA was reasonably far along, like maybe at the halfway point. Where those shots, I dunno, mockups or works-in-progress or something?

Mostly I’m just annoyed we’ve heard nary a peep about DA in two years, and now all of a sudden the hype’s all about Mass Effect. This isn’t PC elitism, it’s wanting to see the game I was shown first get released first, y’know?

You expect a bioware RPG on console to be a console RPG? That’s funny!

Anyway, Casey’s main game design influence is Deus Ex, and I know some of the ideas he had in mind for a game like this long before this game ever started, so I expect it to be pretty goddamned spectacular.

Early prototype work. Nothing more than that. You should see what it looks like now. =]

Mostly I’m just annoyed we’ve heard nary a peep about DA in two years, and now all of a sudden the hype’s all about Mass Effect. This isn’t PC elitism, it’s wanting to see the game I was shown first get released first, y’know?

Oh, I know. That is just not the way its working out this time.

Well, I would if you bastards would stop holdin’ out on me!

sob!

Thanks for the update, tho.

It’s from Bioware, it’s an RPG, it’s on a console; therefore it is, by definition, a Bioware console RPG. But that doesn’t mean it plays like Final Fantasy. Besides, I was being flippant. :-)

Anyway, Casey’s main game design influence is Deus Ex, and I know some of the ideas he had in mind for a game like this long before this game ever started, so I expect it to be pretty goddamned spectacular.

OK, “next-gen Deus Ex” are four words which do far more to pique my interest in ME than anything else I’ve read. :-)

You should have listened to what we said at the time, then. I wrote a column on how it was essentially just a technology demo that should never have been shown so early.

I believe they mentioned that it’s not even an '06 game. (The comment was something along the lines of, “the release date is still measured in years.”) I figure about a year after the hype train starts would be when to expect its release…

I’m guessing they announced it so early to placate PC gamers worried that they had “forgotten their roots”.

That’s just our point, you bastard! ;) We should see what it looks like now!

Correct.